Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-18-2011

Default GENERATOR Yanmar/Kohler

After the trip to the beach i got home and now the generator wont start. As soon as i try to start it it blows the 10 amp fuse in the control box. I have removed the starter had it tested it is fine replaced grounds and found that if i hold the fuel solenoid in by hand i can start it and it runs fine even after i let go of the solenoid it stays in. So i got a new one but still same problem if you are looking at the solenoid when i try to start it as soon as the solenoid fully opens the fuse blows.
I have the early style according the book i have 12.5 Kohler with yammar engine.

John wheeler 86 pt38
Hanford,CA
Old 05-18-2011
Gardner

John.
It still may be starter solenoid. I had exacticaly the same problem. The internal contacts are worn and the larger contact isn't making a good contact. That results in the starter trying to draw current through the S terminal, and that blows the fuse.

I did a write up, I will see if i can find it. Here are a couple of pics. I rotated the contact 180 degrees to provide a fresh contact surface for the solenoid washer. I also reversed the washer to provide a clean surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearCoverOff.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	10374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotated contact.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	10375  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 05-18-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2011

Gardner,
I thought the same thing but if reach in and push the plunger in on the fuel solenoid and hold it. I can reach back with my other hand push the start switch and it starts just fine.

John wheeler 86 pt38
Hanford,CA
Old 05-19-2011
Forum owner

Gardner is right.holding the plunger intakes the load off the starter solenoid and the fuse.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-29-2011

Update i had the starter rebuilt, and it made no difference,still blowing the fuse . I did find that if i unplugged the four pin wiring harness from the control box,i could crank the generator up but would not stay running. So i replaced the regulator, now the generator starts but wont stay running and does not blow the fuse. From what i can see looking at the wiring diagram there is a relay made by guardian electric "A410-3666186-151" that takes 120 ac signal to activate a 12 volt relay. That keeps fuel solenoid open.This relay is a 12 pin so I'm not sure how to test it and i have had no luck locating it on the great world wide web.

John wheeler 86 pt38
Hanford,CA
Old 05-30-2011

John,

There is another fuse (8 amp) under the generator cover just a above the regulator.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 05-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by john wheeler View Post
Update i had the starter rebuilt, and it made no difference,still blowing the fuse . I did find that if i unplugged the four pin wiring harness from the control box,i could crank the generator up but would not stay running. So i replaced the regulator, now the generator starts but wont stay running and does not blow the fuse. From what i can see looking at the wiring diagram there is a relay made by guardian electric "A410-3666186-151" that takes 120 ac signal to activate a 12 volt relay. That keeps fuel solenoid open.This relay is a 12 pin so I'm not sure how to test it and i have had no luck locating it on the great world wide web.
John,
If you hold the fuel solenoid in, will the generator stay running? If so when you do that are you getting 120 VAC and is the cooling fan running?
Westchester Sandblast
Old 05-30-2011
Forum owner

Most rebuild shops never look at the starter solenoid,if it works it works,so they assume.
Not saying thats still your problem,just saying that it could still be a problem.
On that 12 pin relay,i have seen a wire come off one of the pins,check all the wires.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-30-2011
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john wheeler View Post
Hi John,

Are you sure it’s not just an 11 pin relay? (9 pins for 3 sets of double throw contacts and 2 pins for the coil?)

Maybe something like a Potter/Brumfield KUP 14A55 120V

or this Grainger Omron Relay?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/OMRON-Square-Base-General-Purpose-Relay-5ZH85?Pid=search
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 05-30-2011

Bill
I removed the back cover to look but i cannot find any fuse? Is there a picture of it on the forum

Tom
yes it does run and no (never noticed till now) it is not producing power? i did just install a new regulator

Randy
there is a new solenoid on the starter, i removed the whole control box so i could bench it to have a better look i even tested all the Bosch 5 pin relays which seemed fine. When running i tested the red lead on the fuel solenoid (holding power) and there is no power.

John wheeler 86 pt38
Hanford,CA