Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 1 Day Ago
Forum owner

Default Alaska travel

I may have worn you guys out talking about Alaska travel,but i love it up there in the summer.

Since a lot of you are trapped inside and stuff i thought i would bring it up,again!

Recently i have had a few people tell me they would never take their bus to Alaska,no way would they beat it up on the terrible roads up there!

Terrible roads? Really?
I have not seen those terrible roads in my 3 trips to Alaska!

We did encounter a rough road and muddy and or dusty,but that was way over near Yellowknife,not a road most people would take on an Alaska trip.
If you go to Alaska,most people would go up the Alaska hyway all the way to Tok,where you would either go to Valdez or Fairbanks.
All good roads,paved mostly with some gravel.

Gravel roads are good,you just need to slow down!
Our normal driving speed on the roads up there is 10mph below the speed limit,if you follow those guidelines you will be fine.
Take your time,enjoy the country,look for animals!

The last trip we heard folks talking at RV parks about the terrible road to Valdez from Tok,how rough it was,how trailers were breaking springs and blowing tires.
We talked about by passing that road (the Tok cutoff i think they call it).
But,from out previous experiences we knew that trailer people drive too fast,they race to the next rv park.
And the people whining about the roads are triler people,normally.

So we took the Tok cutoff,we drove our normal pace,we let the trailers fly by,we had no issues at all.

But,we like to go to Dawson City,so we get off the Alaska hyway and go north from Whitehorse to Dawson,then we take the Top of the world hyway over to Tok,stopping in Chicken.
The Top of the World is mostly dirt roads,graded and pretty smooth,it may be dusty,it may be muddy.
But we go slow and its beautiful!
We see semis and double trailer fuel tankers on this road,how bad can it be?
Go slow,enjoy,let people race by.
I think that road from Dawson to Chicken is about 150 miles or so,we took 3 days to go over it!
We stopped at the border,staying on the Canada side on top of a mountain with views for miles all around.
One night there,and then 30 miles further in,on the Alaska side we stopped and camped on a roadside pull off,we took the jeeps to Eagle,about 60 miles each way,just as a side trip.
Then a few miles further on we stopped in Chicken for the night,at a for real rv park,complete with gift shops,a bar and a diner,a cool place to spend the nite,we dry camped instead of paying for the "ful hookups".

From Chicken to Tok the road is paved,its bouncy and you need to take it easy,life is good in the slow lane.

I think the reason the trailer people have so much damage is because the trailers are not stout enough for what they are doing with them.
The driver is sitting there in a nice truck,no rattles or anything,smooth as silk and they just drive way to fast.
Meanwhile the trailers bouncing around,stuff falling out of cabinets and those chincy little leaf springs are giving it up.
Or maybe they have torsion axles,either way they are not built to take frost heaves at speeds over the limit.
Trailer tires suck as well.

Ohh well,my point is that the roads are good,do not be afraid of taking your bus to alaska,drive slower than you normally do,take your time and you will be fine!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Day Ago

Excellent write up
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 1 Day Ago

What Randy said, and we did 200+ more miles on the gravel than they did (3 days around Whitehorse on the Campbell highway). Beautiful provincial campgrounds for about $10US. No reservations needed. Of course free on the side of the road is nice also.
Old 1 Day Ago
Forum owner

Another thing about trilers is there is no real regulations on quality,not like for cars anyway.
The leaf springs are short and short springs are not known for a good ride.
The torsion springs are short too,like the arm is the effective length.
A wogger a few years ago went to Alaska and they drove from Tok to Valdez in one day.
It takes us 4-5 days,we start late (we miss the rush!) and we stop early,we also stop and walk the dogs and check the toads and just take it easy.
We stayed at a roadside turnout by a small lake,stopping at like 1pm,turns out almost every little lake has a float plane or two,they take off and land?(water)? and they are cool to watch.

A long time ago my buddy Bill K told me to go to Alaska after i had been everywhere else,because after you go once you will always want to go back.
The roads are fine,jump right in.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Day Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
What Randy said, and we did 200+ more miles on the gravel than they did (3 days around Whitehorse on the Campbell highway). Beautiful provincial campgrounds for about $10US. No reservations needed. Of course free on the side of the road is nice also.
Yes,you did do more gravel than we did!

And i did not see any damage to your coach or jeep either.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Day Ago

Default Alaska

As Randy said,no problem for a relaxed driver. I have done Alaska twice, first in an older class C, second in a 76fc35. No flat tires, no broaken windshields, no broaken headlights. (Have had all the above in western Canada and northwest US).
Suspect I had the front wheels of the fc in the air once due to a slow roller coming out of a permafrost depression, no bang, no crash, just a smooth sudden up lift.

Actually met Randy, Brookshires, and crew on the Lulu Bell. Many great memorys from setting down with strangers on the boat, then finding that they were a group all with Wanderlodges. Thanks again for the dinner invite and evening visit.

Need to take the pt40 north one of these years soon.
Old 1 Day Ago

This is a trip that my wife (and I) really look forward to taking.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 1 Day Ago

Thanks for the write up Randy! I have always wanted to go to Alaska, it’s definitely on my list..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 1 Day Ago

Great write up; I plan on going sometime next summer with the wife and kids.

Marcelino Abalos
1979 FC35XV
Dania Beach, Florida
Old 1 Day Ago
BIG MAMA

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsBus View Post
As Randy said,no problem for a relaxed driver. I have done Alaska twice, first in an older class C, second in a 76fc35. No flat tires, no broaken windshields, no broaken headlights. (Have had all the above in western Canada and northwest US).
Suspect I had the front wheels of the fc in the air once due to a slow roller coming out of a permafrost depression, no bang, no crash, just a smooth sudden up lift.

Actually met Randy, Brookshires, and crew on the Lulu Bell. Many great memorys from setting down with strangers on the boat, then finding that they were a group all with Wanderlodges. Thanks again for the dinner invite and evening visit.

Need to take the pt40 north one of these years soon.
We were totally surprised when this couple sat with us on this little tiny boat ....And their question, “What type of motorhome do you have?” Bob and Sandy were just as surprised by our BlueBird/Wanderlodge reply! So 5 couples out of about 12 had the BEST brand!!

I still keep in touch with Sandy via FB.

This year as we exited Seward, I went on the CB and stated I had already started saving for our next trip.....I had $5.34 on the dash!
2001 LXI single slide
04 M 380.......with goat rails SOLD
89 SP SOLD
Woodwinds450@yahoo.com

Last edited by Nancy Brookshire; 1 Day Ago at 04:06 PM. Reason: Extra info