Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 12-28-2016

Default Series 60 Automatic Belt Tensioner Conversion

I recently removed my manual belt tensioner assembly and replaced it with the automatic belt tensioner that DD began using in late '97, effective with engine serial number 6R392714.

My local DD center wants around $1300 for the kit. I bought a new, government surplus kit on flea bay for less than half that price.

For my '97 Series 60 engine, the DD part number for the complete kit is 23227060. You'll want to contact DD and give them your engine's serial number to verify that that part number will work for you. There might be slight variations for older engines? I read in DD literature that the auto belt tensioner is only used on engines with the 50 DN alternator.

The kit includes the auto tensioner, front camshaft cover, idler pulley assembly, a belt and new bolts.

Using the Dayco belt (p/n 5120738, length 73 3/4") included with the kit, the tension is ~140 lb-ft. If I can't get it to fit, I'm going to experiment with a belt that is 1/4" shorter to see if I can increase the tension to ~160.

Aside from having to use an impact wrench to convince one of the old mounting bolts it was time to come out, the install was very easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoTensioner.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	46584  
Old 12-28-2016

Kevin what prompted you to install the belt tensioner kit? Looking for a failure mechanism here I haven't considered because I thought about the tensioner conversion also.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42
Old 12-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
Kevin what prompted you to install the belt tensioner kit? Looking for a failure mechanism here I haven't considered because I thought about the tensioner conversion also.

I had to remove the ribbed belt while I was installing the vent upgrade on the alternator. While the belt was off I checked the tensioner pulleys and noticed a little noise coming from the bearings.

I checked with DD for replacement parts and was told that they no longer provide replacement parts for the manual tensioner assembly. I scoured the internet for replacement pulleys (and even the complete tensioner assembly) but came up empty. So my choices were to either rebuild the old tensioner assembly pulleys (which meant finding and paying a shop to do it for me) or install the new auto tensioner.

Pressed for time I decided to go the easy route and install the auto tensioner. Sure, it cost a little more than rebuilding the old parts but for the price I paid for the auto tensioner kit I think it was worth it. And it looks cool.
Old 12-28-2016
prone to wandering

Not sure about S60's, but the bearings on the manual tensioners on Cat and Cummins are easily obtainable and changeable. Be hard to get $50 into parts on the job
jimdoel@me.com
Old 1 Week Ago

I am looking for some suggestions. Returning from a 800 mile trip this past weekend, the belt tension-er bearing seized and shredded my alternator belt the pulley popped off in the process.

I have contacted DD, the part number is 23518304, the cost is just over $1200. In the diagram, it is part number 9. Yikes.

Unfortunately, I lost the pulley on the road somewhere. The hub (or axel) must have been a press fit into the bracket. I could probably have this fabricated, and probably locate a new pulley wheel. I am pretty darn sure I can do this for way less than $1200. Before I pursue this route, does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? I have also considered and am looking into replacing with a spring loaded tension-er, if anyone has a good source for one of these, please let me know. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD60 belt tensioner.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	58200   Click image for larger version

Name:	pulley small mark kitchens ote.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	58201  

mark kitchens
Athens, Tx
1995 WB42
C: 214 477 3757
markkitch@aol.com
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkitch View Post
I am looking for some suggestions. Returning from a 800 mile trip this past weekend, the belt tension-er bearing seized and shredded my alternator belt the pulley popped off in the process.

I have contacted DD, the part number is 23518304, the cost is just over $1200. In the diagram, it is part number 9. Yikes.

Unfortunately, I lost the pulley on the road somewhere. The hub (or axel) must have been a press fit into the bracket. I could probably have this fabricated, and probably locate a new pulley wheel. I am pretty darn sure I can do this for way less than $1200. Before I pursue this route, does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? I have also considered and am looking into replacing with a spring loaded tension-er, if anyone has a good source for one of these, please let me know. thanks!
Maybe this thread will help you out. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=27530

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN