Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-09-2016
Mad Scientist

Default LX40 Hydraulics

Hey Guys,

I know I've been kinda quiet here since my wife and I drove our new-to-us 2003 LX40 cross country on its delivery trip the first part of this year, but I have been busy. In between cancer treatments I've been fiddling here and there with our coach (pictures and story of the improvements I've done to follow soon), and we have also been out on the road for a number of short trips here in Washington State.

Here is a pretty doggone bonehead question: Where is the hydraulic reservoir (that I assume includes the power steering - if not, I need location of the both the power steering pump & reservoir and the main hydraulic system)? I seem to have not paid attention to that part of my delivery indoctrination as I can't remember squat about that subject. I need to know what hydraulic fluid to add for the main system (slide out, radiator fan, etc) and power steering system if separate. Last week when I drove the Bird home from our last outing, the hydraulic pump was making a **** of a lot noise at a cold start after sitting idle for three weeks. Until things warmed up the power steering would cut in and out....I know, shame shame for letting the fluid get low, but I don't even know where to check for proper level, etc.

Many thanks to anyone who can help we with this one.

Jon

Jon P Brumbach, Sr
Ravensdale, WA
2003 LX40 w/slide
2003 Suburu Forester (Toad A)
2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax-Allison 4WD Pickup (Toad B)
2002 Monaco Knight 34PBD SOLD!
email me at: retreat7@isomedia.com
-or-
text or call 206-459-3388
Old 12-09-2016

is there a big blue tank at the curb side rear corner of you LX? that's where mine is. My system calls for Rando 32 I believe. I get it at O Rileys Auto.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-09-2016

[QUOTE=BigJon;363549]Hey Guys,

I know I've been kinda quiet here since my wife and I drove our new-to-us 2003 LX40 cross country on its delivery trip the first part of this year, but I have been busy. In between cancer treatments I've been fiddling here and there with our coach (pictures and story of the improvements I've done to follow soon), and we have also been out on the road for a number of short trips here in Washington State.

Here is a pretty doggone bonehead question: Where is the hydraulic reservoir (that I assume includes the power steering - if not, I need location of the both the power steering pump & reservoir and the main hydraulic system)? I seem to have not paid attention to that part of my delivery indoctrination as I can't remember squat about that subject. I need to know what hydraulic fluid to add for the main system (slide out, radiator fan, etc) and power steering system if separate. Last week when I drove the Bird home from our last outing, the hydraulic pump was making a **** of a lot noise at a cold start after sitting idle for three weeks. Until things warmed up the power steering would cut in and out....I know, shame shame for letting the fluid get low, but I don't even know where to check for proper level, etc.

Many thanks to anyone who can help we with this one.

Jon[/QUOTE Jon look at back engine compartment big blue reservoir fill and dip stick on top maybe sticker for type fluid too mind uses HD 32 Hydraulic also read on wog about fluids too

CARL & DONA BRORUP
EATONTON, GEORGIA
1998 40' LX BODY # F 120221
2015 jeep Wrangler unlimited
k9 Cougar GSD EOW 4/22/019
K9 LUCY(LU LU) Aussie
K9 Sasha von GSD (EOW 4/1/015) WOG 2014
KB4WNJ & KE4SIL
706-473-0750 email kb4wnj@aol.com
Old 12-09-2016
AKA Tent Boy

Is the hydraulic pump piggy backed on the air compressor like on the 300 Cummins???

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 12-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor7cs View Post
Is the hydraulic pump piggy backed on the air compressor like on the 300 Cummins???
Larry it has a PTO driven Pump. Mounted on the curb side of the transmission.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-12-2016
Mad Scientist

Many thanks to Rick and CWDLB62 - I located the tank, and the fill/dipstick port and added about 1/2 gal of HD32 hydraulic oil to get it to "cold full" on the dipstick.

Jon

Jon P Brumbach, Sr
Ravensdale, WA
2003 LX40 w/slide
2003 Suburu Forester (Toad A)
2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax-Allison 4WD Pickup (Toad B)
2002 Monaco Knight 34PBD SOLD!
email me at: retreat7@isomedia.com
-or-
text or call 206-459-3388
Old 12-13-2016

Jon,

Are you aware of the spline wear problem on the pto and hydraulic pump that the LX and LXI coaches (and some other BB's) have? Mine was ready to fail at 56,000 mi. Other coaches have been better and some worse. Search for further info.
Old 12-13-2016

Randy has a tread on here telling how to fix dat think they are running a line with trans fluid to keep it lubricated