Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-07-2009

Default Driving Lights Will Not Stay Down

Fellows, My list of projects is getting shorter. There are a couple things I am hoping to do at Tom's rally in June (things I need some help with). However, I want to do as much as I can for myself.

These driving lights are working but they will not stay down. I don't know if the problem is electrical or "air". I suspect its air and am wondering if, with a little help from my friends online, if I can "fix" this. The symptoms are as follows.( I know that they only work on high beam.) They will swing down and come on and in short order they go off (I assume they retract) then in a minute or so come back on. This will continue as long as you drive.

If anyone has had similar let me know what is involved and then I guess I'll decide to either tackle this or let it go until the rally.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-07-2009
Forum owner

the only thing i can add is too be very careful working around those swing down lights,watch your fingers!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-07-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Fellows, My list of projects is getting shorter. There are a couple things I am hoping to do at Tom's rally in June (things I need some help with). However, I want to do as much as I can for myself.

These driving lights are working but they will not stay down. I don't know if the problem is electrical or "air". I suspect its air and am wondering if, with a little help from my friends online, if I can "fix" this. The symptoms are as follows.( I know that they only work on high beam.) They will swing down and come on and in short order they go off (I assume they retract) then in a minute or so come back on. This will continue as long as you drive.

If anyone has had similar let me know what is involved and then I guess I'll decide to either tackle this or let it go until the rally.
John.

If you need the diagram for the driving lights on your 'Bird, I just added a PDF file of that to the database yesterday, it was provided by Curt Sprenger, go to;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE > Index of Downloaded Manuals and Files in Forums Software Database

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-07-2009

John:
As your list gets shorter, does this mean you start looking for another coach???
Old 05-07-2009

No way Bill, This one is a keeper. The next step would be a 95 or later with a series "60" and I could make a list a mile long as to why that can't and will not happen. I would not be happy without some "projects" but it could slow down a little now without upsetting me too much. From experience I know a fellow is never done done. But I am actually pretty well along.

Interestingly, just a while back I started listing what I did each day as I worked on the bus. It is surprising just how much is accomplished. Last couple days I fixed the w/s washer, the radar detector and along with cleaning and detailing I had a list of about 15 "items" in about a week. Most all small stuff. Replaced a ballast in one of the DC lights. On and On. I make a list of what is "to do" and then what is actually done. If the weather gets halfway dry I want to complete the detailing on the outside of the bus and apply the paint guard pus protectant. That will take a while.

These lights might be a bit much for me. Fingers are important. I am not too proud to say its too much. Plus being under the bus isn't the best place for me to be perhaps.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-07-2009

John:
I hear ya, I have made a list as well, it is divided into sections, which included the estimated cost, actual cost, small title, how I would think I would like to fix it, and of course, how it was actually fixed. I also update each drawing, as I find new or update things.
Most of this is done while I am at work, at home I find myself too busy with the actual fixing of things LOL.

I have thought of getting a bigger coach, but I too find myself very happy with this coach - NOW IF I CAN ONLY GET THE GENERATOR THING TO WORK.
Old 05-07-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipvendor50 View Post
John:
I have thought of getting a bigger coach, but I too find myself very happy with this coach - NOW IF I CAN ONLY GET THE GENERATOR THING TO WORK.
We want to see pictures of the gennie.
Old 05-07-2009

Bill:
Soon as I got the exhaust system installed, look under my thread about the gennie.
Sorry for hijacking this thread there John.
Old 05-08-2009

Default Up date on the driving lights

I aired up the bus and dropped the driving lights and did a visual exam. All seems to be in order with the air, electric and mechanics. Here is the odd thing. With the bus sitting still the lights cycle on and off. And pretty much on the same on again off again time frame, almost like on a timer or would there be some type of heat protection involved? I assumed apparently wrongly that it has something to do with road vibrations or wind hitting the lights. Apparently not so. Any thoughts?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-08-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I aired up the bus and dropped the driving lights and did a visual exam. All seems to be in order with the air, electric and mechanics. Here is the odd thing. With the bus sitting still the lights cycle on and off. And pretty much on the same on again off again time frame, almost like on a timer or would there be some type of heat protection involved? I assumed apparently wrongly that it has something to do with road vibrations or wind hitting the lights. Apparently not so. Any thoughts?
How about the relay or the circuit breaker being bad.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11