Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default Inverter heat

I finally have my Samlex Inverter installed. The bay is only 30x30x24 deep. The Default bulk charge is 40 amps but I changed it to 75. My batteries were very low. The charger portion has been running for 3.5 hours. I had closed the bay door. I just opened the door and the inverter is quite hot. I should have taken the temp but the unit was uncomfortably hot. Not good. Any suggestions on venting the bay without water entry? I still have my Intellipower 80 amp smart charger and it never got very hot. I could disable the Samlex charger and rely on the other charger. But why buy a nice inverter/charger and not use it?? Should have added: My Bird is in my shop and it is about 84 degrees inside! **** hot here.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 3 Weeks Ago

On my 1990 coach I was having the same problem. Heat in that area. No vent, etc. I had Coachcraft cut some holes in the back side. Problem then became the fan pulling in lots of dust and even small pebbles on or from my gravel driveway. My fan is set to high all the time. Believe me it really works.
The fix was to put a filter over the holes. Has worked so far.
I would think the next thing would to be move the inverter to another location. They seem to just use cheap little fans to cool the inverters. It doesn't take much to stop one.
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by schamp View Post
On my 1990 coach I was having the same problem. Heat in that area. No vent, etc. I had Coachcraft cut some holes in the back side. Problem then became the fan pulling in lots of dust and even small pebbles on or from my gravel driveway. My fan is set to high all the time. Believe me it really works.
The fix was to put a filter over the holes. Has worked so far.
I would think the next thing would to be move the inverter to another location. They seem to just use cheap little fans to cool the inverters. It doesn't take much to stop one.
On mine the Magnum inverter is above the batteries on the bay next to Racor/engine bay so it is vented somewhat. But I think it magnum is much smaller than the size you mentioned.
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 3 Weeks Ago

You should try to put like a BBQ probe with a remote LCD readout thingy in there and run it with the door closed. It can run hot, like 150F probably. If you do vent the compartment just remember you need an intake and exhaust. One fan isn't going to do much unless the compartment isn't sealed up very well.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

That compartment is sealed very well. I think a computer fan with a filter and maybe clamshells or soffit vents in the side will work. I am going to run the charger portion with the bay door closed and then see what my temp gun says. I could put the battery heat sensor in the bay as a backup protector. The unit will go into fault mode if the transformer or heat sink get over a certain temp.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Being a PT40 my Xantrex inverter\charger sits in the small bay behind the tag tire. The Xantrex would overheat and shut down when charging on hot days even with the factory open louvers in the compartment. I addressed the water intrusion issue by covering the louvers with bulk air filter foam. I sandwiched it with pieces of expanded metal and I've had no problems with water in the compartment. For the overheating issue I got 2 120 volt muffin fans, 1 pulls air into the compartment and the other pushes hot air out. I wired them through a snap disc that closes at 120 degrees and opens at 95. Since doing this the only time I've had an overheating issue is when the first snap disc failed. Even with the fans blowing through the filter foam the flow is plenty to keep it cool.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Shahin> Those measurements are the bay not the inverter. But the Samlex is much larger than the Magnum in our Dynasty. About triple the size. Magnum are great inverters. Easy to setup. The Dynasty has a residential fridge and I leave the inverter in the on position. It goes to sleep when under shore power and seamlessly starts up when you disconnect shore power.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Or put it back on 40 amps, more amps = more heat
Old 3 Weeks Ago

There’s lots of computer fan dust filters just google it.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Computer-Fan-...1495/bn_661882
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Also check with the manual, most times the orientation of the device also affects its cooling. But yea, ventilation is a necessity.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509