Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-17-2008

Default Satellite TV

The Bella Mia has an old (1997) satellite antenna and dish network receiver. I checked on getting that working and essentially the old TV stuff isn't worth trying to make work. So I am considering a new satellite system. I don't think I need in motion and just wondering what you fellows recommend. I have Dish network at home however I have called then to ask questions about use in a motorhome and the poor buggers are just all fussed up when I take them off track and tell them that "no it will not be hooked up to a phone line" So I don't know what antenna to get or whether I want to go Dish or DirectV. For that matter I guess my first question is about what is this going to cost me and then I will have to consider a cost benefit ratio. I know that I don't want a tripod set up. I would want it to be convenient to use and a no hassle deal. Can't think I would be wanting to watch TV while going down the road. Seems like that might be a conflict of interests. What do you suggest and just a ball park on the costs.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-17-2008
95 WB 42

John
I have Dish at home and on our coach. Added receiver in coach tied to our home bill as add on.
Cost to us is $5 mo for extra receiver+$5 charge because not hooked up to phone line.
Call Dish any rep should be able to explain costs.
We us an inmotion dish that will connect to Direct or Dish with simple dip switch settings our inmotion was only $250 more than non-motion system.
Almost forgot our dish is Wineguard operates OK most of time will loose signal if trees or other obstructions block view to south.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 11-17-2008
Forum Moderator

Motosat John
Old 11-17-2008

Wink lots of options

Since you have dish at home, it only makes sense to have dish in your coach.

How much do you watch TV and what channels do you watch are the questions to be answered. If you don't watch much TV or you mostly watch USA, ESPN, Fox News, etc., then a simple crank up satellite with an elevation meter is all you need. In my case, 98% of what I watch is on sat 119. For this I think you will spend $200-$350. If occasionaly you want to watch a channel on sat 110 (eg. Halmark channel), then just retune dish. Once you have located 119, then you can memorize how many cranks down and how many clicks to repoint. The beauty of this dish is that it works for Direct or Dish. Just look up the co-ordinates and point.

I just bought a tripod and a 1000.2 dish network dish. I am amazed at how easy it is to set up if you can see the tv screen. Level, set elevation, and aim. You pick up 3 sats at once (110,119,129). I attached a dish mast to my rear ladder and transport the dish there. You need to be sure and tighten the bolts. I have about $130.00 in it. I bought it from ebay.

If you are into High definition, then you will need a dish that can pick up from 3 to 5 satellites at the same time. In that case, I would recommend a stationary automatic dish with multple LNB's. I am not sure, but I think they are around $1500 to $2000.

I have a tracvision L3 and it does not work well with dish. It worked great with Directv, non high definition, that only used one satellite (101). Once dish network is found, it tracks down the road fine.

The only times I appreciate the tracking down the road, is when I am parking , so I can ensure satellite reception, getting weather while enroute, and listen to a sports game. In truth, I see no use in getting tracking while you drive, except for parking for the night. For $200-$300 extra, I would get tracking while you drive. However, you will have more problems with them versus the stationary multi-LNB dish. No matter which one I bought, I would make sure it was multiple output, so that you can run more than one dish receiver.

Hope I have helped.

Richard

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 11-17-2008

Default Satellite TV

John & all:

Martha and I went through this a couple of months ago. We wanted new flat screens but didn't want to have to spend another 2 G's or more to have a satellite system put in. Problem solved with a new Wingard HD compatible rotating antenna and digital controller. Now we get 15-20 stations off air unless we are in a remote area out of range of commericial stations. I realize a lot of folk want their satellite stations on the road, and I would too except for the extremely high costs.
Old 11-17-2008

We went with the HDTV route and automation. We paid just over $2k, for a MotoSat unit which can be set for either Dish or Direct. A friend and I installed the unit ourselves which was an easy one-day job. We got the larger of the two MotoSat antenna's so that we'd have a stronger signal.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 11-17-2008

I have Dish with L3 TracVision. It is packaged with the home service with the motor home being identified as B location. The TracVision has always worked well until recently. Dish changed software on sat 110 so I will have to change software in the antenna. The only thing I lost of any consequence is ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox, otherwise it works well. I hear there are other in motion antennae that are probably more user friendly. Mine has been in the coach about 7 years.
The biggest hurdle is getting a sub contractor from Dish or Direct that understands the location is in a motor home and it moves. That seems to be a foreign concept to them.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 11-18-2008
Senior

a few lessons are in order<laughing>. I owned a satellite company for almost 5 years until I got bored with silly people calling at 2AM Sunday night asking for help only to find out they were attempting to use their cell phone as a receiver remote control.

1. Dont ever ask Dish network ( or Direct ) questions unless you already know the answers and can live with them. Why even bring up the question of a phone line? You do not need it nor is it required unless you want to instantly authorize movies etc on Dish. The Dish receiver in my home is not connected to a phone line and never has been and I am not charged one single dime extra.

2. If you want a receiver for your coach dont even bring up the question of installing it in a motorhome, unless of course you want someone to get excited on the other end of the phone line and drive you crazy. They could actually care less where you install the second receiver just pay the extra $5/month and they are happy. In fact you should actually temporarily install it in place of the one you have installed at home and have the second receiver authorized there just to eliminate some extra steps in the motorhome.

3. You do NOT need an antenna that can receive 3-5 satellites in order to receive HDTV. The normal Dish antenna works fine, its the new receiver that you need.

4. If you can work on your BB you can install a satellite antenna and receiver in your coach. If you have trouble call me.
6V92
Old 11-18-2008

John we use a KVH stationary dome type setup with Direct TV (personal choice) We take a receiver out of the house and put it in the coach when we travel. That equals "no charge", I love "no charge" The Dome was a snap to install.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-18-2008

Wink You do need a HD receiver

It is absolutely true that you have to have an HD receiver in order receive HD channels (as well as a HD TV) from Dish or Directv. It is also true that a standard dish will receive HD channels for your HD receiver.

However, with Dish network and Directv, you will need to receive multiple satellites in order for your HD receiver to receive HD channels. All of the HD channels for Dish are on satellites 110 and 129 (which there are over 100). But you need to also receive satellite 119 because most of the SD (standard definition) channels are there. ESPN SD is located on satellite 119. ESPN HD is located on satellite 110. ESPN2 SD is located on satellite 119. ESPN2 HD is located on satellite 129. Therefore to watch ESPN SD, ESPN HD, ESPN2 SD, and ESPN2 HD, your receiver will need to see three satelites.

Who wants to watch SD when you can watch HD. The answer is no one. After watching Football in HD, you feel that you have lost your eyesight when watching in SD. I normally watch HD ESPN or HD ESPN2 (depending on what game they are broadcasting) on Satellite and use my off air antenna to watch CBS, ABC HD football games(you must have a HD TV). My dish network HD receiver does not carry the major networks in HD, therefore I must use my off air antenna to pick them up. So far I have found all off air antennas will pick up HD stations if you have an HD TV.

Good watching

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon