Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
When’s the last time you physically checked the battery cell fluid levels? Even if you use an auto-watering system, one “filler” can go bad. Nothing kills a battery faster or deader than a dry or exposed cell. When that happens, the rest of the pack can do some strange things.
Agree...I failed to follow mfg instructions to pull the auto fill caps every 6 months for a look see...and had to purchase new batteries.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 02-24-2018
Not so Junior anymore

OK last time I check the batteries was less than two months ago.
I wanted to wait until my batteries were had a full stater charge before I ran any additional tests.
One of the things I've learned so far is my battery chargers are not designed to take completely dead batteries and bring them back to life. I read the manual again because it seem to be taking an excessive amount of time to charge the batteries and learned that my battery charger has timers on each of the states of charge. It does not necessarily "read" the state of charge of the battery. And that my battery charger was not designed to charge your battery bank of eight batteries. Basically yesterday afternoon I had to shut my battery charger off and started cycle over again. At this point my batteries were probably at 50% actual state of charge. At this point in time my batterie mongering system is indicating how about a 95% state of charge now I can do my hydrometer test and load test.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 02-24-2018
Not so Junior anymore

I do not use auto fill caps. But I religiously check my own batteries every six months or less. They are always kept clean. I don't know about you but I'm not big on spending $1000 to replace batteries.
My battery monitoring system says my batteries are charged but I took a hydrometer and tested three of them and all three indicates that they are not charged. I load tested them also and the load test indicates all three are good. And yes I know how to use a hydrometer and I know how to use a load tester. I even used to hydrometers of different styles to double check the readings because they were all the same. The load test readings are also the same. This is actually a good indication to me it just indicates that I may need to do a lot more work. As my friend Larry suggested I have remove the battery from the middle of the pack and I'm now charging it independently to see if it comes up to a better state of charge. Batteries are not as simple as people think.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 02-24-2018

I'm thinking you're ok, those hydrometer are better at looking for a dead cells in a single battery, but can take some time to settle into location. Since they read specific gravity maybe you just have some weird, wicked gravity there in Yuma.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog

Last edited by Randy T; 02-24-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2018

The voltage of batteries is no clue to what they'll do under load. My 2¢

yup I found that out when they kept telling me my genset battery was good, when in fact under load it wasnt. Had asked for a load test twice. They said was good. Guess they didnt want to replace the interstate battery under warranty.
I went somewhere else.

Rose Mary
82 turbo FC 35
JP's White Bird
SW Oregon
Old 03-02-2018
Tired and now Retired!!

Not sure if this is the same on yours, but on Baby Bluey my electronic lock was sluggish. Then my engine batteries died and I had them replaced. As soon as I did that the door lock worked great. So for Baby Bluey, a 93WB, it seems the door lock runs off the engine batteries.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks