Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 10-15-2008

Hi Bim,

Ask Ernie about them. We rebuilt his two this past summer at Livingston. The easiest way to get the eyeball apart is to smash out the bulb with a hammer and pick out the broken pieces of glass with needle-nosed pliers. This allows you to completely soak the bulb gasket and inside ring with PB blaster. There is a thin seam that separates the two halves of the eyeball. It will need to soak overnight- then you can usually start to pry and work it apart with a small-bladed screwdriver.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 10-15-2008

Sorry Burt- thought you were "Bim Burt" out of Tejas. Just realized that you are in a different state.

shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 10-15-2008
Forum Moderator

I knew there were guys out there who have been there and done that. Fedeliwerks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Hi Bim,

Ask Ernie about them. We rebuilt his two this past summer at Livingston. The easiest way to get the eyeball apart is to smash out the bulb with a hammer and pick out the broken pieces of glass with needle-nosed pliers. This allows you to completely soak the bulb gasket and inside ring with PB blaster. There is a thin seam that separates the two halves of the eyeball. It will need to soak overnight- then you can usually start to pry and work it apart with a small-bladed screwdriver.
Old 10-15-2008

Thanks Everyone.
Shane, I was so hung up on not doing any damage that breaking the burned out bulb didn't even occur to me. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
Burt
Old 07-05-2009
Complete Greenhorn

Great info, but...

I've got a 3 outta 4 that do not work. Saw the exact replacement fixtures on eBay for $500 a pair. Ouch! I thought that was bad, then I saw the replacement bulbs are priced at $140!!!!!!!!!!

If the bulbs alone are that much, I can live with a flashlight out the window rather than fooling with them. Before I destroy something trying to fix it, is that the going price?

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man
Old 07-05-2009
Gardner

John,
You can use cheap tractor headlights rather than the rediculous $140 bulbs they sell. These things are WAY overpriced for what they are, The new high priced ones are cheap plastic.

Someone will chime in wiht a part number.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-05-2009

You can use regular 12V landscape lights in the housing. They are available at lowes or home depot. As long as they are 12V, round and the same diameter, you're fine. The only difference is that they are floods as opposed to spotlights and lower wattage. The bulbs are 10-15 dollars normally.

shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 07-05-2009
Administrator

Yep,
Any auto parts store, it is a tractor light at a lower wattage, I think it was 50 Watt vs 100 Watt, Soak that housing as not to crack or break it.
As Shane said About $10 vs $100. and the light is very adequate.
Old 07-05-2009
RV Appraiser

Well I just did it yesterday! I shot the heck out of it with WD-40 and patience is not my bag so I just covered the old bulb with a rag and popped it with a hammer. The replacement bulb is a GE 4411 it can be picked up at NAPA or any farm suppy house. The thing you want to make sure is you not break the Zinc Anode ring that hold the bulb in place. These are Morse Docking Lights and the run about $350 a piece. I need the zinc anode ring. Mine is about shot, that is what all the white powder dust is inside the fixture, the zinc is breaking down due to the electrical current/magnetic field around the fixture. What I did find were some (black metal) farm tractor light fixtures which I believe if you pop off their mouting bracket they may fit inside our landing light fixture. The next time I will give that a try, if I can not find the zinc retaining ring. Has anyone found the zinc retaining ring?
The GE 4411 is a 35 watt bulb. It is bright enough. $5.25 at Tractor Supply.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 07-05-2009

A few weeks ago I rebuilt all 4 of my landing lights. Soaked the well with penetrating fluid and let them sit over night. Broke 2 bulbs getting them apart. Two of mine were plastic and 2 were metal. I sand blasted the entire housing and parts. Mine had so much corrosion that I actually had to use bondo to make the outside metal housings smooth again. Then I used epoxy primer to seal all parts. I repainted the outer housings to match the coach and they look like factory. When I took everything apart, 2 of the gaskets were not usable. I'm in the swimming pool business and I found that the gaskets we use for an underwater spa light were a perfect fit. So I replaced the broken gaskets with these. When I reassemble the lights, I used new stainless steel bolts and coated them with the silver anti-seize that you would use on manifold bolts, etc. I used 12 volt landscape bulbs from Lowes. I also cut the terminals ends off the wires and replaced them. Took a few days to complete the job, but they turned out great and work like original.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler