Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-27-2015

Default To sell or not to sell - To swap or not to swap - Opinions Please

Now that I showed everyone how not to do a engine swap.......

I am looking for some opinions, if you wouldn't mind.

I have my BB sold. But I still have the title and don't have to sell it.

I towed it over to the guys shop who I got to help finish the Cummins swap. He fell in love with it (he'd never seen one) and I asked him if he'd like to buy it instead. He said yes and we agreed on a fair price.

However, it'll be a month before I can get him the engine and the parts so everything is in limbo. I was happy at first to wash my hands from the mess I made, but I'm realizing I'm pretty attached to it and I don't feel right about not finishing it. He said he doesn't care either way, he'll buy it from me or swap the engine in it for me. So I have my options open.

So....................

I recently found out that a small amount of Bluebird TC/2000 school buses after 90' are equipped with a 5.9 Cummins and a MT643. So if I can drive one home for a good price, which I think I can, this would make things a lot smoother.
I was also thinking I could swap over the air brakes while we were at it. Does anyone know if this is feasible?
I'm sure I can pick up that bus for about $5k. I have the rebuilt MT643 already and I'll rebuild the long block. All the mounting, cables, pipes, hoses, doghouse, etc. would be right there and I wouldn't have to try to hunt rare parts down or fab anything.
Then I would have a sweet drive train with air brakes and I finished what I started.

Or I could sell it and buy a BB that's already finished.

Am I in "LaLa Land"? It seems too easy, considering what I've been through. It was a nightmare finding all the little parts to mate the Allison with the Cummins and it cost me a ton.

Did anybody know this dive train setup existed in BB school buses?
Old 09-27-2015

So the 5.9 was probably in something weighing a lot less than what an RV weighs. The cummins I've seen in motorhomes is typically the 8.3 cummins. Honestly, I think you will find that doing a conversion is lots of time and money. With some of the good deals out there, you can buy one already all done for you. Just my opinion. I almost sent the conversion route myself until I did a lot of online research and came to the conclusion there would be a lot of "lost time" in usage that would go by while I tried to finish the project, time that could have been spent using one.
VB 1570
Old 09-27-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
So the 5.9 was probably in something weighing a lot less than what an RV weighs. The cummins I've seen in motorhomes is typically the 8.3 cummins. Honestly, I think you will find that doing a conversion is lots of time and money. With some of the good deals out there, you can buy one already all done for you. Just my opinion. I almost sent the conversion route myself until I did a lot of online research and came to the conclusion there would be a lot of "lost time" in usage that would go by while I tried to finish the project, time that could have been spent using one.
Opinion #2,
Don't know your budget, skill level, or having a place to work with all the tools and hardware needed, Forget the conversions, look for a Bird inside your budget.
There is one out there for you. Check out an FC
Old 09-27-2015

The 5.9 is a common engine in school bus apps I think. No need for a lot of power to run freeway speeds or pull tall mountains at speed.

You found a place to get shed of your money pit. I would do it and as Bill suggested there are lots of FCs out there ready for you.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-27-2015
Forum owner

Theres a guy in South Ca. that has an FC for sale.
its priced right,hes over in Poland and can't make it back to the USA for a few years.
It just may be the deal of a life time for you.
email him, bgjm328@gmail.com

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-27-2015

You need to decide if you want an RV to enjoy or if you want a large project. It's hard to have both and if you buy the project and get sidetracked you will never get to enjoy using it. I work on mine all the time but I bought a reliable RV that can be driven anywhere. The projects are not usually necessary, and relate more to improvements(in my mind) than building an RV. So they are short term and satisfying but never take the bus out of service. I find that a very good compromise.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 09-27-2015

Ben, I can't imagine it would be worth the $$ even if you did all the labor yourself. If you want a real Bird, get a real Bird.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 09-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
It's been sitting for 2 years already.
I had planned on boosting the 5.9 to 250hp, the max a MT643 can handle.
You made the right choice...... I'm known for liking projects, so it was a good wake up call for me. I definitely will not do this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Opinion #2,
Don't know your budget, skill level, or having a place to work with all the tools and hardware needed, Forget the conversions, look for a Bird inside your budget.
There is one out there for you. Check out an FC
That was my original thought exactly.... but there's a part of me that wants to see it finished. I would imagine I need to tell that part of me to Shutup!!
Thanks Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The 5.9 is a common engine in school bus apps I think. No need for a lot of power to run freeway speeds or pull tall mountains at speed.

