Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > First-Timers and Newcomers

First-Timers and Newcomers Are you a first-timer, newcomer, or even a "wannabe"? This is the place to get your questions anwered.

Site Search:

Old 02-18-2010

Default Made it down the hill!

I picked up my first BB last Friday, and got it home from NC on Saturday night. It was parked between the house and garage until an hour ago as it was too wide and tall to fit between them. A friend who helped me build my pole barn down in the yard helped me. We took off the corner of the house and garage and it fit! It is a squeeze but with a liberal coating of Vaseline it wiggled down the hill. It had to miss a 5' wide 200 year old oak tree, the rear deck and my bride's water feature next to the veggie garden. At least the front can be pulled over the concrete pad and not be working in the snow or stones. He is coming back to finish the metal work on Saturday. The alternative is to store it somewhere but my yard is very secure. We have watchdogs and they are alert. They were leary of the bus, barking and carrying on. They know something is different. Rick in NW Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 02-18-2010

I remember years ago I picked up my first bird. First thing I did was step on the horn button.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 02-18-2010

Default Air Horn

I still do that on occasion and it still surprises me! I think the main reason is lack of use and I really need to be on the road more!

Ned
Auburn, Alabama
Old 02-18-2010

Your story reminds me of the time when a friend bought an old City of Atlanta trolley car that had been a barn for about 50 years. The wheels and axles (I think trolley people call that the "trucks") had been removed and he literally spent months jacking this thing up onto railroad ties for loading onto the back of a low boy trailer.

When we got home it wouldn't fit in his back yard. The turn was too sharp for the trailer, so my friend got his chainsaw and cut off about 3 feet off one corner of his screened porch - from roof to floor joists.

I think the trolley is still sitting in the back yard 25 years later.
Old 02-18-2010

Not the first time I had to alter something to make something else fit. I used to race 150 mph go karts. We worked on it in my shop in my attached garage. In race trim it weighed 270 lbs and was shaped like a punkin seed. An eight foot long three foot wide punkin seed! It had a carbon fiber and kevlar body to make it aerodynamic but also too wide to fit through the door without tilting it at about a 45 degree angle. The shape was so slippery it would almost get dropped. So I cut the door over to the next stud and put a stainless steel piano hinge in so it would swing out. It works great so now the go karts are gone but I store the motorcycle I am riding in there and the handlebars just fit through. Rick in Ohio

I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 02-18-2010
Forum owner

Thats a fast go-cart,i would love to see a pic of it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-18-2010

Default 150mph go-kart

We ran at Daytona, Charlotte, Talledega, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, Road AMerica, and in Michigan MIS, Gingerman and Grattan. It would go 1.59 on the road course at Daytona. Faster than any stock car. Some of the prototype stuff they run in the 24 hours of Daytona was faster with 200+ on the front stretch but we were lots faster on the infield part of the track. My driver would not let off the gas til he saw GOD going into a corner. We had prototype brakes that no one else had. Used a RS125 Honda roadrace motorcycle engine/trans. It made 47 horsepower. I have some pics. I had a 53mm delOrto carb on it. Was just like an Indy car without suspension. Liquid cooled, three on board air jacks you just plug in and up it came!

I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther