Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-09-2020

Default Facet Pump Working?

My Yanmar-Kohler 12.5 just got hard to start and now usually won't run for more than a few seconds. In doing a little trouble shooting, I notice that I don't hear the pump run when I hold the switch on the gen panel to Prime. I do hear the relay click. Should I be able to hear the Facet pump running while I hold the Prime switch?

Going to change all the filters on the Gen, the Racor, and the oil to eliminate all those possible issues. But wanted to check on the fuel pump while I'm at it.

Thanks for any help!

“Flyin' Low”
Old 02-09-2020

The Yanmar has an electric fuel pump down by the oil filter. If that pump doesn't work the engine will not run. I looked up the direct replacement pump from Yanmar and it is available but expensive for what it does. I ended up replacing it with a small Edelbrock pump made for diesel service. I just needed a couple of fittings and fabricated a bracket to mount it. The generator has been running great since the change.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 02-09-2020

Change all the filters first. Mine was doing that on our last trip back home. My air filter was the trouble only had a few hundred hours on it. But any that was my issue. all is good with it as of now. Will be using it again this coming up weekend
1986 PT40
1984 Ford GT Turbo Mustang
FMCA # F468571
Old 02-09-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
My Yanmar-Kohler 12.5 just got hard to start and now usually won't run for more than a few seconds. In doing a little trouble shooting, I notice that I don't hear the pump run when I hold the switch on the gen panel to Prime. I do hear the relay click. Should I be able to hear the Facet pump running while I hold the Prime switch?

Going to change all the filters on the Gen, the Racor, and the oil to eliminate all those possible issues. But wanted to check on the fuel pump while I'm at it.

Thanks for any help!
You should be able to hear the pump when you hold the prime switch. There is a second pump mounted beside the Racor for the generator (behind the bumper). Personally I cant hear the one by the Racor run, but that is just one of many things I cant hear anymore. You can crack a bleeder screw and try them one at the time to check operation. You say the generator only runs for a few seconds. Does the start/stop switch illuminate when it does that?
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com
Old 02-09-2020

Well, I thought I was hearing a relay. Today the prime switch resulted in nothing but silence. I did replace the air filter. Tried opening the bleed screw a little to see if prime was working, but got no pressure (or noise). I already have the secondary filter. Waiting on the Racor filter from NAPA on Tuesday before I change the fuel filters.

However, I was able to get the genset to run for quite a while today. Based on no prime, but a running gen, I am wondering if it might be the 1CR relay in the gen control box. Based not he contact numbering, is that a Bosch relay like so many other things in the WL? If so, are they mounted in sockets for easy plug-n-play?

If it is the relay, how difficult is it to get inside there with the gen in the bus?

In mid-May were going to be temp-fulltime and moving to Idaho. Trying to knock out as many mechanical issues that we can before then. This will be a major one to resolve!

“Flyin' Low”