Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 01-07-2008
Forum owner

Default powertech generator

Robs genny is giving him some troubles,the generator end is still working but has some kind of problem,maybe the dilithieum crystals are bad?
anyway in a few months he will be removing his genny,and replacing the genny,keeping the same engine.
we will be recording all of this with lots of pics.
Stay tuned!
Randy
Old 01-07-2008
Administrator

Rob seemed to be having trouble with the new Surge Ptotector working with the
Generator, I thought it was the auto-transfer switch. Or a install wireing issue.

BilL 88 FC Michigan
Old 01-07-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Rob seemed to be having trouble with the new Surge Protector working with the
Generator, I thought it was the auto-transfer switch. Or a install wiring issue.

Bill 88 FC Michigan
Hi Bill,

I have the same problem with my Surge Protector, that Rob installed for me. Last year at RITV the fellow that was doing the seminar about them, said that this problem, with the generator and the Surge Protector, was caused by a ever so slight drop in voltage below the lower limits that was the cause of the Surge Protector turning the power off, so I just don't use mine when I use my generator, which unlike Rob's is a Perkins / Marathon 15K model.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-08-2008
Forum Moderator

this is all true and yesterday I ran over some road debris and put a hole in the genny radiator. Will have to pull that out too
Old 01-09-2008
Administrator

Default Surge Protector

Rob has a Powertech, John a Perkins, Our 88 FC has an Onan,
Probably not the same....

But, I wired the SP just ahead of the main AC power load distribution center, all voltage and current passes thru the SP.
50 amp, 30 amp, 15/20 amp and the generator power output.
All works great.

I side benefit of the SP is the ability to read accurately the Volts , Amps and very important, the Frequency when using the Generator. The SP remote readout is far more accurate that the BB overhead Volt/Amp meters.

Our 8.0K Onan starts to groan at about 80% load and the freq is the first to deteriorate, It is easy to load in 80% with a few electric heaters, hot water tank and a block heater, then kick on the microwave, to warm up a cup of coffee,
Rob and John, try running the gennie until is a bit warmed up and running smooth, then connect in the gennerator with a small load of several watts.
Old 01-09-2008

Quote:
Rob has a Powertech, John a Perkins, Our 88 FC has an Onan,
Probably not the same....

But, I wired the SP just ahead of the main AC power load distribution center, all voltage and current passes thru the SP.
50 amp, 30 amp, 15/20 amp and the generator power output.
All works great.

I side benefit of the SP is the ability to read accurately the Volts , Amps and very important, the Frequency when using the Generator. The SP remote readout is far more accurate that the BB overhead Volt/Amp meters.

Our 8.0K Onan starts to groan at about 80% load and the freq is the first to deteriorate, It is easy to load in 80% with a few electric heaters, hot water tank and a block heater, then kick on the microwave, to warm up a cup of coffee,
Rob and John, try running the gennie until is a bit warmed up and running smooth, then connect in the gennerator with a small load of several watts.
Bill,

Mine will do that after it gets warmed up, for instance when I have all three air conditioners running and one of them cycles, it will for a fraction of a second drop below the SP limit and shut off power for everything that was running. I really doubt that it is overloading the 15K generator in my 'Bird. Budweiser installed the 15K generator package, just before they sold the 'Bird.

When I had the Perkins injector pump rebuilt, the Perkins dealer set the cycles whit the engine warmed up and as much of a load as I could put on it, they let it run, for quite a while, but at the time the airconditioner would not cycle, so we didn't know that there was a voltage drop issue, that showed up for the first time when it was 110 degrees out side in North Dakota last summer and I couldn't find a place to stop and turn off the SP, so I just don't use it on the generator.

We didn't have any room to install it the way you did.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-09-2008
Administrator

Wow, The roof AC is creating a heavy short term load, Sounds like it is a low voltage shutdown, rather than a low frequency shut down. Your gennie definetely has the power available.
I do not have the SP specs. with me. But, I believe the low voltage shut down is about 105 Volts.
Possibly it is only one of the AC's, that draws a heavier load and it is getting ready to die....?????
Old 01-09-2008

Quote:
Wow, The roof AC is creating a heavy short term load, Sounds like it is a low voltage shutdown, rather than a low frequency shut down. Your gennie definetely has the power available.
I do not have the SP specs. with me. But, I believe the low voltage shut down is about 105 Volts.
Possibly it is only one of the AC's, that draws a heavier load and it is getting ready to die....?????
Yes it is a low voltage shutdown and I will just wait until the Airconditioner dies, before I replace it

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-11-2008
Forum Moderator

The problem with my genny is most likely within the genny itself. The regulator is new. The problem manifests itself in 'strobing' lights. The incandesant lights flicker and this flickering does not go away until a really large load is put on the genny (two or three AC units). Power Tech folks in Florida think it may be one of two things.....an electrical fault within the genny circuitry or a mechanical fault where the armature is not running true (ie possible bad bearing)
Old 01-11-2008
Administrator

Rob,

Sounds expensive, Will you be in Leesburg or Florida this year????