Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 11-27-2019
Twiisted71

Default DDEC and transmission control

I"ve looked at a couple of threads re DDEC systems but can't definitively answer a couple of questions
1. Does the DDEC control the transmission on the early DDEC I and II equipped buses?
2. IF not could a mechanical IP engine be swapped in easily?
3. What are common engines used to swap out for an 8v92? Will one of the OTR truck CAT or Cummins 6 bangers from the 70s-80s fit in a PT38-PT40 and WBs?
Old 11-27-2019
Administrator

8V92 & 6V, rebuild in frame, no need to replace, I think replacement with Cat/Cummins would be a nightmare and very difficult to complete

Last edited by Bill Pape; 11-27-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2019

It would be difficult to find an engine that would fit in that area that can make the 450 to 500 HP needed just to keep up with traffic and pull any hills. I was suprising the HP and torque needed for just normal driving and going up small inclines after I installed my Silveleaf. Not many options out there. If there was lots of WOGers would have been all over it years ago.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 11-27-2019
Twiisted71

I tend to be a #6 sugar in #5 bag kind of guy. I've seen some crazy stuff though like one guy built a "trunk" on his bus to fit an inline 6-71 where a 6v resided originally. I don't want to ruin the lines of our RV though. I'd love to find one with a blown drivetrain and plop the body onto an extended Pete or better yet a 6x6 AutoCar chassis complete with front engine and nose! Heresy I know, but then I could have it ALL! In my mind
Old 11-27-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
I tend to be a #6 sugar in #5 bag kind of guy. I've seen some crazy stuff though like one guy built a "trunk" on his bus to fit an inline 6-71 where a 6v resided originally. I don't want to ruin the lines of our RV though. I'd love to find one with a blown drivetrain and plop the body onto an extended Pete or better yet a 6x6 AutoCar chassis complete with front engine and nose! Heresy I know, but then I could have it ALL! In my mind
Go for it, start a thread, we love projects, Here is an engine change thread.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ghlight=MD3060
Old 11-27-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
How much money do you have to spend on a bus with a blown engine?
How about a 93 or so Wide Body 40 with a blown 8v92?
I know where theres one,just waiting for you!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-27-2019
Forum owner

Twisted,give us some back ground info on yourself.
Can you do that conversion to a Cat or Cummins youself?
Forklift on site?
Welders and torches and all that stuff?
I would love to see a conversion going on,like you speak of.
I think it could be done.

I have seen some frames cut off and a class 8 truck welded to the front,the FCs are the best chassis for that,since the engine is in the front and the driveshaft already has a place to live.
And the rearend is facing the right way.
Interesting stuff.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-27-2019

All good as long as insurance is available for the result, and there's no hopes or dreams regarding return on investment. Most likely 10 cents on the dollar and a half.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-27-2019
Twiisted71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Twisted,give us some back ground info on yourself.
Can you do that conversion to a Cat or Cummins youself?
Forklift on site?
Welders and torches and all that stuff?
I would love to see a conversion going on,like you speak of.
I think it could be done.

I have seen some frames cut off and a class 8 truck welded to the front,the FCs are the best chassis for that,since the engine is in the front and the driveshaft already has a place to live.
And the rearend is facing the right way.
Interesting stuff.
Hey Randy, I know there are lots of keyboard commandos with big dreams after too many nights watching Youtube vids!. My back ground is growing up commercial fishing in the Loozyana Gulf and waters. We built our own boats (one 36'er from a bare hull (no decks, floors, nothing. Another 30'er with cabin)we rented a mold and did EVERYTHING on that one al hand laid 'glass. We made all our own rigging from steel and aluminum, made our own nets etc. After I graduated I went to the oilfield boats, rigs, and OTR trucking. So long as its not computer controlled I'd feel comfortable tackling most anything. I blew out my back about 10 years ago and that has SERIOUSLY slowed my projects. My current one is a Jeep YJ that I'm stretching to Scrambler length and putting a Cummins 4BT 3.9 and 1 ton truck running gear in with custom coilover suspension on 37s built for comfort to accommodate my back
I have most everything short of a forklift. (and the 3/4" ratchet/socket set I sold years ago that will be getting replaced soon).
If this wasn't a time sensitive purchase I think I would be highly interested in that blown engine bus. I already know where there is a fantastic 6v92 turbo/9 speed truck for a song (under $4K)!

Out of curiousity, what part of the country is that 40WB? (don't tell my wife I'm asking!)
Old 11-27-2019
Twiisted71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
All good as long as insurance is available for the result, and there's no hopes or dreams regarding return on investment. Most likely 10 cents on the dollar and a half.
Mike I usually insure my builds with specialty insurance companies. Hagerty will insure some strange stuff!
So far as return, I've gotten my money (not time) back on all my projects. Rare I know, but by being a hands-on scrounger my stuff usually comes in WAY cheaper $$-wise than I see others quoting what they have into things. Perhaps they are paying themselves $100/hr during build time. Personally I see it as therapy and what would I be doing otherwise? Can only watch Laramie reruns so much!