Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Tell Us Where You're At

Tell Us Where You're At As you travel around the country, why not take the time to tell our members where you have settled for the night, week, or month. There may be another member close by, that would like to meet you, so put that information right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-28-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Hey Jon, not sure of your route but If you get neat Eufaula OK, give us a holler, we have a place for you or we will meet you, either way, would enjoy the visit.
you might think about adding an e mail and phone number to your tag line, PM is a big pain, my box is always full.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 01-28-2016
Mad Scientist

Mallie, thanks so much for your kind offer and we would love to meet you folks as well. I am afraid our route and time restrictions this time around have us moving along at a pretty good clip. I don't know how far you are from Childress, TX, but that's where we are bedding down for the night tonight, probably at the Walmart there. Thanks on the suggestion for the email and text business....I agree, getting in to check communications via PM here is a drag.

Made it across two states yesterday; Mississippi and Louisiana. The roads in Mississippi were, shall we say, rough. There was one pothole I did not see lurking in the shadows of an on ramp.....the thing was as big as a Prius. I hope I did not start a time bomb ticking on my right front gif with that hit. It wasn't pretty.

There was another aberration in Shreveport. On one of the bridge deck overpasses, there was a harmonic that set up quickly between coach and the expansion joints in the roadway. At the posted 60mph I started porpoising so badly I nearly lost control of the vehicle. It was only immediate slowing to 50mph (no brakes, just foot off of accelerator) that kept us on the roadway. I wondered if I'd blown an airbag(s)....in fact, what is the symptom of a major suspension problem like a blown bag(s)? Was that harmonic porpoising more a symptom of kaput shocks? BTW, for those of you wondering why I use the term harmonic, I am using it in the engineering vernacular, not the musical (although both relate to frequency ~ ). In this case, each porpoise movement at the speed I was going quickly fed upon the next expansion joint jolt which then in turn fed into the next porpoise. Usually, these events happen so quickly the affected machinery vibrates itself to destruction. The coach ran fine once the roadway improved, and I was back up to 65 with no problem.

Harold: sorry I missed you at Greenwood. I hope you had a safe shift last night.

We have a long day of driving ahead of us today. Take care all,

Jon

Jon P Brumbach, Sr
Ravensdale, WA
2003 LX40 w/slide
2003 Suburu Forester (Toad A)
2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax-Allison 4WD Pickup (Toad B)
2002 Monaco Knight 34PBD SOLD!
email me at: retreat7@isomedia.com
-or-
text or call 206-459-3388

Last edited by BigJon; 01-28-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Fixed a couple of bonehead typos....
Old 01-28-2016
Tired and now Retired!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
There was another aberration in Shreveport. On one of the bridge deck overpasses, there was a harmonic that set up quickly between coach and the expansion joints in the roadway. At the posted 60mph I started porpoising so badly I nearly lost control of the vehicle.
Jon,
I hit that same area last July and had the exact same problem!
Had to recover the same way you did.
The rest of I20 is not good, but not as bad heading west.
Back in the 70's and 80's we use to travel between CA and FL using I20 and I do not remember the roads being nearly as rough.
Sure, it was in a van, but I guess 30+ years has taken its toll.
Hope the rest of your trip is full of good times!!!
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 01-28-2016
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

If you are talking about I-20 through downtown Shreveport, the overpasses have been bumpy for years.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-28-2016

No problemo Mr Jon . Also ,we had a nice quiet shift .

Hope you have a safe journey .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 01-29-2016
Mad Scientist

Greetings from Childress, Texas. An entire town, from at least what I could see driving in last night, was the largest truck stop on the planet! I filled up last night at the Wallmart and along with a couple dozen semis' and their loads found a spot to park for the night.

So far with weather, we have been lucky. A little rain between Perry, GA and Toomsuba, MS - otherwise dry, to sunny and warm conditions. This weekend promises something more challenging with snow in the forecast for Albuquerque and Seligman and even semi toppling winds in Mojave, CA. We are planning on staying at the Albuquerque KOA two nights to rest and to let the storm show itself as something or nothing.

Those six hour drives, even broken up into 2 or 3 hr bites are getting pretty onerous. A day's break to rest would do us and the Bird some good.

Safe travels,

Jon

Jon P Brumbach, Sr
Ravensdale, WA
2003 LX40 w/slide
-or-
Old 01-29-2016
Forum owner

Be careful out there Jon.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-29-2016
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Mallie, thanks so much for your kind offer and we would love to meet you folks as well. I am afraid our route and time restrictions this time around have us moving along at a pretty good clip. I don't know how far you are from Childress, TX, but that's where we are bedding down for the night tonight, probably at the Walmart there. Thanks on the suggestion for the email and text business....I agree, getting in to check communications via PM here is a drag.

Made it across two states yesterday; Mississippi and Louisiana. The roads in Mississippi were, shall we say, rough. There was one pothole I did not see lurking in the shadows of an on ramp.....the thing was as big as a Prius. I hope I did not start a time bomb ticking on my right front gif with that hit. It wasn't pretty.

