Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-23-2009
cmillsap

Default Driving Lights Inoperable

This is my first thread as I am a new member. I just purchased a 2000 Wanderlodge LXI and am hoping some WOG members may have the answer to my problem.
The Fog/Driving Lights switch on the left console does not power the lower driving lights on. The small green light connected to the switch doesn't lite. There is no power on the 13080 BK 18GA circuit that powers the Driving Lights relay solonoid (terminals 85 or 86 on the relay. There is 12VDC at terminal #30 ( 13088 BK 14 GA from the hot stud) on the relay.
I cannot find a fuse that protects the 13080 BK 18 GA control circuit if there is one. If anyone is familiar with the Driving Lights Circuity, I would appreciate your input. It's been a while since I have read electricial schematics and these are pretty sophisticated.
Old 07-23-2009
Forum Moderator

Not sure on the 2000 set up but my 94 has fog lights which will not come on unless the headlights are on and on low beam. I've heard that if you have driving lights then they only come on with high beams. Worth a try
Old 07-23-2009

Chuck,

Rob is correct, well at least in my case, the fog/driving lights whatever you choose to call them only come on when the high beams are on. Give it a try. I have a '95 PT 42. I've asked some of the old BB guys why they did the wiring like that and all they could say was ask the engineers.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 07-23-2009
cmillsap

You are absolutely correct, Never dawned on me that the driving lights only work with the high beams?? I noticed the first time I drove the coach at night the low beam headlamps weren't very bright and really a safety issue. I just assumed that the driving lights worked whenever the switch was activated. I would think that a re-wire would be in order as the direction and intensity of those lights shouldn't be a hazard to oncoming traffic. Certainally, not as bright as the hi-intensity headlamps so many vehicles are equipped with nowadays.

Thanks so much for your response,

Chuck
P.S. Not withstanding this minor problem, I am so pleased with the quality of this coach. I should have owned one sooner instead of spending 12 years in a S.O.B.
Old 07-23-2009

FWIW
It seems backwards to me that the driving/fog lights only work with the high beams on. (On my 1980 FC they work anytime.) The reason for fog lights is to have a strong beam of light directed down to the road so that you don't get reflection from the fog as with high beams. Likewise, when used as driving lights they throw a strong beam of light on the road so that it does not blind other drivers like high beams do.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 07-23-2009

Foglights work on low beam. Driving lights work on high beam. In my state that is also the law.

My headlights also were not satisfactory. I swapped out the headlight bulbs with Sylvania SilverStar bulbs. I am happy now.

Just my $0.02 worth.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-23-2009

HHHUUUUMMMM,

It appears that someone mislabled the switch on my dashboard.

Switch sez fog lights.

They look like fog lights.

Their aimed at the road like fog lights.

They must be fog lights.

But they function like driving lights.

Go figure.

If I were you guys I'd check the 7 way trailer plug to, Bluebird used some creative wiring there to.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 07-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post
You are absolutely correct, Never dawned on me that the driving lights only work with the high beams?? I noticed the first time I drove the coach at night the low beam headlamps weren't very bright and really a safety issue. I just assumed that the driving lights worked whenever the switch was activated. I would think that a re-wire would be in order as the direction and intensity of those lights shouldn't be a hazard to oncoming traffic. Certainally, not as bright as the hi-intensity headlamps so many vehicles are equipped with nowadays.

Thanks so much for your response,

Chuck
P.S. Not withstanding this minor problem, I am so pleased with the quality of this coach. I should have owned one sooner instead of spending 12 years in a S.O.B.
Chuck,
Your signature shows Bull Head City, AZ. Please check my signature and join SWBB. We love folks signing up with us and joining in the fun.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 07-24-2009
Former Bird Owner

Kurt,

Perhaps they just randomly picked a stencil for the dash markings... My coach is marked as driving lights -- and they work like driving lights (on with heads on high beam). I note that they get a little battered down so low on the bumper.

The ones that bother me are the 'back up lights' ... these would be really handy to have to light up while disconnecting the toad in the dark -- unfortunately, they only operate with the engine on and set in reverse. I accept that turning on such bright backing lights while going down the road forward would be a serious safety hazard to following vehicles -- but it's too bad they don't have a separate switch.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 07-24-2009
Administrator

Our 88 FC is labeled Driving lights, I removed the 12 volt power source from the trunsignal switch, rewired, added a fuse and the switch now turns the driving lights On or Off, any time they are needed.