Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > RV Products Review

RV Products Review Do you use or know of a RV related product that you would like to give us your opinion of good or bad, just list it here and be as descriptive as possible about it and be sure to tell us where we can purchase it at.

Site Search:

Old 02-11-2017
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Default Solar Penny - High Voltage Solar Systems

Solar Penny - High Voltage Solar Systems

Hello All,

For years I've been preaching about high voltage solar systems and the advantages of using them with MPPT controllers. Since then I have not had to plug in or use my generator (except to power AC's in the AZ summer while travelling) for over 2 years now.

There are many different ways to install/design/use solar systems BUT there's a clear path for doing it with cost savings, performance, and dependability that many overlook. If you only want to do it once, then this is your guide.

I've worked out a deal with Solar Penny in Mesa, Arizona to work with us to achieve this goal; supply a good product, at a good price, with excellent performance. If you have any questions contact the owner; Aaron. If you have more specific Wanderlodge related questions contact me.

I have no financial interest in Aaron's company and make no money at all doing this. Just trying to help out a local business and our Wanderlodge group. I'm Simply matching wonderful people with a wonderful product.

Sales & Technical Support
Solar Penny
4410 E University Drive
Suite 107
Mesa, AZ 85205
P: 480-832-0585
F: 480-393-2904
Retail Store Hours:
Tuesday - Friday 9-5PM
Saturday - 9-2PM
Sundays & Mondays - Closed

Aaron - sales@solarpenny.com

I've had Aaron assemble some systems for us. I know many of you do not want to invest a lot of money into solar BUT if you do anything less than a 280w system in our coaches it probably won't even keep your batteries topped off even just for storage purposes due to our parasitic loads.

Also, ANY system with the Midnite Solar controller can be expanded for just the price of the new panel ($1/watt) in the future. It costs a little bit more up front but allows you to grow in the future. Most companies will simply sell you a "deal" that you cannot use to expand so you'll be out much more $$ than you realize down the road when you also have to upgrade basic components for your new system.
  • So the 280/560 watt MorningStar systems are designed for lowest cost possible, you cannot expand.
  • The 280/560/840 Midnite Classic systems can all be expanded by simply the cost of the new solar panels.
  • When price shopping keep in mind that Aaron's systems are all inclusive. They include the panels, electrical box, DC breakers, wires, plugs, mounting hardware, etc. On most of those "deals" you'll find those are all hidden items!
  • Did I mention Aaron also ships?

See Attached Price List
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MIKE PUTZ BLUE BIRD 2 11 2017 PDF.pdf (48.3 KB, 469 views)
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 02-11-2017

If any of you are looking for what a similar system can get you in the real world. We just spent two weeks at Quartzsite with a similar system to the 840 watt system Mike listed. Our system has 3 ea 275 watt panels with a Midnite charge controller. With the panels tilted, we were getting 340 to 380 AH per day with a peak charge of just over 52 amps. This was on the days with little or no cloud cover. I have a 4th panel at home and think with it added, next year should be able to run the LXI with Samsung without any generator - at least on sunny days.
Old 02-11-2017

Michael, is solar installation a feasible DIY project? Also, does Aaron provide scematics showing how/where the system interfaces with the existing wiring in our coaches? If not DIY, do you have any idea of cost & time to have it done? I'm gonna get solar in our PT-40, probably end of this year so I can make Quartzite 2018.
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 02-11-2017

Hi Mike,

Its definitely a DIY project.

Ive done it, and helped a few others...

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=22193

We got our parts from this place, might be closer to you ;} or check around locally.
Note that in AZ solar is exempt from sales tax! And if you buy batteries from a solar place no tax either ;}
Its in Flagstaff, lots closer to us than Phoenix...
https://www.solar-electric.com/

Wiring is not hard, just hook the output of the solar controller to the batteries. Use switches and fuses as needed ;}

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 02-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
Michael, is solar installation a feasible DIY project? Also, does Aaron provide scematics showing how/where the system interfaces with the existing wiring in our coaches? If not DIY, do you have any idea of cost & time to have it done? I'm gonna get solar in our PT-40, probably end of this year so I can make Quartzite 2018.
Like most projects just depends on your abilities. It typically takes 2 people to safely get the panels on the roof. Once mounted the wiring is straight forward and Aaron is VERY helpful. I'd have to give customer service an A+ there. Aaron also has an installer that does contract work for him so anyone passing through can setup an install here.

If you already have an inverter the best place to tie in is there. The inverter already has a huge cable going to the battery, no need to duplicate that. The wiring is very simple and straight forward, only two wires from the solar and two going to the inverter (or batteries). Then some simple menu driven controller setup to match your system and the instructions come with the controller. There you set "solar", 12v, battery ah size, charge settings, bulk, float, etc.. These specs you can pick "canned" options or better, check with your battery spec sheet to tailor to your system. :-)

Old 02-11-2017

How big are the panels?
What is the voltage output of the panels and do you run them parallel or in series?

Please
87 FC35 "Old School"
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 02-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
How big are the panels?
What is the voltage output of the panels and do you run them parallel or in series?

Please
NOTE: ALL my system designs are in series, these are high voltage MPPT systems.

All these systems are based around a Canadian Solar CS6K-280M 280 watt panel;

1) He always has them in stock
2) They are mono-crystalline so very efficient (17.11%)
3) Are rated up to 5400 pa snow & 2400 pa wind
4) 25 yr linear output warranty, 10 yr materials & workmanship
5) Largest of the 60 cell panels
6) Dimensions - 65"L x 39.1"W x 1.57"D (weighs 40.1 lbs)
7) Specs - Vmp=31.5v, Imp=8.89a
8) Outstanding low irradiance performance (96.5%)
9) By using these as a standard we can build on them from 280w all the way to 1120 watts with the same controller and wiring

So basically it's just a good all round bang-4-buck design that is flexible enough to save you money if/when you want to expand.

Old 02-12-2017

Mike,

What would be an expected installation time and cost for the 1120 watt system in Flagstaff?
Old 02-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by halkading View Post
Mike,

What would be an expected installation time and cost for the 1120 watt system in Flagstaff?
I'm not sure? Just last week another Wog'r tried to get this system in Yuma and the cost was over $1,000 more. I'm sure installation was part of that but not that much more????

If you cannot make Mesa then I'd hit up Joe's idea;
https://www.solar-electric.com/

Let me know what they quote you.

Old 02-13-2017

For those who might be interested, this thread (Much early discussion if lithium batteries, but solar details start around post #33) has details about the 1,425 watt house panel array I installed last year. Unfortunately, recent WOG server problem has deleted the many pictures I included to illustrate my project . Hopefully, that will be remedied soon. I paid about .62 cents per watt for my black 60 cell Suniva 285 mono panels shipped from Miami for around $200/pallet (one or six on pallet). SunElec.com just offered me a 280 watt Suniva panel in Phoenix for the same price (no tax and no shipping if you pick it up in Phoenix) . Talk with Shelly in their Miami phone call center because I had trouble getting the Phoenix office to respond. Because I knew what I wanted, how to set it all up and was doing my own install - I was totally comfortable acquiring my panels via mail order. That said, if you are looking for a "kit", Putz's guy at Solar Penny in Mesa AZ might be the way to go.