There was another aberration in Shreveport. On one of the bridge deck overpasses, there was a harmonic that set up quickly between coach and the expansion joints in the roadway. At the posted 60mph I started porpoising so badly I nearly lost control of the vehicle. It was only immediate slowing to 50mph (no brakes, just foot off of accelerator) that kept us on the roadway. I wondered if I'd blown an airbag(s)....in fact, what is the symptom of a major suspension problem like a blown bag(s)? Was that harmonic porpoising more a symptom of kaput shocks? BTW, for those of you wondering why I use the term harmonic, I am using it in the engineering vernacular, not the musical (although both relate to frequency ~ ). In this case, each porpoise movement at the speed I was going quickly fed upon the next expansion joint jolt which then in turn fed into the next porpoise. Usually, these events happen so quickly the affected machinery vibrates itself to destruction. The coach ran fine once the roadway improved, and I was back up to 65 with no problem.

Harold: sorry I missed you at Greenwood. I hope you had a safe shift last night.

We have a long day of driving ahead of us today. Take care all,

Jon
Hi Jon,

After a hit like that, it may at least be worth a quick visual inspection of the front suspension components with a flashlight without getting under the coach. If you spot something suspicious, a more thorough inspection would be in order but never go under there unless the coach is over a pit or otherwise made safe to be under. NEVER TRUST THE LEVELING JACKS OR AIR BAGS WHEN WORKING UNDER A COACH!

Pay close attention to the shocks and especially the shock mounts; I’m not sure it applies to an LX but there have been broken shock mounts found on at least a couple of Wide Body coaches.

Don Bradner posted pictures of a broken shock mount in this thread:
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5127
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 01-29-2016

Had a similar frightening porpoising moment on Astoria end of Astoria Megler bridge over the Columbia river. Two lane elevated bridge with a 270 turn at end. A sure cure for dread anal leakage. Turned out I had a broken Koni on curb side.
"Wanderlust"
stiehlcj@gmail.com
Old 01-30-2016
Mad Scientist

Greetings today from Albuquerque! We had an uneventful day of driving across Texas and New Mexico with the exception that the day was the first one with an appreciable and steady cross wind. The only casualty of the wind (more likely delayed reaction to that Mississippi pothole) the gimbal adjustment went soft on my curbside mirror. Pulled off at a rest stop that presented itself as the first safe place to mess with it, got out a set of tools I shipped ahead so I would have some basic tools with my Bird on its first trip home, and re-aligned it, re-set the Allen screws and we were back on the road. The Bird handled fantastic in NOAA Wind Advisory to High Wind Watch Hazardous Weather conditions. The truckers you could see, were not having so much comfort. Full box trailers were crabbing and swaying, sometimes dramatically. More than once when a semi passed me, or when I passed a slower moving one, their trailer came into my lane when I was abreast, causing me to adjust over to the "wake up" groved line on the shoulder (right or left).

Thanks to John and Christropher for relating experience and warnings regarding undercarriage inspection. I will take some iPhone pics and post them this evening. I probably ought point out a couple things since you all are just getting to know me. While I am by nature a pretty precise kinda guy (most retired engineers are doomed to suffer such fates I am sure), when it comes to story telling, I try really hard not to sound like an engineering journal because then insomniacs would be the only ones reading what I wrote - and they wouldn't get very far because reading an engineering journal is a known cure for insomnia. So, when I say "pothole size of a Prius", it means "average Chicago pothole" or something along the lines of 8"X12"X6+"deep. It was on an on ramp, hidden in a morning shadow and previous repair patch. Right front tire hit the thing at about 35MPH as we were accelerating to get on I-20 West. Also, on that porpoising business in Shreveport....when I say "nearly lost control of the vehicle" it means 1) my senses were supremely tied into the task at hand i.e. not causing harm to others, my wife, nor myself, nor my new Bird 2) the only way to guarantee #1 was to reduce speed should a "sudden stop" occur 3) pounding on the breaks in a vehicle control situation like this is usually the worst thing you can do because you could break traction with the roadway 4) once you have broken traction with the roadway, the driver stops being a driver and becomes a passenger in his own bus as the laws of motion take over. I probably overstated things by saying I nearly lost control of my 49,000lb bus in downton Shrevport. Might have been better to say "My God, but did that ever get my attention " As it happened, it did get my attention, I took appropriate countermeasures, and Bird & owners and all are OK!

By Jove, I think I started sounding like an engineering journal there. If being a little too dramatic is clouding the picture, you guys should chime in and tell me to leave the dramatic license off - otherwise I will continue to try to inform and entertain a bit. Pictures of front end later.

Jon

Jon P Brumbach, Sr
Ravensdale, WA
2003 LX40 w/slide
-or-

Last edited by BigJon; 01-30-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: I-20 East shoulda been West...