Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-16-2015

Default Water Tank Fill Problem

I have searched the forum and I have read all the other posts but cannot find a post that directly addresses this issue...and to say that my wife is pissed is a big understatement.

The book says that when the shore hose is attached to the fresh water fill and the fresh water fill switch is "on" that the tank level sensor will trip the tank fill solenoid and cut off the flow from the hose.

Today I noticed that our tank level indicator read half full so I decided to add some water. I read the book on what to do. A few minutes later my wife comes outside screaming that the coach is filling up with water. The shower is full and the toilet is running over. The tank level indicator still reads half full.

Fortunately there was nothing in the black water tank expect a couple of cups of pee and the gray tank had a little bit more liquid. So I dumped both tanks and we wiped up the water on the floor and wet vac'd the carpet in the bedroom.

What happened? How could these tanks be tied together? Who do you hire to fix it?
2019 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS

Last edited by RonC; 08-16-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I have searched the forum and I have read all the other posts but cannot find a post that directly addresses this issue...and to say that my wife is pissed is a big understatement.

The book says that when the shore hose is attached to the fresh water fill and the fresh water fill switch is "on" that the tank level sensor will trip the tank fill solenoid and cut off the flow from the hose.

Today I noticed that our tank level indicator read half full so I decided to add some water. I read the book on what to do. A few minutes later my wife comes outside screaming that the coach is filling up with water. The shower is full and the toilet is running over. The tank level indicator still reads half full.

Fortunately there was nothing in the black water tank expect a couple of cups of pee and the gray tank had a little bit more liquid. So I dumped both tanks and we wiped up the water on the floor and wet vac'd the carpet in the bedroom.

What happened?

Ron, After reading this post I am wondering if you are attaching the fresh water hose to the fresh water tank. Do you have a black tank with a water hose fitting on it? If you do, you may not be filling your fresh water tank but filling the black tank and it is over flowing into the grey tank. That hose fitting is to flush the black tank. You need somebody to show you how to operate you coach if this is the issue. The fresh water hook up should be labeled. If I am right, you may want to consider getting a new hose for your fresh water, because you may have contaminated it with waste from your black and grey tanks. It really isn't safe to use that hose again. You could get pretty sick using it to fill your fresh tank. Can you take some pics of your hook ups and post them?

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-16-2015

Delete

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN

Last edited by isp2952; 08-17-2015 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Deleted because of double post
Old 08-17-2015

I am sure what Jim has described is happening. The black flush connection is at the far left lower side of the compartment. The CORRECT fresh water connection is more in the center.

The M380 has an automatic shut off for the fresh water fill, but mine had been disconnected by the PO and I operate it just as I did with my SP and everyone else and just fill until it run out the overflow. No way this can back up into the shower or toilet.
Old 08-18-2015

Default "Problem" solved?

After the overflow and before you dumped them, what were the waste tank level readings? A toilet overflow (black tank) at the same time a shower (gray tank) overflows would be highly unlikely. The fresh water lines are not connected directly to the waste tanks except at the faucets/toilet valve. Were any of the faucets or toilet running while you were trying to fill? And the black tank is not connected to the gray except at the dump Y. Even the roof vents are separate. Did you have both Dupree Valves open at the same time? That's a big no-no since one always dumps the black first, closes it then dumps the gray. I agree with Jim B - the potable water tank had received no fresh water and that points to what Jim W says. When filling the potable water tank use ONLY the fresh/potable city water connection (mine is tan color) NOT the black tank flush connection on the lower left (mine is black) and don't mix the two hoses. My potable water auto fill shutoff works as the manual says. However if the auto fill does not work at all, then the Sporlan valve might need attention (search the WOG if that happens). Never heard of a malfunctioning Sporlan valve staying open and it wouldn't fill either of the dump tanks even if it did.

Don't feel bad, the learning curve with these machines is steep. Can't tell you how many times I've asked myself "What's wrong with this thing?" and the answer turns out to be nothing! IE operator error
Old 08-18-2015

Van you are correct on all counts. I have no idea what the tank level indicators read after the overflow and before the dump. My wife was making too much noise for me to look. I just went out and dumped...in the proper order...and the water receded.

I still have not filled the potable water tank because it is still reading half full.

Thanks everyone for the help.
2019 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS
Old 08-18-2015

Thumbs up How to videos

Ron - glad "problem" solved. I have become a fan of the RVGeeks videos. Check out the ones about tank filling, dumping & sanitizing. Not bird specific but some excellent information!

http://thervgeeks.com/water-and-sewer/