Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 10-04-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default PowerTech Fuel Pump problem?

I suspect that I may have a weak electric fuel pump on my Powertech generator that we installed a few years ago on my '82FC35RB 'Bird Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators > Finn's Transplant (Powertech Generator), as the two days ago the generator slowed to a stop as if it were running out of fuel, the tank had 1/2 level of fuel in it, this happened three separate times but would start up again with no effort and then run for about 30 minutes before doing it again. I checked with a temp gun to see if it was overheating (the guages do not work) and the coolant and oil levels and they were OK, I also checked for loose wires and primed the pump to see it if was receiving constant power and that was OK, I will change the fuel filter today.

Yesterday after I filled with fuel, the generator ran for hours without having the same problem, but I'm ordering a spare fuel pump from Powertech to have on hand just in case.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-04-2011

Is it anything like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

I am ordering one of these, to add inline closer to the fuel tank in my coach, to add a little more fuel pressure feeding my Gen & Aqua hot.

I already asked the seller how it works, he says I can leave this pump on, and once it makes enough pressure in the lines, it shuts off (like our water pumps)

I believe my gen is dying/stopping because it's having a hard time getting fuel from 20' away, with some bends along the way...

Maybe this can work for you too? it's cheap!!
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-04-2011
Grand Curmudgeon

John,

With the PowerTech, you need to make sure the bleed screw is backed off about 1/4 turn from full off which allows less resistance to the weak fuel pump used with the PowerTech. This is an undocumented "feature" which was explained to me years ago by PowerTech folks and has worked well for me.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 10-04-2011

This one has worked good for me. Replaced about three yrs ago..so far so good. Cant remember the specs off hand.

Old 10-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
This one has worked good for me. Replaced about three yrs ago..so far so good. Cant remember the specs off hand.

Powertech offers a direct replacement for just a little less and with free shipping on Internet orders right now.

12 Volt Fuel Pump

$68.40

12 volt electric fuel pump. This pump is currently the replacment for all of Power Tech's generators.
PT# 08PE7061

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
John,

With the PowerTech, you need to make sure the bleed screw is backed off about 1/4 turn from full off which allows less resistance to the weak fuel pump used with the PowerTech. This is an undocumented "feature" which was explained to me years ago by PowerTech folks and has worked well for me.

I was pretty sure that was already adjusted correctly as Randy pointed that out to me when I was at his place earlier in this trip, but I checked it again and set it just to make sure.

I have used the generator before with less fuel in the tank with no problems.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-03-2011

In order to take some of the fuel supply load off of the electric fuel pump on the Powertech/Kubota generator in my 'Bird, I want to install twin electric fuel pumps, each pump draws 1.5 amps @ 12 volts under full load, has anybody got any suggestions or pitfalls that I may run into by doing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TWIN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	13165  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AIRTEX FUEL PUMPS.pdf (151.3 KB, 301 views)

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-03-2011
Grand Curmudgeon

John with the correct fuel pump, that is working to specs, you don't need dual pumps, especially as easy as it is to change them. IMHO, 2 pumps=2 headaches.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 11-03-2011

The only thing I can come up with is possibly not enough usage when using 2?? Might be better to just carry the spare, as Paul has suggested.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-14-2011

Thanks for the opinions but I ended up installing them anyway and I will see if it was a mistake down the road, but I like the idea. I still have another new spare electric pump just in case. The new design pump from Powertech took some different fittings to get it to work in the space where we ended up putting it when we performed the transplant in my 'Bird, so now I have added the new fittings to the spare pump also and it will be a easy switch. According to the manufacturer/supplier Airtex in Fairfield, Illinois they will each carry similar loads at designed pressure and volume and shouldn't be a problem, the excess fuel will just be returned to the tank, there is only a slight volume increase at the same pressure when the 2 pumps are in parallel, if they were in series according to them that would increase the pressure some, so they recommended that they be installed this way.

The addition of a TYCO relay now assures a full 12 volts to each pump and now the voltage going through the low oil pressure switch is only used to trigger the relay. I now also use the CAT 3208 electric fuel pump so that the fuel supply comes from the engines return line even when the CAT engine isn't runing.

I'm testing the generator using all 3 air conditioners as it is 75 degrees here today both with and without the CAT running as the fuel supply for my application comes from the fuel return line coming from the CAT and going to the fuel tank, when the engine isn't running it draws fuel from that same return line, just in the opposite direction that seems strange but it has worked this way since I have owned it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TWIN FUEL PUMPS FOR THE POWERTECH GENERATORm.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	13783   Click image for larger version

Name:	THREE ELEC. FUEL PUMPS WIRING.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	16348  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11