You found a place to get shed of your money pit. I would do it and as Bill suggested there are lots of FCs out there ready for you.
Yes Rick, a little bit after I bought my engine and trans I realized that there was plenty of BB school buses with mechanical 5.9's. Had I known, I would have just bought a bus and not a F700 with the Cummins hooked up to a manual Eaton!!!
My impatience, ignorance and constant lack of research knows no bounds!

What's rare though and what I just found out the other day is, there's a small amount of BB schools buses that have a 5.9 mated to MT643.
This is the exact setup I was trying to put in! I wish I'd known earlier.

Rick, if I were to go ahead with the swap and since I already have a rebuilt MT643, would I have to find this setup on a bus? Or could I just find a bus with AT545? Do they have the same mounting, brackets, cables, linkage, ect.? Do people swap 643's into a application that had a 545?

And thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Theres a guy in South Ca. that has an FC for sale.
its priced right,hes over in Poland and can't make it back to the USA for a few years.
It just may be the deal of a life time for you.
email him, bgjm328@gmail.com
Thanks Randy, I'll shoot him a message. He's not on the east!! Perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearmtnmartin View Post
You need to decide if you want an RV to enjoy or if you want a large project. It's hard to have both and if you buy the project and get sidetracked you will never get to enjoy using it. I work on mine all the time but I bought a reliable RV that can be driven anywhere. The projects are not usually necessary, and relate more to improvements(in my mind) than building an RV. So they are short term and satisfying but never take the bus out of service. I find that a very good compromise.
I definitely want a RV!
On mine, the inside is completely remodeled and the newer paint job was great. I figured all I had to do was get rid of the gasser and I'd have a pretty sweet BB. I only paid $10k for it.
It wasn't supposed to be this big of a project. But I should have figured it would be no easy task.

I'm only 35 so I can waste a little time, but it's been 2 years and I haven't had one ounce of traveling enjoyment from it.
I agree with you completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Ben, I can't imagine it would be worth the $$ even if you did all the labor yourself. If you want a real Bird, get a real Bird.
Haha! Very well put.... Thanks Rick.
Old 09-27-2015
Forum owner

JimskiMoHo_1 copy 2.jpg
[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/Randy/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/xb31cfuy.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/BGJIM%20JIM%201982%20FC35%20in%20Ca8f29d0a4?number =23416&part=1.2&type=image/jpeg&filename=JimskiMoHo_1%20copy%202.jpg[/IMG]

JimskiMoHo_2 copy.jpg
[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/Randy/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/xb31cfuy.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/BGJIM%20JIM%201982%20FC35%20in%20Ca8f29d0a4?number =23416&part=1.3&type=image/jpeg&filename=JimskiMoHo_2%20copy.jpg[/IMG]

JimskiMoHo_8.jpg
[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/Randy/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/xb31cfuy.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/BGJIM%20JIM%201982%20FC35%20in%20Ca8f29d0a4?number =23416&part=1.4&type=image/jpeg&filename=JimskiMoHo_8.jpg[/IMG]

JimskiMoHo_10 copy.jpg
[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/Randy/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/xb31cfuy.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/BGJIM%20JIM%201982%20FC35%20in%20Ca8f29d0a4?number =23416&part=1.5&type=image/jpeg&filename=JimskiMoHo_10%20copy.jpg[/IMG]

JimskiMoHo_12.jpg
[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/Randy/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/xb31cfuy.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/BGJIM%20JIM%201982%20FC35%20in%20Ca8f29d0a4?number =23416&part=1.6&type=image/jpeg&filename=JimskiMoHo_12.jpg[/IMG]

JimskiMoHo_17..jpg
[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/Randy/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/xb31cfuy.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/BGJIM%20JIM%201982%20FC35%20in%20Ca8f29d0a4?number =23416&part=1.7&type=image/jpeg&filename=JimskiMoHo_17..jpg[/IMG]

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-27-2015
Forum owner

ha! thought i was sending pics!

SEnd me an email,i will forward the pics.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com