Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2019

Jim, you could also take a nap under there and everybody will think your working
Old 02-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Jim, you could also take a nap under there and everybody will think your working
Steve, I just don't want to take a "permanent nap" under there. That is why my bus has not had much in the way of inspection or work done under there. I can't get my "thick body" under my "wide body," without some serious ramps, which will be made. Still not sure I'd be comfortable taking a nap under there

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-24-2019

So true Jim. Underneath mine gets overlooked also. I took my 88 to Peach State....the authorized Detroit dealer near me when I first bought it. I asked for a complete filter change.....with straight 40w and body lube. What I found on pickup was 10w40 which after a small disagreement.....what does this this knucklehead customer know....was changed to straight 40 and later inspection showed most grease fittings dry. Point being it's hard to find someone you trust for maintenance. I too need some nice ramps.
What I need is a younger, actively working, member near me to get some!?
Hmmmmm wonder who :
Good luck Kevin on whatever path you take we are all watching and learning
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 02-24-2019

After using blocks and jack stands I built a set of KC’s designed ramps, now I can get under
It with air bags down and have plenty of room. With all the odd places the grease fitting are
Most places are not going to put the effort in to find them. Another good reason to get under there and look around is what you might find. I was under there before we left for
Love birds on the River looking for an air leak and shined the light for one side to the other
I saw shiny marks on the 3/8” plate that the Saftey-T-Plus put had put on. After a closer inspection I found that it had wore half way through. A few more thousand miles and it would have droped to the road (not good) . They did send me the right plate, point being
You need to look around underneath every so often.
Old 02-24-2019

jim,
thank you for adding something we can all agree on! We all need to keep an eye on things (better than I have myself) on do a pretrip inspection a week before every trip so we have time to address things and everyday of travel to avoid issues on the road.
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 02-27-2019

I have a friend who works in a steel manufacturing mill and I had him look at the ridewell drawing and picture of the crack. He suggested that “”if “” you are going to try to replace the complete broken tube, that you be sure the welder buys a very high grade of steel. There are various tensile strength available Welded Tube, Seamless, and DOM (drawn over Mandrel) are terms he mentioned. I can’t remember which one he said was strongest but I think it was DOM. A professional welder should know.

Keep us posted on your discoveries and progress.

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 02-27-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
I have a friend who works in a steel manufacturing mill and I had him look at the ridewell drawing and picture of the crack. He suggested that “”if “” you are going to try to replace the complete broken tube, that you be sure the welder buys a very high grade of steel. There are various tensile strength available Welded Tube, Seamless, and DOM (drawn over Mandrel) are terms he mentioned. I can’t remember which one he said was strongest but I think it was DOM. A professional welder should know.

Keep us posted on your discoveries and progress.

Max.

I'm thinking you buy a new trailer axle and cut the axle off and use the spindle and axle and weld it onto the bird axle.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-27-2019

I may be looking at the picture wrong but I don’t see anything wrong with the Axle or spindles or anything supplied by Ridewell. The crack I see is in the piece of tubing that was added on and welded to the original axle.

Is that wrong. ??? Why do you need to mess with or do anything to spindles or hubs etc ???

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 02-27-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
I may be looking at the picture wrong but I don’t see anything wrong with the Axle or spindles or anything supplied by Ridewell. The crack I see is in the piece of tubing that was added on and welded to the original axle.

Is that wrong. ??? Why do you need to mess with or do anything to spindles or hubs etc ???
Somewhere in this thread Kev posted that Ridewell started with a straight tube axle,then welded a "drop" section in and then cut the center of the straight section out.
THey modded a straight axle,they did not weld tubes on spindles and make the axle out of parts.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-28-2019

I talked about this axle with a good friend who has a 30+ year career in fabrication and welding ( good guy to be close friends with if you own a Bird) He said "axle steel is weldable" but he wouldn't touch it unless you could put it on his bench
Cape Cod,ma