Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-31-2012

Thanks Markus. Good to hear it's doing great. I don't think 4k is not bad at all.
Versailles, Ky.

Old 05-31-2012

Markus, Did you replace just the generator or engine/generator both?
Old 05-31-2012

Nothing wrong with the Kohler engine, so that stayed. Just the generator was replaced.

Its all relative I guess. 4K was a hard pill to swallow, to be quite honest. Had I not had an inkling it was coming (Shane had warned me about it when I bought the bus) and had I not braced myself for it, it might have pushed me over the edge. I never spent that much in one shot on my Class C except when I first bought it and went through it with a fine toothed comb having all kinds of maintenance done. Yes, I know its a Wanderlodge, but still a lot of money. Anyhow, it works, and more importantly, a/c works going down the road and the rest of the family is happy!
VB 1570
Old 05-31-2012

I'm still equating everything back to my boating days. The bigger, higher quality you go, the more it costs to maintain. On our 32 footer, we had a complete set of high quality sails made (3 sails) and it cost us around $4,000. On our 37 footer, you couldn't even touch the head sail for that! I'm guessing it's the same when you buy a Wanderlodge, everything is bigger and more expensive, especially generators since there are a bunch of systems and amenities to support. I'm sure it will settle down......won't it? LOL
Old 05-31-2012

I think the newer coaches are and well become even more expensive to keep up (as compared to our mid eighties buses). This is not a cheap hobby by any stretch of the imagination. But look at it this way $4000 spread over the life of the coach isn't out of line. Anything with ??? and tires costs money. Markus our buddy Shane filled in the question marks for me and I laughed and laughed at that one. It's funny but it's true. You could do without I guess. I feel very fortunate. There may come a time when I can't afford the bus but if that happens no regrets.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-31-2012
Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBiscuit View Post
I'm still equating everything back to my boating days. The bigger, higher quality you go, the more it costs to maintain. On our 32 footer, we had a complete set of high quality sails made (3 sails) and it cost us around $4,000. On our 37 footer, you couldn't even touch the head sail for that! I'm guessing it's the same when you buy a Wanderlodge, everything is bigger and more expensive, especially generators since there are a bunch of systems and amenities to support. I'm sure it will settle down......won't it? LOL
Reminds me of my younger sailing days. I helped a delivery skipper friend of mine sail some boats back from Mexico to San Francisco. He said that it was not uncommon for the owners of the boats to ask the skipper to MOTOR the boat home. Said it was cheaper to replace the motor than pop for a new suit of sails.

Sorry for the thread-jack... Just some old pleasant memories of a by-gone era. Now back to your regularly scheduled Blue Bird Thread.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com

Last edited by Blue Emu; 05-31-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Add a funny thread jack appology.