Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-06-2014
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
my regulator was in a box beside the generator, your generator is doing exactly what mine did with a bad regulator
That's a good thing that your symptoms were the same, perhaps I am complicating things and it is just a bad regulator after all.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 04-06-2014
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
In my Perkins/kohler control box there is a relay called the CR relay. It is a three poll double throw clear plastic relay. When there is AC voltage generated it picks this relay. One of the sets of points enables the stop switch circuit. So if the CR relay does not pick (bad relay or no AC) the stop switch will not work.

The stop switch grounds the same circuit that the over temp and low oil pressure switch ground, so if the stop switch doesn't work it is likely the CR relay did not pick and the over temp and low oil pressure switch can't cause the shutdown.

You stated that the fan runs, so there is AC being generated. Is it possible the CR relay has failed or the wiring is loose or broken. The voltage regulators are very expensive, and not returnable

30 seconds is a long time for the engine to run with no AC present, normally it will quit as soon as the start switch is released. I would look at the CR relay points to see if they are burned and not working consistently. I had an issue with burned points on the CR relay and did some magic with a bosch relay to compensate.

Another set of points in the CR relay supply 12 volts to the B terminal of the voltage regulator. This gives the generator voltage to start generating power. Once it is generating power and the CR relay picks, the 12 volts is routed to the switch light. So if the switch light doesn't come on, the relay either failed or did not get AC to pick it.

I know this is complicated,, and I have moments of lucid thinking so I can sometimes figure this stuff out, but it passes quickly.
Gardner,this is a very good explanation of the series of events.
Thanks.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
That's a good thing that your symptoms were the same, perhaps I am complicating things and it is just a bad regulator after all.
I paid the Kohler dealer close to $100 for their tech to diagnose it and tell me I had a bad regulator, then he told me under the table to buy it from someone else because theirs was $500, the one I got was like $175
Old 04-06-2014

Similar issue. Was having the oil changed in my 8V92 at a Cummins dealer (Detroit did not allow the local Detroit shop to work on 2 cycle diesels, go figure that out) and told the tech my generator problem. He checked and said I needed a regulator, and that he could order it for about $500, but I should call "this guy" and gave me a phone number. The person who answered was a old man who had built gen sets for the mining industry. He had the correct part number for $350. Then he offered the same part (same manufacturer same specs) made for a different company for $150. Been working perfect for a couple years now. The tech installed the new part, labor $50. Sometimes a person gets lucky.

The explanation of how the relays work on the gen set is great! There are some very helpful people on this board.
Old 04-07-2014

Smile

Thanks so much guys this definitely gives me something to check and work but now it's raining cats and dogs outside. If this keeps up I'll have to wait until I get home to do any repairs. Thanks again I'll post a reply when I get this gen going again.
Old 11-08-2014

Default Battery isolation switch

Hey Randy,
I'd like to be able to completely isolate my batteries for when I store the 'bird in winter time. Sure, I can disconnect the cable from the battery bank to the 12v buss bar, but a switch would be nice. Any idea what I'd need to use? What would be ideal would be a remote 12v switch operating a relay that cuts the batteries off. Has anyone done anything like that?
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 11-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
Hey Randy,
I'd like to be able to completely isolate my batteries for when I store the 'bird in winter time. Sure, I can disconnect the cable from the battery bank to the 12v buss bar, but a switch would be nice. Any idea what I'd need to use? What would be ideal would be a remote 12v switch operating a relay that cuts the batteries off. Has anyone done anything like that?
Yes I have thought about it but abandoned the idea as you would need a relay capable of 1000 amps or better. It would be a big sucker and mounting it could be a nightmare.
I'll consider it again when I become too old and feeble to throw a manual switch.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 11-08-2014

I looked at this one, also in a non locking, and also one with an LED indicator.

FMCA 387867
Old 11-15-2014
Huggie

Default Potential Alternator Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
this is the place to talk about wiring,batterys etc.
anybody want to talk?
Randy
help, Drove my SP36 Home to Houston from Austin yesterday, While driving home I noticed the Tach would jump around as well as the Speedometer. Got home Ok parked at my local Church Lot last night, Gong to put it in my rented storage garage. I noticed the Coach lights were dim when I checked on it this morning. I needed to move it before church tomorrow cranked it up and it was a little sluggish starting but it only takes a bump to start. I noticed my air alarm buzzer was not working, Air Pressure went up and could not get the steps to retract. Drove around the parking lot a minute and they finall retracted. Getting close to dark I tuned on the lights very dim, Windshield wipers barely work and finally lights finally went out, Engine still running but getting dark and pulled over to leave it for the night. I am suspect of the alternator now, I guess the bus ran on coach batteries and then drew from the coach batteries.
The Amp meter does not work so cannot tell if alternagtor working. Is it possible to jump the alternator coach batteries and run for a while to charge coach. Only need to drive about 5 miles, Have power in my storage to charge for now. I did not want to damage Gen by jumping the house bats. Hopefully I can charge the coach enought to get to the storage, It never quit running until I parked it, was dark and had to pull over.
Mike
HUGGIE BEAR
281-853-4569
Old 11-15-2014

Mike,

What is the indicated battery voltage? That's a good first step to discern if your batteries are low, or if you have some different problem.

Assuming your batteries are low, and weren't being charged by the alternator (quite possible), you can start the generator and charge your batteries that way until the alternator issue is diagnosed and resolved.

Your coach originally should have came with 2 40 amp chargers. They are powered by AC, and will operate with the generator.

Even with the amp gauge non functional, observing the battery voltage gauge will indicate if the batteries are charging without difficulty.

Post some additional detail, and we can then further diagnose the problem.
Linden, Michigan