Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 05-01-2010

Default Thanks to my Friend

Yesterday near Harrisburg Pa the Bella decided to dump her front suspension. Called Shane, he talked me through a relatively simple fix (the leveling valve adjustment rod came out of its keeper).

You can't buy this kind of help.

With out this forum and fellows like Shane I just couldn't possibly own one of these machines.

It's on my bucket list to do the same for others, maybe one day.

Thanks again to all and of course especially to Shane.

I don't know about the rest of you but it's a comfort to me to know that even when I am on the road driving alone, I am not really alone. What a PIA it would have been to get road side assistance for what was a relatively simple repair. But it you don't know, and I certainly didn't, you're pretty much helpless.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-01-2010
Forum owner

this group is better than Family!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-01-2010
RV Appraiser

John do you need a new ball joint if so here is the part number. NAPA# 732-1400
I carry a few spares, it's nothing like a $3 part that can put a pit in your gut. You have Shane & I have Bill Pape aren't we LUCKY?
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Last edited by birds_first; 05-01-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
John do you need a new ball joint if so here is the part number.
I carry a few spares, it's nothing like a $3 part that can put a pit in your gut. You have Shane & I have Bill Pape aren't we LUCKY?
John,
Part Number? Thanks.
Well, the part number came through after I sent the previous. Sorry.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com

Last edited by curtsprenger; 05-01-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Internet slow this morning???
Old 05-01-2010

I guess it must be nice to be needed In response to John McGinnes's comment about Bill and Shane. No doubt about there are others as well but Shane has helped me A LOT. Shane's memory is remarkable. He not only remembers what to fix, how to fix it but he'll give you a list of tools and materials you need before you start. Makes me feel rather inadequate frankly.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-01-2010

You are far from inadequate, John. You are capable of maintaining your own bird!! Okay, so you need a little help now and then! That's what got me to buy our bird in the first place, the information that was freely passed amongst the bird owners on this site. You can't buy that ANYPLACE. THANK YOU to Randy for starting this forum, the mods for their OUTSTANDING job keeping things moving in the right direction and to the members for their incredible knowledge and willingness to pass it on.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 05-02-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I guess it must be nice to be needed In response to John McGinnes's comment about Bill and Shane. No doubt about there are others as well but Shane has helped me A LOT. Shane's memory is remarkable. He not only remembers what to fix, how to fix it but he'll give you a list of tools and materials you need before you start. Makes me feel rather inadequate frankly.

HMMMM! I wonder how good Shane is at Dental Work

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-02-2010

Dental work?? Does that involve a hammer? Heckman is too kind. The only reason that I could help out is because my front suspension rod has become dislodged twice in the past and I did not know what to do. Last May, we were on our way to Texas and it came off in Columbus OH on a Friday night around 6. Called for road service ($200) and they stood me up. After 2 hours along the road, I had to call another company and they wanted to tow the coach!!! Knowing the horror stories about that- I assured them that I would get the coach up high enough to get to the rod keeper on the axle. I used my awning rod to reach under the coach and pushed the rod up to fill the bags, then quickly ran inside and deployed the front jacks (mine flip down and will not work if the suspension is dumped). I assumed that the 2nd road service guy would have a pneumatic jack to further lift the frame, but he said just to lift it with the HWH jacks and he'd crawl underneath and fix it. Better him than me! For anyone else out there- do the smart thing and put blue threadlocker on the set screws for the leveling rods. Also mark the rods with paint or a silver sharpie marker so that you know where they should be set if they do come off.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 05-02-2010

Interestingly, on the 1980 the ride height rods are fixed, in other words non-adjustable. They are simply a metal rod, cut to length, with loops welded on the ends. But getting back to the thread, the group has greatly shortened my commercial bus learning curve.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 05-02-2010

Default Persistence and Dedication

Not to get off track but trust me there is no magic to doing dental work.

Shane? And a bunch of you guys would have no problem doing most anything you set your mind too.

I admire most those people who are capable of doing many things well. Guys like Randy, who can fix their equipment, build a house, repair a BB bus and all before having coffee in the morning. And I have always done so. I grew up in a small town and one of my friends fathers was like that. He was always building something, working on a car, building a boat. He had no formal training. Never completed high school. Made a living delivering potato chips but he was one of the people who I admired. He was married young raised six kids. Took them camping and boating. I even remember him "grinding" on his own dentures. That may or may not have been the best idea because he was using a bench grinder to do it but who's to say.

Not that education isn't valuable, but PRACTICAL knowledge and training is NOT to be taken for-granted. The best is to have both.

Steve's father had some decided disadvantages being uneducated. He had to do things the hard way. I saw him make mistakes he would not have made had he had some basic science and physics in his back ground but he worked around his issues. Which I guess is the real secrete. Persistence.

Shane's mentioned that he is having trouble figuring out why his generator isn't working as it should. Think he'll get it figured out? I have no doubt. He has that in common with the most of us on this forum we "getter done" (right Woody?)

You can't own a RV and especially a VINTAGE one and be any thing less the dedicated to it. I guess that's the it, persistence and dedication to what ever. I think that makes you a good cook, baker, or candle stick maker. (Even a dentist) That and the internet

And I AM proud of myself in this respect. I am leaning. At the ripe old age of sixty plus I am learning new things. Takes me longer and I have to take a nap in the middle of some of my projects but I am ****** proud of my bus (thank you) and proud that I am keeping her going down the road. But certainly with the help of my friends.

Thanks guys, again

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold