Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-07-2018

Lance, I talked to Cummins tech support three separate times over several months to see if I ever got a different answer and I didn't. I told them that EGT was exceeding 900º on the turbo outlet routinely and asked if there was a concern with getting that hot. They said there was no problem running these kinds of temps and that newer engines equipped with DEF systems typically run those types of temperatures with no problem. They never would talk about a maximum allowable temperature.

I believe what they told me was a PYA answer giving them cover for the fact they put too much boost on the ISL to rerate an engine that was designed for 330 hp up to 400 hp. There is too much info out there that contradicts their opinion. Maybe modern Cummins engines do run hotter and have the metallurgy to do so. That doesn't mean our 2004 vintage engines were.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 10-15-2018

Thanks for the time and effort Eric. I am looking at a 1 owner M380 with 175k on the original motor and head gasket, my confidence level was faultering already, but I think your findings push it into territory, where its just too risky for my own financial perspective.
Old 10-15-2018

Sorry if I scared you off an M380 Mark. I admit I was conflicted about sharing this information on this site for just that reason. I decided to post it to help current M380 owners better understand the limits of the Cummins ISL 400 engine.

To put this whole thing in perspective, you should realize that whenever you purchase any used coach you won't know if that particular engine was operated inside operating conditions that ensure a long life. The PO's may not be aware what the these operating limits are or even have all the information needed to stay within them.

I'm sure a significant factor in the failure of my first engine was a history of extended operation at extremely high temperatures by a previous owner. Operation well above the levels I'm talking about here. I was unaware of that history until I saw a data dump from the failed engine ECM.

If the PO of the M380 you were considering has clocked 175,000 miles without a gasket replacement, I'd say that is a strong indication of good maintenance and driving history.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 10-15-2018
ANOTHER REDNECK

why is the egt probe not in the exhaust manifold to get true engine readings?

before turbo is the only true reading of engine performance
that and a boost gauge
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=254
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
F133316 BODY NUMBER
Old 10-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMN View Post
Thanks for the time and effort Eric. I am looking at a 1 owner M380 with 175k on the original motor and head gasket, my confidence level was faultering already, but I think your findings push it into territory, where its just too risky for my own financial perspective.
Mark - If that coach seller is also the PO and you are still in contact, please ask him if he followed any special driving techniques and/or maintenance procedures that may have contributed to his trouble free life. Inquiring minds want to know.

Contrary to your take, a better conclusion would be exactly the opposite! If an M380 has 175K trouble free miles with no issues that tells me the coach has been treated and maintained well (as ERIC says “driving history & proper maintenance”). So it may be the one to get, especially for that bargain basement price. Keep in mind that the price is only at that level because the public does not understand how Bluebirds were built. They are thinking high mileage in stick & plastic terms, and that would be barely broke in for a Wanderlodge.

Last edited by NoGas; 10-15-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2018

Once again, thanks all the insight. It gives a clearer picture to an inherently cloudy and risky business to jump into head first. Until I build a bigger pole shed (with a pit, lol), I am not sure if it makes sense to store a bird outside or somewhere I cannot work on it. We have discovered that we can rent a condo in Palm Springs for about $3500 per month (x4), so might go that route until I feel more comfortable.
Old 10-15-2018

Man there is a lot of difference between a Condo and a M380. Perhaps you do need to take a bit more time to figure out what you need or want. One thing to consider is that Beach Condo will never be a mountain retreat or ski slope resort or a ocean front view. If your happy staying in one spot a condo may be the way to go.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656

Last edited by Rick; 10-15-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: changed location
Old 10-16-2018

This thread is deviating big time. But you are $1000 to $1200 away from a cost - effective barn. The barn is 13’ x 30’ x 13’h. It could be easily scaled to cover an M380. I posted in a separate thread more details about it is built.

I built this for my boat. I’d never store an RV uncovered. Elements abuse and devalue big time.

A known and guaranteed replacement (used) engine could be had in the neighborhood of $5k. Rather than $15k to $25k for a rebuild, I’d go that route if I had problems. From looking at my M380, it doesn’t seem hard to remove or install it. It seems like given your skills, you don’t risk a ton.

As Eric has pointed out, it seems a pyrometer and proper monitoring might help maintain the engine longevity. I’m confident as Van linked prior that the drive trains are good for 500k to 1M miles with proper driving and maintainence habits.

Then again, it sounds like you have a lot to consider and other options.

As said prior, GOOD luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D43BC49-25D3-46DD-AD0C-EDB23115F27D.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	58333   Click image for larger version

Name:	4B7A326C-DDC4-455A-81FA-8E868BED4781.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	58334  
Old 10-16-2018

Default M380 - Using ScanGuageD LOD% to lower EGT

Thanks for the update Eric!

Never got around to adding a Pyro. However since my post #8 above over 2 years ago and our discussion, I’ve come off the max 65% LOD ScanGuage target when climbing grades (which I do allot). I now shoot for 50% max load when climbing and continue downshifting as speed dictates to maintain that number. During those climbs I also watch the WT (water temp) closely and using this climb technique, I’ve yet to see a rise of more than a 2-3 degrees (using the ScanGuage) even on our hottest summer trips. Obviously, Cruise Control is disengaged and speed decays as I start up steep grades while downshifting to keep RPM up. However, even on the steepest climbs 40 mph is common. Flashers have become my friend but the mpg improvement is noticeable (when I keep the speed reasonable on the flats ). As Randy says, “it’s not a race to the top of the hill”. With your update, I will definitely be bringing the boost guage into my scan more. Haven’t had the opportunity to check yet, but I’m curious about the relationship between LOD% and avoiding the Max Boost range. As I understand it, LOD% is a real data point.

On a side note - I recently had the transmission serviced for the first time and switched to Transynd. Whether it was the service, new fluid or my imagination, it seemed to shift noticeably smoother on the ride home.

Last edited by NoGas; 10-16-2018 at 08:39 AM.