Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your SP model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....List your SP parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-14-2010

Default House Battery Compartment

I decided to clean out my house battery box. I have taken out and cleaned the batteries, cables, etc. I am using rubberized undercoating to refinish the lower portions of the battery compartment. My battery compartment is right under the driver's area. It has managed to stay fairly clean, but I am trying to decide if I should make an effort to seal this compartment more. There is essentially just small cracks where the sides and bottom meet as well as a large 1 1/4" gap in the back corner next to the wheel well.
My question: Is it a good idea to further seal this compartment to prevent dust, moisture, etc.?
I am considering using auto silicone to seal the seams and possibly auto spray foam to close the large gap. Then I intend to use the rubberized undercoating. This comparment only has the batteries and wire connections/silenoids- no inverters.

Jason Warner
Yukon, Oklahoma
1990 SP36
Old 02-14-2010

The batteries need to be vented. The off gassing is explosive when concentrated.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 02-14-2010

Only seal it if you go to AGM batteries or similar. Flooded bats need venting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwarner View Post
I decided to clean out my house battery box. I have taken out and cleaned the batteries, cables, etc. I am using rubberized undercoating to refinish the lower portions of the battery compartment. My battery compartment is right under the driver's area. It has managed to stay fairly clean, but I am trying to decide if I should make an effort to seal this compartment more. There is essentially just small cracks where the sides and bottom meet as well as a large 1 1/4" gap in the back corner next to the wheel well.
My question: Is it a good idea to further seal this compartment to prevent dust, moisture, etc.?
I am considering using auto silicone to seal the seams and possibly auto spray foam to close the large gap. Then I intend to use the rubberized undercoating. This comparment only has the batteries and wire connections/silenoids- no inverters.
Old 02-14-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Jason,

It is a very good thing (IMSHO) to periodically remove the batteries and give everything a thorough cleaning. Baking soda works well to neutralize the acid produced by the batteries venting etc.

Having said that, I would not seal up the battery compartment...

#1 the added corrosion factor... The fumes created need to be vented. If trapped, they will rust everything inside the enclosure.

#2 The hydrogen gas produced as a by product of battery charging is explosive (Hindenburg) and very flammable.

I am glad my batteries are well vented. I did away with the factory cruise control hardware that was mounted to the rear of my battery enclosure opening up more capability to vent the battery gasses. You get the implication here...

I highly recommend using aerosol battery grease on the finished connections to greatly reduce oxidation. I know that using Stainless Steel bolts and nuts also reduce the corrosion factor too...

Good read...

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Good Luck

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-14-2010

Default Great Input

Thanks for the fast input! I will leave the large gap open. I suppose periodic cleaning of the battery box just needs to be on the PM list. One of the things that got me thinking about this was a BMW 528i I had bought for my wife. It had its battery in the bottom of the trunk. The nice thing about it was that it never got dirty nor had any corrosion issues. Obviously, the Bird is a whole 'nother beast!

Jason Warner
Yukon, Oklahoma
1990 SP36
Old 02-14-2010

Jason,

PM is good... I was never a fan of the statement "if it is not broke, don't fix it"...

I have had several Beemers and too like the battery in the trunk. I never had a problem with batteries either. Having the battery in a cool dry trunk is a lot better than in the hot engine compartment

Love your picture album too, Great work!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
Clearwater, Florida
Old 02-14-2010

When I bought mine, the battery box was non exsistant.
I welded a 1/4 piece of steel plating, to make a floor. Then I sprayed Dupont Veraprime, then 3m Rockershultz (chipguard), over that, followed by 3m rubberized undercoating. If I was to do it all over, I'd spread a nice layer of JB weld over the floor, and that's it. I'll bet that would make a great barrier.
Old 02-14-2010

Jim,

A nice sheet of plastic works well too in the bottom of the box. In my PT36 I have a sheet of 1/2" thick Starboard which is used extensively in the marine industry. 1/4" or 3/8" would do too. My battery box is getting made over from scratch too 'cause it is shot

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
Clearwater, Florida