Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 02-07-2015

wow, thanks for all the advice.

Love it.

If only we could have taken the motorcycles. I agree, that would be the way to do it. Unfortunately Matthew can not ride at the moment.....so we sold both our motorcycles. Miss them, but life changes. And maybe in a few years he'll be able to ride again. Get new ones.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the great advice.

~T
Old 02-08-2015

I might add not to take your coach into Custer SP as the roads are narrow winding an the campgrounds are not set up for that size coach....please don't ask me how I know.
Old 02-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Much nicer in September. I can't take the crowds. I know with school you probably have to compromise but if you can find a way. I love the west and REALLY hope I can make a trip out this coming year. I may just take the month of September "off" and do it.

Anyone want to run with me????
I am definitely considering it - especially if is in Sept.
Our son Chris is the production manager and audio engineer for "Get The Led Out" (Led Zeppelin tribute band) will be performing at Red Rocks (Morrison CO) on Sept 24. Emma & I will be there one way or another .
Although we see them every year (March - April) when they do the FL circuit, nothing can compare with the Red Rocks Amphitheatre - probably the most awesome venue in the world
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 02-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherBroke View Post
I might add not to take your coach into Custer SP as the roads are narrow winding an the campgrounds are not set up for that size coach....please don't ask me how I know.
I live a couple of hours north of there. We took our 1990 WB 40' there last summer. Did NOT have any trouble at all.

I do not know about the campgrounds though, we stayed up near Deadwood.

You may well have to do some backtracking though, as you CANNOT go on the Needles Highway, or any of them that have tunnels. You will NOT FIT. Ss, just check the map to see where the tunnels are, and you are fine.

The map that just about every business in the Black Hills has on their desk for free is great! It shows the tunnels, etc. just fine.

Go into the Game Lodge in Custer SP. Great scenery, nice place. But, make sure you do NOT go back thru the Needles! If you have a toad, do take that thru the Needles. It is a GREAT road. Go early in the AM, and plan your route so you are going thru the tunnels TOWARD Mt. Rushmore, in the AM. They are built so that the tunnels frame Mt. Rushmore, and with the AM sun, it is glorious.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 02-08-2015
RV Appraiser

I highly recommend either Custer State Park or Wind Cave National Park for a basecamp in the Rushmore area. Wind Cave is a little further south but it is less than an hour to Rushmore. There are also several NFS campgrounds worth the time to seek out if you don't mind dry camping for a few days. The elk should be in rut and Wind Cave NP they are bugleing almost all night and it was an expierence Fran & I will never forget. Also you have to take time to visit the Mammoth digsite in Hot Springs, SD just south of WCNP and there is the wild mustang refuge park near there as well. WCNP had 30/50 amp service, fire pits & water for around $16 w/geezer card but no dump. From WCNP you are about 30 minutes to the middle of CSP and another 30 minutes to Rushmore, WELL worth the travel time becasue of all the wildlife & scenery you'll encounter. If we hadn't been last year I'd be up for it again. I would also recommend a few days in Yellowstone & the Grand Tetons a days drive, during September, they have elk & moose and that is their rut period as well.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 02-11-2015

Thanks all!!
Loving the replies.

We'll have our big boy with us....Xander. (see him below)

When doing the scenic drives are we able to have him with us? Just wondering if he'll be able to enjoy the ride as well or if he should just do one of the things he does best.....stay in the Bird and lounge.

Thanks.

~T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141129_075944.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	33990  
Old 02-12-2015

Xander is a Browns Fan! He's got good taste.
Herndon, VA
Old 07-16-2015

what a wonderful trip!! This Bird will get you up and down a 10% grade just fine loaded down and pulling a tow. Not the fastest out there, but hey, we got there. Fun had by all!!

We stayed at the KOA in pulmer gulch.
The kids completely enjoyed this place. Was worth spending more on the rate so they had plenty of activities to do.

And we had our 2 Danes with us.
Everywhere we stopped was pet friendly. Now we didn't take them into any places that served food, but we stopped at Wall Drug and other random places. All seemed to be ok with you walking your pets with you....although, with as many people who stopped us to caulk at our dogs and take pictures, we should have charged. LOL

We slept one night courtesy of Wal-Mart in Mitchell and another at Sleepy Hallow RV/Campground in Wall on the way there....heading home we did it in one day.

~T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11695765_10207125269033525_1988853151654304367_n.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	36758  

Last edited by teamf4; 07-16-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added info