Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 01-30-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
Better drivers back then, not so many distractions. About the worse you could do was try to tune the radio knob or eat a hamburger. Unless you were sparkin' a girl, then one arm was permanently occupied. I taught one of my girlfriends to shift for me while I hugged her.....

TOM
Now I had a bunch of vans growing up. First one was a 1976 B200 318 Dodge maxi van. Had the portholes, bed in the back and a round table. Had a LOT of fun in the van.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 01-30-2020

Back in my junkyard days chevy ford dodge vw. We had rollover contests most only made one roll and were disabled, axles fell out. To be a teenager again. What fun!!!
Old 01-30-2020

A brand new '74 B200 318 Tradesman with sliding door was my first "Wanderlodge". Fixed up the rear to accommodate a bed and gear storage -- travelled and camped all over the U.S. in all kinds of weather. Good for a twenty-something's body; my M380 is the smallest I'm willing to consider today!!

Vans were a wonderful thing back then. Simple, relatively cheap to buy and keep on the road until the salt cancer got to them.

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 01-30-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwrench View Post
Back in my junkyard days chevy ford dodge vw. We had rollover contests most only made one roll and were disabled, axles fell out. To be a teenager again. What fun!!!
We trading rollover stories. I was 17, a good friend's father owned a tavern and out back of that was an old dirt horse track and stables. That was all from the 1800 and unused. We drive back there in the night and party as it was private property and such. One day i dragged an 63 Olds Delmont 88 over there. My friend had a 60 Cadddi sedan laying around. We dirt track these things and had a blast. He rolled his over one time and crushed the roof. He didn't get hurt at all. Next day we got some help from the bar and a bunch of us got in it and used our legs to push the roof up (mostly) all the glass was gone.

We did some more dirt track racing that summer (78). One day I showed up and 'my' car and his were gone. His dad had them scrapped. He was convinced we get killed one day and he was probably right.

One more story about that place and my Dodge maxi van. We were out back having fun, the van was full. All of a sudden a cop lit up everything he had two feet from our back door. His dad had problems with trash dumpers and asked the local police to patrol the property. My buddy was in the drivers seat. He took off with us all falling all over the place holding on for dear life.

He headed into the woods and all I saw were oak tress whizzing past the windows. He knew his property and I sure did't. The cop was not far behind till all the sudden he went dark. He hit a tree. He didn't get hurt. We came out on a street after charging through someone back yard and taking the clothes line full of clothes halfway down the block.

I heard from my buddy how they towed the cop car out of the woods. I parked that van for a while and drove my clunker. Small town stuff that the kids today would never get away with. I miss my teens for sure too.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 01-30-2020

Wow...miss a day and you miss alot!! This would be an AWESOME toad. Even a little 4-71 Detroit should fit, right?

How about this paint scheme!

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-30-2020

I still vote, (not that I have one!!) LS swap. more reliable. more power. leak less, well not leak at all, and probably better mileage than the 6.
Or a Cummins 4B swap. If the latter, you could do mid-air refueling from the bird tank.
Ex-PT36
Old 01-30-2020

A Cummins, H**l, a 3v51 Detroit.
Now that's the ticket
Old 01-30-2020

If diesel, just go with a cummins 6cyl 12valve b motor. But the the real question is cragar or keystone wheels?
Virginia Beach VA
Old 01-30-2020
Forum owner

all those diesels mentioned are way too heavy.
These vans are light duty,unibody,no frame.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-30-2020

I'm a rally wheel kinda guy, I think they would look good on there. Keystones are good, too. The diesel would be cool and all, but no way would it handle the weight, and it would be way too noisy! The LS is a good idea. I could also do an LV3, one of the new V6 LS engines - they are cheap at the yard with no miles on them, all aluminum, plug and play, clean.

No mystery machine paint job, but we have one dog we call "Roo", short for Rusty, get it? Rooby roo, Rusty roo? Whatever, it makes sense to us lol.