Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-12-2018

Default New bird, first bird: 1987 PT40 came home saturday

Former wannabe here, accidentally scored a deal on a PT40 (walk through bath and east/west bed) that I just couldn't pass up - we'd pretty much stopped looking for a bus, for now, to focus on other things (and we were pretty focused on buses with glass in the rear wall), when this showed up on the market locally.

We were first to see it - and first to get it started, generator and A/C online (and it was a 124 degree heat index at the time...). Thanks to a few short notice calls to WOGer "oldschool" to help with that!

Someone else came by while we were there, but we put a deposit on it before we left last Monday. No opportunity (time constrained by the storage facility) to test drive, so we did that this past Saturday. Took local WOGer John Janisaitis with me for a double check as well, and sealed the deal after the drive.

Big thanks to John for helping monback me through the fuel stop (5 feet and +1 axle over anything else I've driven that wasn't a trailer, and more tail swing to boot) and the incredibly tight fit into the driveway and it's parking spot.

Tons of pictures from the initial inspections uploaded here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/39493070@N02/91Wp48
(link fixed, though flickr is having some internal issues, so might take a reload or two.)

It's far from perfect - the previous owners basically never used it except to have CDL drivers drive it to work sites a few times (search and rescue), so it spent most of it's last 4 years under storage roof.

Originally sold in Tampa, it changed hands a few times before ending up in Green Cove Springs, FL - then it was sold to the folks I bought it from (in Orange City, FL), and now it lives in Geneva.

High on the list of things to do: a real tire inspection (that one is gonna have to go for sure), do a full mechanical service (zero service records since the original owner), send some fluid samples off for analysis, replace all the rotten stereo speakers (6 ordered), all 14 interior gas springs, both engine lid gas springs, and only needs 2 side compartment springs (all ordered today).

I need to figure out why the "check trans" light is lit.

I need to figure out a better mirror system - no front view mirrors that let me see the nose/bumper make for a particular challenge, and the flat mirrors don't let me see the rear roof corners.

The rear view camera has been replaced (original is in the hole, but monitor long gone), but it might have already burned out on me (since it stays on when the ignition is off...), but leaves a lot to be desired in it's visibility range.

Need to figure out how to snug up the telescoping steering wheel...it's fun to have it raise/fall when hitting a bump.

Already tested and ordered replacement power seat control switches - when the new used parts arrive I'll test the seat motors out...but right now, they were only getting 1 switch on each side, in one direction, sending power. These were super familiar to me from working on GM cars back in the day - I rebuilt a lot of this style by hand. I tore one down, but my time today is a lot more valuable than it was in the mid 90s.... and ebay is a thing.

Removed the poorly installed front TV - it was pulling the wall apart. Attempted to repair the front AC housing - Pelican II installed by Parliament, and they did a really really bad job of it. Replacement inner housing on its way to repair the damage they did hopefully - though my initial impression is that I really hate this AC unit. it's the loudest of the 3, and the newest. The middle is almost whisper quiet (haven't tried to figure out what is yet), and the rear is...expected for an original equipment unit.

Someone (perhaps the factory? the top is very close to the same, but not exactly) removed the original "XV style" living room cabinet (per the invoice) and replaced it with a 90s era wood cabinet at the end of the dinette. That's gotta go and get refigured. Whoever did it built a new valence along the floor in that area, so that, too, will have to be sorted.

No curtains at all (have the front glass perf shade though), so need to track down a set - anyone making them? I don't have anything to use for templates to DIY, and have no idea what kind of hardware would be on them to hook to the power tracks... one motor is (apparently) bad, others work.

No jack, and only part of what looks to be a lug wrench. 3 out of 4 of the diamond plate aluminum leveler plates.

Oh, and the cruise control - per a Parliament receipt - was stuck holding speed, so they flagged it as unrepairable and disabled it. (I haven't tested it at all).

There was an air leak at/near the retarder control handle (left knee area) when it was all the way up (full off?) - moving the handle down (full on?) resolved it for the moment. haven't investigated or tested further. retard didn't really feel like it was working (no apparent difference with or without the switch turned on, lever still full down).

It's missing the blue box - but does seem to have all the paperwork. Love to find a replacement box.

Is the guy who made clocks still making them? Mary wants one after seeing John's in his FC...

Oh, and some roof leaks to resolve. The one that caused the bathroom damage (sigh), presumably the metal vent (fridge?), and one less obvious that's leaking into the living room upper cabinet behind an inner cover, my guess would be via the sat and antenna cables and their big hole covered with silicone. need to get a real cable penetration installed....

drivers side front awning, spring is broke/disconnected/something. it just rolled right out when tugged on. big awning needs some work - bad lock on the front end of it. missing the proper pull rod tool, too. we made do with an old tractor linkage....but.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7825-scaled.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	55951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7807-scaled.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	55952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7808-scaled.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	55953  

Last edited by keen; 06-12-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2018

That is a lovely machine. Congrats. Memories ahead of you!

Patrick Crow
Boise Idaho
1985 FC35SB
Old 06-12-2018

That’s the vintage classic right there!
Beautiful bus and thank you for saving her
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 06-12-2018

Welcome .... it appears you have a good handle on what needs to be done. This is the place for help!
Turn the horn knob in the middle of the wheel to lock the wheel height
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-12-2018
tintent

congrats.
. I am on my second bird so I am just a rookie take time to enjoy the work to .
Old 06-12-2018

Congrats again and no thanks needed. Looks like you've been busy since we talked. You've got my number if you need anything.

Tony Welch
Madison, Virginia
1986 PT 36
1983 FC 31
1986 23ft Travelmaster
mctireman@gmail.com
540-718-3392
Old 06-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by atckip View Post
Welcome .... it appears you have a good handle on what needs to be done. This is the place for help!
Turn the horn knob in the middle of the wheel to lock the wheel height
sadly tight doesnt stop it from moving, it only reduces how easy it moves.

I'm hoping there's an adjustment in there since it's just a friction clamp - I'd imagine this is a common adjustment on people carriers in service where the wheel gets adjusted 2-4 times a day.... just have to figure it out.
Old 06-12-2018

I forgot to say, I'm glad you bought cause you would've put me in the 2 Bird club quick !

Tony Welch
Madison, Virginia
1986 PT 36
1983 FC 31
1986 23ft Travelmaster
mctireman@gmail.com
540-718-3392
Old 06-12-2018
Forum owner

Pop the center out of the wheel and you will see how that lock works.
easy peasy.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-12-2018

Congrats. Looks like a great bird. Thought I was familiar with all locations throughout Florida, but not Geneva, so I looked it up. 6 miles from my office. LOL. if I can be of any assistance, feel free to reach out.

Bragg Crane
2002 Country Coach (SOB)
94 BMC 37 - Sold 2017
86 Prevost -40 (Royal) Sold
1970 National 36 - Sold
98 Jeep TJ