Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-22-2016
Resident Rookie

Default Automatic Generator Start System Installation

After having to leave our Bird in a friend’s for 8 days without any power, I decided I wanted an Automatic Generator Start System. I still have the Heart Interface 2000 Inverter (Modified Sine Wave) and didn’t really want to convert to a new inverter, so I used the hardwired Onan Energy Command 30 unit.

By the way, I have a New In Box , (Never opened) Xantrex Automatic Generator Start unit part #809-915, Serial # B13066571, manufactured 10 April 2015, with software version V03.03.00, compatible with Freedom SW Inverter/Charger Series 815-2012, 815-3012, 815-2024 and 815-3024 and requires Xanbus System Control (SCP) part #808-0921 for operation. I will make a super deal for a WOG Member! Like to get $140.00.

This is the Onan Energy Command 30 system test fitted in the panel:

After reading the installation instructions, (I know….why do that now?) I decided that if I had to run 16 wires to it, I would install it in the galley control panel with a Volt-Minder, new propane leak detector and valve control, and a new Frig/freezer thermometer/alarm which meant that I would have to build another oak control panel. Below are the old and new panels. The new one does not have the clear lacquer on it yet so it looks slightly pale:

Here is the new panel with lacquer applied (in the "Aggie Paint Booth"):

Then, I installed the new toys into the panel and built a 48 inch wiring harness that allows me to take the control panel down to the stove top to trouble-shoot any problems. This harness is wired to a buss bar (installed in the space above the microwave) so I can access and identify each wire with a meter if necessary:

This is the new panel with the goodies (except for the OEM switch panel) installed:

This is the buss bar with the wiring harness installed:

Now I have some wiring to pull. I need to find a 120 VAC source that is not on the inverter to use as a sensing for shore power (maybe the Safeline sensor). Then I need to run wires from both engine and coach batteries, as well as a wire from the generator hour meter. But it is cold outside, so I may have to wait a while before they get done!! May not get it done before Valdalia Mini-Rally.

I will install it tomorrow (and Post a photo) and finish the wiring when it is a little warmer.

Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 01-22-2016

Excellent work Bob! That looks awesome and very well thought out.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 01-22-2016
Resident Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
Excellent work Bob! That looks awesome and very well thought out.
Thank you, Sir......still have a couple of small details to work out.
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

IBA #11205
Old 01-22-2016
Timberlake Products Group

Bob,

I have the same one and love it I even wired in the auto A/C start function so when the thermostat calls for A/C, it will start the generator and run it, how cool is that (no pun intended!) that is what the two bottom white switches are for. Sorry for the blurry picture too, argh

Don't forget to wire in a remote safety reset button too. it is the bottom left red button in my picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_5254.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	40191  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 01-22-2016
Resident Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Bob,

I have the same one and love it I even wired in the auto A/C start function so when the thermostat calls for A/C, it will start the generator and run it, how cool is that (no pun intended!) that is what the two bottom white switches are for. Sorry for the blurry picture too, argh
That's what I want to be able to do.....trying to figure out how to get to the center A/C t-stat on other side of coach. Did you wire it in the A/C unit or at the t-stat? For the few times I will need it, I am just going to wire the center one, unless I can figure out an easy way to get to all three t-stats from the right side of the Bird. The front A/C might be easy if I do it at the same time I upgrade the unit. I think I can intercept that command wire at the A/C unit itself using the same 22 ga. wires from the t-stat.
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

IBA #11205
Old 01-22-2016
Resident Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Bob,......Don't forget to wire in a remote safety reset button too. it is the bottom left red button in my picture!

Is that a momentary switch that connects 12 VDC to the safety Input (+) terminal?
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

IBA #11205
Old 01-22-2016
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johannesen View Post
Is that a momentary switch that connects 12 VDC to the safety Input (+) terminal?
Yes it is a momentary switch and $2.99 at Radio Shack I installed a relay in my front and rear AC units that are low voltage wired back to the panel AC30 Onan panel. I am old school Bob, no remote thermostats I pulled the trim strip down from my ceiling panels and then could wire behind the panel. I am sure you probably don't have it that easy! Murphy's law I guess? I will look into re acquainting myself with all the particulars too

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup