Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-24-2015

Default Just a little more power for the hills.

I found this old post concerning a 3208T. Will this work on my 1984 FC?

"Is it turbo'd or NA? Got gauges on it?
Don't do this unless you have an EGT gauge: If you look on the top of the injection pump you'll see a cover with 2 bolts. Take it off. Fuel does come out sometimes, and does not need [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]bleeding[/COLOR][/COLOR] afterwards. Under it is a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]screw[/COLOR][/COLOR] with a jamb nut. If you hit the accel. linkage you'll see a little pin come up. The screw stops the pin and thus, limits fuel. So adjust it as far up as you can as long as you can tolerate the black smoke. Most turbo'd 3208's can run fine with the screw all the way out(removed). And just behind that is the high rpm governor adjustment. It's labeled as 'high idle', but only go 2-3 turns at a time as to keep it under 3200 no load. Backing the screw out raises the rpm. One more adjustment is the pre-boost [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]power[/COLOR][/COLOR]. This is up in the front of the other 2 adjustments. It's round & has 3 bolts holding it & 6 holes in it. Take all 3 bolts out and you may have to smack it with something to break it loose(mosly from paint). Now tighten it like you're screwing it in tighter, that makes the power come in sooner. If you go 'til it stops, then you may see lots of smoke if you mash down on the pedal. Back it out as needed.
Enjoy... "
Old 06-24-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars View Post
I found this old post concerning a 3208T. Will this work on my 1984 FC?

"Is it turbo'd or NA? Got gauges on it?
Don't do this unless you have an EGT gauge: If you look on the top of the injection pump you'll see a cover with 2 bolts. Take it off. Fuel does come out sometimes, and does not need [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]bleeding[/COLOR][/COLOR] afterwards. Under it is a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]screw[/COLOR][/COLOR] with a jamb nut. If you hit the accel. linkage you'll see a little pin come up. The screw stops the pin and thus, limits fuel. So adjust it as far up as you can as long as you can tolerate the black smoke. Most turbo'd 3208's can run fine with the screw all the way out(removed). And just behind that is the high rpm governor adjustment. It's labeled as 'high idle', but only go 2-3 turns at a time as to keep it under 3200 no load. Backing the screw out raises the rpm. One more adjustment is the pre-boost [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]power[/COLOR][/COLOR]. This is up in the front of the other 2 adjustments. It's round & has 3 bolts holding it & 6 holes in it. Take all 3 bolts out and you may have to smack it with something to break it loose(mosly from paint). Now tighten it like you're screwing it in tighter, that makes the power come in sooner. If you go 'til it stops, then you may see lots of smoke if you mash down on the pedal. Back it out as needed.
Enjoy... "
Bill,

Did you check your reference links before you posted this message, as they all seem to go to the Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums for me http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/#

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-24-2015

To much is hard on shift points power is great lots of heat go lifht on the screws to much power makes trany shutter
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 06-24-2015

"The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long"

The engine may do it but it doesn't mean everything can handle it. I'd be careful.

Mileage, conditions, and history determine if that is wise. Next thing you know a power adjustment ends up leading to a tranny....
FMCA 387867
Old 06-24-2015
Administrator

Leave earlier to get where you are going.
Old 06-24-2015

You add the power im all in i do this nothing like a hot rod. Cant be greedy,a few hot laps around rhe block is fun. Then turn it down to were it will be dependable
Sumner Wa.
Old 06-24-2015

Half a turn (counter clockwise) on the fuel screw and propane injection is not going to burn the engine down, about all you can do that matters.
http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/
This is the product I use.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 06-24-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Half a turn (counter clockwise) on the fuel screw and propane injection is not going to burn the engine down, about all you can do that matters.
http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/
This is the product I use.
Mike also added the same propane injection kit to my engine upgrade last year, it does the job it is designed to do very well.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-24-2015

I would like to try the propane
Sumner Wa.
Old 06-24-2015

I'm thinking of venting the black tank to the air filter canister. Kill two birds with one stone.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."