Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 09-06-2014

I appreciate all of the warnings and I AM listening. I would like to know if all of this damage was done by using grease that was not filtered properly and had not had the water removed. A close friend of mine traveled all over America with veggie oil using a very expensive on board system that was built and installed by professionals. He was in a $350,000.00 Prevost. I understand the damage that can occur from water but the other side says that the water can be removed.

All that being said, the bus I'm picking up in about a week is in pristine condition and I would never chance messing up the engine. I will have to meet some WL owners that have been using Wvo for many years and many miles. I have had 1 private message of a user with no problems on the Cat for over 3 years but they don't filter on board. I hope to hear from more.

I own a company that is based on Enviromentally friendly repairs to hail damaged cars. I wanted a veg conversion to support my marketing for that business and organically practice what I preach but I do need some real life proof before I put my beauty at risk.

Thanks for the posts, please keep em coming

Jon
Old 09-06-2014

Hating to sound like a broken record, but understanding the WVO issue, I would still like to know if anyone has experienced or can document an engine (especially a Detroit mechanical) that has been destroyed as the result of running Ultra Low Sulfur diesel without a lubricity additive.
Old 09-06-2014

Tons of information on WVO is available on www.frybrid.com/ . Chris Goodwin who owned Frybrid built and installed the best systems there was. Also the most expensive. He did do many buses at $10-$$15,000 a pop. There is all kinds of pro and con info there. I had 2 convenience stores/ stations when USLD became mandatory and we were warned that we should check our Liability insurance because of all the motors that would be ruined. As was stated, it did not happen. My opinion is just that. I believe at least B5 (that is 95% USLD -5% biodiesel) is a good idea. Heck, B20 reduces cancer causing emissions by nearly 50 %. It was also not just pumps that were supposed to fail as a result. Pistons and rings would seize and engines without roller lifters would fail too.
I did not say I believe that all your engines would fail. Some of you said mine would. NANER NANER! . I won't add to this thread anymore because I already used my EPPI-Pen up and don't have a spare. . White Hat Guy, There is probably some engines out there that failed because of seized pistons or pumps but there are millions of them that did not fail. The odds are in your favor. I like peace of mind and that is why I like some Bio added. I also spent $$$ for Michelins for the same reason. Opinions here...
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 09-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDee View Post
I appreciate all of the warnings and I AM listening. I would like to know if all of this damage was done by using grease that was not filtered properly and had not had the water removed. A close friend of mine traveled all over America with veggie oil using a very expensive on board system that was built and installed by professionals. He was in a $350,000.00 Prevost. I understand the damage that can occur from water but the other side says that the water can be removed.

All that being said, the bus I'm picking up in about a week is in pristine condition and I would never chance messing up the engine. I will have to meet some WL owners that have been using Wvo for many years and many miles. I have had 1 private message of a user with no problems on the Cat for over 3 years but they don't filter on board. I hope to hear from more.

I own a company that is based on Enviromentally friendly repairs to hail damaged cars. I wanted a veg conversion to support my marketing for that business and organically practice what I preach but I do need some real life proof before I put my beauty at risk.

Thanks for the posts, please keep em coming

Jon

You have imput from the other side. Really there are no sides. WVO will damage your engine if you do not process each and every gallon of oil you put in your tank.

Crit has 1st hand experience of the damage caused. His sisters coach was a nightmare.
If memory serves your a fulltime now and plan on using your WL as a fulltime coach. Where will you set up a filter system? The onboard systems take up limited space in the coach.

Do you have access to a supply of WVO? Where will it come from. Your traveling right? Will you be able to pull round back in your coach? Do you have the time to wait for the customers to get out of your way? Are you willing to move so they can pull through the drive?

No free puppies and in the long run one tow bill to have that destroyed fuel pump repaired will wipe out lots of "free" WVO
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-06-2014

Thanks, Jon -

Hope I didn't come across too argumentative. I love my old 8v92 and want it to at least "live" longer than I do.
Old 09-06-2014

You must research and understand emulsions and suspensions. Some of the material will be suspended and that is easier to remove. Emulsified and dissolved materials not so much. Removing the water or lemon juice from mayo is tough, removing the salt is very tough. Waste Veggie oil has tons of emulsified water and salt in it.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 09-06-2014

Tom, absolutely no problem. You have a lot of investment in your rig. Me too.
The oil companies that warned me had to invest billions to set up for USLD so they tried to kill the legislation by spreading "facts" as they saw it. Now that we are still all paying the Billions back to them in higher costs they would probably say the opposite to help their bottom line maintain its obscene profitability. I do still like B5-B20 for peace of mind though.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."