Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > RV Products Review

RV Products Review Do you use or know of a RV related product that you would like to give us your opinion of good or bad, just list it here and be as descriptive as possible about it and be sure to tell us where we can purchase it at.

Site Search:

Old 09-27-2018

Default Mobley replacement?? Harman SPARK

Saw this while surfing!

Like a mobley, obd plugin, but has some restrictions...

https://www.att.com/devices/harman/spark.html

=======================
HARMAN Spark: Mobile App req'd: iOS version 9.0 & higher and Android version 6.0 & higher. Data charges may apply to App download/usage. Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle (compatible w/most 1996 & newer). New or existing AT&T postpaid wireless account req'd. Consumer and Individual/Corporate Responsibility Users only. Telematic Features: Provided by 3rd parties. Must accept terms/conditions in App. Some services may require add'l in-App payment. Location accuracy, availability and timeliness of 3rd party services not guaranteed. Hotspot: Connects up to 8 Wi-Fi capable devices. Geographic restrictions: Coverage & Service not avail. everywhere. Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not avail. outside of U.S., Canada & Mexico. Svc. in Canada & Mexico depends on avail. of unaffiliated carrier coverage. Some telematics features may be limited outside the U.S. or depending on make or model of vehicle. Device restrictions: For in-car use only. Telematics req'd. AT&T reserves right to terminate service if device is plugged into anything other than a vehicle. Video Streaming: Data Free TV not supported. Stream Saver not included.
========================

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 09-27-2018
Goat rails in the sunset

Default Harman Spark on ATTWS

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/a...-harman-spark/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telematics

Cool if ODB2 carries cellular or wireless antenna lead. i don’t know!
Portsmouth, Va
Old 09-27-2018

From the device's Quick Start Guide:

Note: Wi-Fi is turned off automatically after the vehicle has been stationary for 30 minutes, even if the engine is on.

Since the Spark won't be released until 9/28 (tomorrow as I write this), there is no way yet of knowing whether this is true or how much you would have to move the device so it would stay active. It has a built in GPS so it knows how much you're moving.

The press release also states that telematics is required (via a downloaded app), so the Spark may be checking to see if it's getting data from the vehicle's onboard computers. If true, this would mean you couldn't use an external power supply to run it like you can a Mobley.

My guess is that AT&T required Harman to include these "features" to avoid the Spark being used as a stationary hot spot like many Mobley devices are.

I'm sure we'll eventually hear from creative individuals who'll figure out how to get around these obstacles.
Old 09-27-2018
Thomas Rembert

Glad I went with Mobley early on. We use it for all our Netflix and the bus uses it for all its controls. My bill was $23.24 last month. I do have to unplug and plug it in every day or so or it stops.
2018 Allegro Bus 45ft 4 slide
Gainesville/Melrose FL
Old 09-27-2018
Geek

When I damaged my Mobley a few months ago I inquired here whether anyone might have one they would sell (to use my sim card). I rather immediately got replies to just get a hotspot, and I bought one from Best Buy for $69. Very happy! Much better signal than the Mobley ever got, and it is battery powered so if needed I can unplug it and have it run for 24 hours or so. Put my sim card in it, and it did not care. I show 51GB used last month (which is a record for me).
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 09-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
When I damaged my Mobley a few months ago I inquired here whether anyone might have one they would sell (to use my sim card). I rather immediately got replies to just get a hotspot, and I bought one from Best Buy for $69. Very happy! Much better signal than the Mobley ever got, and it is battery powered so if needed I can unplug it and have it run for 24 hours or so. Put my sim card in it, and it did not care. I show 51GB used last month (which is a record for me).
Don - do you have unlimited data? If not, can you shed light on the data charges associated?
Which hotspot did you buy?

Thanks, Doug
Old 09-27-2018
Geek

I have an original Mobley, so unlimited. The device the sim card is inserted in does not change the account, something I was unsure of until I got so many assurances, and it is true.

I have a ZTE Velocity, no longer available at Best Buy but is on Amazon for $59. The key, of course, is having the unlimited $20 Mobley account.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Question about replacement devices. My Mobley will only give out 5 ip addresses. Is there a replacement device that will give out more than 5? I have more than 5 in the bus. They dont all use data at the same time but it would be great if they could all have a connection. Currently I have turn something off to get something else to work.
2 phones, TV, Firestick, Laptop, Windows tablet, Android Tablet. I need 7 connections.
2000 LX40 ME "Angry Bird!"
Body# 129047
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
Question about replacement devices. My Mobley will only give out 5 ip addresses. Is there a replacement device that will give out more than 5? I have more than 5 in the bus. They dont all use data at the same time but it would be great if they could all have a connection. Currently I have turn something off to get something else to work.
2 phones, TV, Firestick, Laptop, Windows tablet, Android Tablet. I need 7 connections.
Randy,
Get this off Amazon for $20. You can have much more than 7 connections. You can check it out on my bus at PM. Site 221 arriving this afternoon.

https://smile.amazon.com/HooToo-Wire...s=HooToo&psc=1
1996 Infiniti i30t
Lancep50@gmail.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Geek

Lance Hall was telling me this morning that AT&T was trying to lock out non-AT&T devices. I don't know. I have an AT&T mobile hotspot that I have my Mobley SIM in, and it has a 10 device limit. Currently 7 connected. You know where I am, Randy, Site 108.