Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 10-04-2010

Default New member from Idaho

Hello to all,

A big thanks to everyone who spends their time managing and contributing to this board. It is a great resource and now that we have found our Bird I will be reading it "cover to cover".

My wife, Brandis, and I will be completing the purchase of the '89 FC35 that was for sale in Montana in the next few days. We had given up on finding a Wanderlodge before we left the mainland for the winter. Then this Bird raised its head in our neck of the woods and we couldn't be more excited about our adoption, I mean purchase.

I'll be returning to Montana in the next few days to pick it up and have the generator issues diagnosed before putting it in storage for the winter. Looks like we'll be spending the winter reading thru the Bluebox to learn as much as possible before spring and traveling.

Thanks again
Kevin
Old 10-04-2010
Forum owner

welcome to the family!
Keep the bird warm and she will be ready when you get back.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-04-2010

Welcome to the Zoo.

Please be sure your coach is properly winterized and batteries disconnected or plugged into reliable power before the cold hits.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 10-10-2010

I met Kevin today at the KOA. His 'Bird is looking good! Steal of a deal for only $22k or whatever it ended up selling for.
Old 10-25-2010

Hi Richard, Happy to here you bought a Bluebird. I Live in Spokane and have a 1987 FC 35 ft. Very few are around here. Just traveled 2200 miles to Bakersfield to the Hot Rod Reuion. The quality of these things is incredible.
Old 10-26-2010

I didn't know there were other Bird owners in the Spokane area. Maybe we could meet sometime and talk Birds. I'm in Spokane Valley.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 10-26-2010

I'm beginning to think there are more Wanderlodges around than we realize. They are just hidden away. Everyone who came up to me a the KOA and at Onan repair couldn't believe I found mine in the area.

The funny thing is that although I have been looking for a Bird for several years, I never have seen one other than two going the other diirection on 84 a few years ago. Then after leaving a deposit on mine, I was merging onto the freeway toward Missoula and lo and behold right next to me was I believe a late model PT named "Chickadee".

I'll be back in the area in late April or early May and would welcome the chance to get together and talk. Maybe even a Micro Rally?

Take care
Kevin
Old 10-27-2010

i will have to come back to the area next summer. Had a great time in Missoula this year.
Old 11-04-2010

Thought I'd give the particulars on our "Montana '89 FC35". I knew over the years of looking I was thankful for any information relating to condition, coach problems and the purchasing process I could find. I hope this information will be useful to someone contemplating buying a Wanderlodge.

The Craigslist ad was, well, not much of an ad at all. No pictures, and maybe 15 words endng with "Good Condition". Frankly I wasn't very excited, which is something as Wanderlodges are kinda scarce in the mountain west. Nonetheless I called and ended up having a nice conversation with the owners.

Turns out the ad contained no photos because the owners were not computer folk and didn't know how to post pictures. Luckily I was able to convince the wife to send me some scanned photo's via e-mail. A couple hours later the pictures arrived and the race was on.

After meeting the owners and inspecting the coach we learned they were the second owners, each previous owner having owned it for 10 years. The known problems were electrical. The Generator wouldn't start, although it had started in the spring if you started it at the generator. Remote switches were not functional. The coaches batteries would draw down in only a couple of hours. The husband felt all these problems stemmed, from work performed on the coach the previous winter by people who didn't know Bluebirds.

Otherwise the coach was in much better condition than I had imagined, no rust, some rock chipping, a bit of paint fade on the drip rails, and it was in need of a deep cleaning in the nooks and crannies. Upholstery was pretty good, all leather seating was in need of cleaning, but otherwise rip free. We popped the dog house and the engine was spotless, except for a bit of dust. The underside of the coach had minimal surface rust, but was in need of a good power wash. The interior was original, even had the factory carpet runners down and in perfect shape.

After a few hours talking and going over the coach I came to the realization these nice folks didn't really want to sell, but because of mobility issues they knew it was time to let it go. This explained the need for a deep cleaning, they simply couldn't bend and contort as needed to reach everywhere anymore.

The generator issue turned out to be a bad wire to the starting solenoid, solved after $500.00 in labor, and an intermittent short in the remote start wiring, will trace and fix in spring. The battery problems turned out to be a big fuse inline on the negative side of the "house" batteries. Replaced and seems to work fine now.

Other items: Blue Box with all records from last owner, 3yr old drive tires, 7 yr old steers(Michellins, but will replace), Extra hoses and filters, (5)-solar panels, 1 yr old batteries, 1 yr old alternator, 1 new roof AC, 2-storage pods, extra starter(needs re-building), extra alternator, full awnings, a small picture of the PO and their family(will leave up for good luck) and my favorite- (4) Wanderlodge folding chairs in perfect condition.

The coach had been named "Ramblin Rose", but the PO's wife got tired of answering questions about the name and had the name painted over. I assume because the coach is painted blue and was from Montana.

Given the PO's simple ad, sparce info over the phone and lack of pictures, if this Bird had not been in my area I wouldn't have pursued it. Sometimes the luck is with you, cuz if they had made it easier to buy, I bet someone else would own it now.

Kevin
Old 11-04-2010

Sounds like you lucked out on finding a good coach and with the minor problems solved, you should enjoy it for many years.