Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 11-11-2011
BB Restorator

Default Storage

Should I store it with air bags deflated (which they seem to do on their own anyhow) and the jacks down or is better to run it once a week , keep the jacks up and the air bags up?
[URL="http://www.pentagonpaintball.com"]www.pentagonpaintball.com[/URL]
Wine is Good for all! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-11-2011
95 WB 42

Sean

I store with jacks up to protect the shafts from the elements.
Air bags deflated they have internal rubber stops they rest on.
I am lucky to have inside storage.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 11-11-2011
RV Appraiser

IMO, none of the above. This is another one of those questions like which, batteries, tires and such is better. My 2 cents worth, store it with air down & jacks up, make sure it is winterized (plumbing), batteries are in good fully charged condition then I would disconnect the batteries with a mechanical disconnect swtich mounted on the battery terminals on each bank. The reason you don't want the jacks down is they were not designed to stay down for extended periods of time. They may rust and pit and damage the seals while retracting. Disconnect the batteries to remove all power from the coach, after the batteries are fully charges they should hold power during storage and have the umph to start you when you're ready to go again. I've stored my coach for as long as 4.5 months without power on the coach and the batteries would start the bird. During long term storage there is no need to have electrical power to the bird if you have winterized it correctly; plumbing freeze is the greatest concern, but if you're in Key West it may not be an issue. Freeze heaters in the bird were not intended for long term storage while the coach is unattended, their purpose is to keep your plumbing from freezing until you can get it to warmer climate or winterized properly. Good luck and ask more questions if needed
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 11-11-2011
Administrator

Ed & John know the drill, good advise.

With the BB, Fort Valley Georgia winterization method in the owners Manual, it may work in Georgia.
But for long harsh winters, blow the pipes out , bypass the hwh, pump in the pink stuff, and blow it out again, leaving the Pink stuff in the drains and holding tanks. These old Bird have copper plumbing, they quickly split when water is frozen, water hides in elbows and low spots, air pressure just pushes the water around and the air passes through.
Every season we have members with leaking plumbing, some times the water blow out systems works fine, then in another year it does not work so well.
Winterization & storage in a freezing climate should not be underestimated.
Old 11-12-2011

Question

I have had two birds, stored both with the air down, sitting on the internal stops. I had a bad bag (leaking on the fold) so I did some research and wound up talking to customer service at Firestone. They told me there bags should NEVER be empty, they should always be kept at not less than 15lbs.
I now store the Bird (with new bags) on the jacks, keeping most of the weight off the tires and bags. I am sure this is better for the tires and bags, but not sure if overall I will pay for this on jack repair. Time will tell.