Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-11-2009

Default Generator hard start

I have read through the generator threads, but don't see one discussing "turns over but no start".

The last few times starting it up, after it has sat for days, it seems to be turning over OK but is hard to start and takes a few tries. Most times it will start just a bit for a second, then stop. And when it finally does stay started, it runs pretty sluggish for a minute. I'm hitting the glow plug for a full 20 seconds at first, then more on the other attempts. Seems like it helps when I hold down the start button longer, but not sure if that is good for it. I have noticed no difference using the inside switch versus the outside switch. It starts up just fine after it has warmed up.

(By the way, can the glow plug button be overdone?)
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 07-12-2009
Senior

First you should not need the glow plugs at this time of year. Sounds like you have a fuel problem or the fuel solenoid is not opening. If it turns over all it needs is fuel to start unless of course the fuel is not getting into the cylinders. Open the generator up and have someone hold back the fuel solenoid and then see if it will start then. If it still doesnt then you probably have an air leak or fuel is not getting to the generator. Have you changed the generator fuel filter lately? Since your generator fuel comes thru the engine Racor the fuel line to the generator has a separate check valve to stop the fuel from draining back from the generator. you may have to replace that.

And you should only hit the starter for no longer then 5 seconds and then let it sit for a minute between starts. If you dont you will burn out your starter. The glow plugs should be use no more then 15-20 seconds at a time.
6V92
Old 07-12-2009
Forum owner

Tom and Rick.
Yes,you can burn out the glow plugs if you hold the button down too long,a count to 20 is good,if it starts and shuts back off,wait a minute and do it again.
This is pretty common with every powertech gennie i have had,when they sit a while they are a little hard to start.
On the PTs and the WBs I don't thik the fuel goes through the main engine fuel filter.
Tom,your coach has its own racor and the filter on the engine.
The FCs did use the main filter I think,but not the pushers.

Small diesel engines that have glo plugs have them for a reason,they need then to start the engine,when the gennie is cold,you need glo plugs,no matter if its 80 degrees outside,you have to get that cylinder hot enough to fire off the fuel.

Rick,i suspect the fuel drains back a little in the fuel line,and thats what is causing the hard start,and the electric fuel pump is controlled by an oil pressure sensor,when you get oil pressure the fuel pump kicks in,so thats part of the delay in starting as well.
Its early,and i have not had coffee yet,but I think the glo plug switch also turns on the fuel pump..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-12-2009

Oil pressure? When I checked the oil level it showed it was a bit below full. Would that affect the oil pressure enough to have caused the hard start? I will top it off when I get back to the coach next weekend.
Old 07-12-2009
Administrator

Rick,

These oil pressure switches usually only need about a positive 5 to 8 psi to operate.
Old 07-12-2009
Forum owner

thats one thing that i have seen go bad that makes you think the fuel pump is bad,the oil sending unit for the fuel pump is above the starter on the powertech gennie,when i change the fuel filter i leave it loose,then i jump the sending unit out with a wire to turn the pump on,when clear fuel comes out the filter,i tighten it up and remove the jumper,works everytime.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-21-2009

Someone said the air filter may be dirty. I noticed the blowby hose has been slobbering and making a bit of a mess on that side, and it has been hanging right in front of the air filter. I don't have the coach or bluebox handy, so does anyone know the part number for the air filter on my 15kw Kubota/Powertech?
Old 07-21-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Someone said the air filter may be dirty. I noticed the blowby hose has been slobbering and making a bit of a mess on that side, and it has been hanging right in front of the air filter. I don't have the coach or bluebox handy, so does anyone know the part number for the air filter on my 15kw Kubota/Powertech?
Rick,

I'm sure that Randy replaced the original filter for that Generator with one of the Dupree Filters, that I believe Stephen Birtles still markets through;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Vendors > Dupree Products
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FILTER INTAKE COMPARRISON.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	2429   Click image for larger version

Name:	OLD NEW COMPARISON.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	2430  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-21-2009
Forum owner

John is correct,Stephen has them,or you can get the napa number off the filter,and get the adapter out of the old filter and install it in the new one.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-18-2009

Just a followup on me genny hard start issues. Don't know what exactly fixed it, but it was maybe a combination of things. I put the new big-assed air filter on that Steven sent (Steven, you left the invoice out of the box! What do I owe you?). I replaced the fuel filter when I changed the oil. And, I noticed a slight fuel leak at one "port" (or whatever you call them) on the injector pump, so I had new o-rings put in those. The only test so far as been after it sat for two days, but it started right up. I will get back home to TN in a couple of weeks and will know for sure whether it is now fixed. Thanks to all for the input.