Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-08-2009
hturner 12

Default Hard cold start

Hello everyone

I have developped a hard start when cold problem. I have to keep the key to start for a long period of time maybe 2-3 minutes, but warm stars are normal very easy starting. I have been told that the DD 2 strokes di requir a long start period when cold. When it does finally start runs with no problems. RACOR/ fuel filter changes. Air cleaner still showing in green. I have though about adding a small electric fuel pump to build up fuel pressure on cold start I am very concerd about smoling the starter with the excesive starting. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-08-2009
Forum Moderator

Surely you didn't mean 2 to 3 minutes with the key on START.Was that a typo???? Fifteen seconds at max and then with a breather between attempts.
Old 06-08-2009

Hugh- the faster she spins, the quicker she'll start. I'd consider making or installing new power and ground cables to the starter (or maybe just cleaning the ends on the ones that you have to see if it makes a difference) I've installed 2/0 welding cable for the starter and the coach will usually catch as soon as I hit the key. When temps are below 60, use your block heater. You don't technically "need" it until temps are down to around 40, but it's much easier on the engine to work with warmer oil If you're still having problems, you may be losing your fuel prime due to a leaky hose up around the filter and lift pump. Are your fuel hoses and battery/starter cables original?

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 06-08-2009
2nd Generation Bird Owner

It sounds like it is loosing prime in the fuel system
Cell: 410-240-6326 Verizon
Old 06-08-2009

In the past month, I was experiencing longer cold starts. Usually, when about 60 degrees or higher, it would start up quickly. But in the last 30 days something changed and I would have to crank for 2 to 3 twenty second cycles to get it to start instead of the one 5 second cycle.

Upon arriving at our destination this past week, I shut down the engine while checking-in...don't like to idle too long. When I went to start after checkin, the batteries would barely turn the engine over. This was after driving for an hour and the alternater should have the batteries topped off. The gauge did show that the alternator was supplying power. So, I guessed that it was time for new batteries (I have 6-T105s). I started the generator and after a few minutes of charging and with the cross-over, the engine fired up and I went to our site for the next week.

The next day, I was checking the batteries for problems. The water levels were a little low, but not a problem. However, the next thing I observed was that one terminal on two of the batteries was bright stainless and the other were still red from the terminal protection. I had sprayed all the terminals after I cleaned the batteries several months back. So my observation was puzzling because these two terminals had no protection spray evident. Looking closer, you could see the lock washers were not fully compressed.

In summary, by having painted the terminals, it was clear to see which ones got hot due to bad connections. They burned off the paint and stood out like a sore thumb. After tightening up the connections, and giving the batteries time to fully charge, I'm back to my normal starting.

By having the loose connections, I was not able to get the full power from the batteries. So when I tried starting, the engine was not spinning as fast and took longer to start. With all the batteries connected properly and fully charged, faster spin, quicker starting.

Hugh, make sure your batteries are up to snuff.

Glenn
Old 06-09-2009

try pressing the primer button a few times until it goes fairly hard before you start when cold, if it starts no problem then as said above you letting air into the diesel

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 06-10-2009
hturner 12

Thumbs up Hard start on Detroit

Rob
I do cycle the switch. I have already replaced on starter not a big fan of doing another.

Shane
I will try the block heater to see if it helps. The ground has been replace it was the braided strap. The positives are already 2/0. The from other replies it is starting to look at fuel prime condition. I will can Detroit Diesel and see if a pump is still available.

Colin

You are the second second person to suggest fuel prime

Glen I will have to recheck the cables

Andy
I do not have a prime button. I have to manually crack lines and use an external pump to prime

Thanks to everyone. I will post the updates and the final fix
Old 06-11-2009

Good luck! I'd agree on checking fuel prime. You can check the condition of the pump by inserting a glycerine filled pressure gauge into the top of the spin-on fuel filter housing (it has 1/8" threads). There's a little wish-bone that can wear out on the end of the fuel pump, but that usually results in a loss of power, not a loss of prime. I'm betting on a cracked suction hose- possibly the one coming up from the racor to the pump. If you have a leaky gasket on the racor assembly, that will also cause you to lose the prime.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 06-11-2009
hturner 12

Default Hard start on Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Good luck! I'd agree on checking fuel prime. You can check the condition of the pump by inserting a glycerine filled pressure gauge into the top of the spin-on fuel filter housing (it has 1/8" threads). There's a little wish-bone that can wear out on the end of the fuel pump, but that usually results in a loss of power, not a loss of prime. I'm betting on a cracked suction hose- possibly the one coming up from the racor to the pump. If you have a leaky gasket on the racor assembly, that will also cause you to lose the prime.
Shane
I have a liquid filled gauge on the filter housing. The most that I have seen on it is about 20 lbs. We disconnected the line from the pump to the filter housing my assistant told me that there was very short burst of fuel and not a strong stream. Once it cools of a little bit (90 now) I am going to pull the suction line off and check it for internal denigration
Old 12-12-2009
Wanderlodge lover

Unhappy Engine cold start... expensive lesson.

Hey Hugh, I know this thread is well over a year old but wanted to see if you finally got resolution on this. I am having the same problem... I think all the cranking has ruined my starter and it won't turn the engine (1895 v8v-92) at all now unless you give the starter a tap or two while starting it. So I'm going to have it replaced Monday. I put 6 brand new batteries in it about 6 months ago. It started GREAT all summer, touch of the key and it was up and running. But now not so much. To save the batteries I have been using starter fluid sprayed in the air intake... that gets her up and running but that is not something I want to be doing and I'm not sure if its good for it at all.

I'm going to check all the cable connections as mentioned above as the new starter goes in and start to look into the fuel prime issue. I'm hoping for a trip down to FL from here in NC over new years but she has got to be fixed up before that.

This forum has been SO helpful as I am new to my bird and diesel in general. I look forward to being able to meet up with some of you guys sometime and learn as much as I can over what I'm reading in the manuals and online....

THANKS
Charlotte NC