Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-04-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Steve,
I may come up tomorrow to do some stuff on the coach. Spent a good bit of today with Kathy ordering a new laptop for her. It is like finding the best rate on airline tickets.

I need to do some prototyping with cardboard to set up a work area for Kathy. This will not be the final design, but should do till next year. Somehow I ran out of time for a major interior work area upgrade this year.

In order to help in any future search and to keep this thread on the preparing to paint topic I have moved the computer purchase discussion posts over to their own thread at Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning > What kind of a computer did you buy?

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-04-2011

I just finished mine (refeathering the bird- post) . The hardest part was indeed the trim removal. I found that an battery impact driver works on some screws, If not I took a air die grinder and cut a slot through the head of the screw. This allowed us to use a straight blade screwdriver, which removed all but about 10. The last were ground out, and this was extremely hard. Luckly, no major rust areas anywhere. Coach was media blasted and I applied the etching primer, sanding primer and paint.
I have put aLL new lighting on anD ready to put trim back. I replaced all screws and bolts with stainless steel and used anti sieze on the threads before installing back. You can pick this up at NAPA or a marina.
1983 PT 35 (sold)
2011 Honda CRV Toad
Ed, Nina and Abbi
Old 07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83 bird View Post
I just finished mine (refeathering the bird- post) . The hardest part was indeed the trim removal. I found that an battery impact driver works on some screws, If not I took a air die grinder and cut a slot through the head of the screw. This allowed us to use a straight blade screwdriver, which removed all but about 10. The last were ground out, and this was extremely hard. Luckly, no major rust areas anywhere. Coach was media blasted and I applied the etching primer, sanding primer and paint.
I have put aLL new lighting on anD ready to put trim back. I replaced all screws and bolts with stainless steel and used anti sieze on the threads before installing back. You can pick this up at NAPA or a marina.
Hi Ed,

Post some photos if you have any. I'm sure it looks great.

Thanks
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 07-05-2011
Wanderlodge lover

Steve thanks for the Thread and do please keep us posted I have and 86 PT36 with the exact same color scheme as yours. Are you keeping it or changing to a different color? I want to keep it the same.. what are you doing with the aluminum trim?
Charlotte NC
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwillard View Post
Steve thanks for the Thread and do please keep us posted I have and 86 PT36 with the exact same color scheme as yours. Are you keeping it or changing to a different color? I want to keep it the same.. what are you doing with the aluminum trim?

Hey Rob,

I am changing the color to green and tan, but will be keeping most of the lines. I am eliminating the blue srtipes above the drip rail and will leave it all tan, but will paint the goat rail green to give it some color. I will only have two colors rather than the three we have now. I'm not doing any light green. I didn't think we needed it.

I have removed all the molding and we're busy removing the anodized finish from it. Then we polish it like you would your wheels. There is a thread out there under "cloudy trim" where several of us have some photos. Don Meyer started the concept. I'm just following his great results.

I hope to be done in about a month, but who knows at this point. We love the bus, and are looking forward to getting out in it. How long have you owned yours?
FMCA 149549
VB 1010
Old 07-05-2011

Ed was it very expensive to have it media blasted? Did you have the whole coach done?
Old 07-07-2011

Default media blasting

I had it done in Eustis Fl. just north of Orlando. It cost me $830.00 to have the whole coach done. He did everthing with the exception of what was under the diamond plate roof. Coach was completely stripped and he did the trim with baking soda. It cleaned it up and got nrid of the dingy look, but failed to remove all the plastic coating. The mirrors were also done but I had to sand them to get the plastic off before buffing. I had about $1,600 in paint and tape, paper, etc. Rough total with all new lights (LEDS) $3,500.00.
I am very satisfied with the look, as I had never sprayed anything that size. Fact is I never sprayed anything other than a 43% scale model airplane. I found that the coach painted a lot easier than the model planes. To much detail in such a little plane.
1983 PT 35 (sold)
2011 Honda CRV Toad
Ed, Nina and Abbi
Old 07-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspappa View Post
Hi Ed,

Post some photos if you have any. I'm sure it looks great.

Thanks
Photos are posted bird projects and modifications. ( refeathering the bird )
1983 PT 35 (sold)
2011 Honda CRV Toad
Ed, Nina and Abbi
Old 07-07-2011

Wow I would have thought it would be more expensive. I'm going to price it locally here.
Old 07-12-2011

Just a few photos taken tonight at the shop. Pretty cool to watch the progress. Even nicer when it's someone else doing the work for a change.

FMCA 149549
VB 1010