Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 10-29-2011

Default More FT questions

DW and I have been talking recently about some of the places we would like to visit when we are retired, and one place on the list is the Tetons in the winter. We don't want to spend a lot of time there then, but a few days would probably do us. We realize that winter there covers a fairly long time period, so we would be able to escape to warmer temperatures fairly quickly.

We understand about the several methods available to keep the inside of the coach warm, but what about the fuel and water tanks on older coaches? We're probably looking at coaches from 1985-95 era.

Along the same lines, how well insulated is a Wanderlodge of that era?
Build number 4371
Old 10-29-2011

Very well insulated. The heaters will keep most everything flowing fine. Make sure you head north with just enough fuel to get most of the way there and then fill up with the winter blended fuel once you're far enough north. That will prevent fuel issues. Most fill water and disconnect so the fill hose doesn't freeze. They'll also only hook up to dump when actually ready to dump.

Should be a neat time!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-29-2011

Thanks, John. You bring up an interesting point about the winter fuel blends. My thought is that each travel day, when we are about to land for the night, I would top off the fuel tanks. Is this not a good idea?
Build number 4371
Old 10-29-2011

I think I would want the northern blend fuel before I'd want full tanks. Rich Hogan bought his bird in Arizona and drove it north last winter (I think). Had pretty severe fuel gelling issues with that Arizona diesel. While you might get some trace condensation overnight in a partially full tank, I doubt it's enough to worry about. The Racor should separate out most of it in any case.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-29-2011

I believe there is a heater in the Racor filter and you could use diesel fuel additives. Some of the older coaches have heaters on the holding tanks. Fresh water tank is inside under the bed.
Old 10-30-2011

David, although our coaches are very well insulated, they are not designed for travel on snow-covered roads. I've pushed this condition to it's limits with ours and found that you have almost no control over the rear end when it starts to slide. Chains can not be readily applied to your wheels due to very tight clearances inside the wheel well. Finally, road salt will get up inside the frame and cavities under the coach and really trash the metal, fasteners and other hardware. If you were entering Jackson Hole and the Teton's from just about anywhere, you'd have to cross summits around 8K ft and they are almost all going to be snow-covered in the winter months. Following the Snake River from Idaho Falls is about the only way to get in there without having to cross any mountain ranges. As to freeze issues, the shower drain is fully exposed in my drive axle wheel well and will freeze solid without the use of heat tape or antifreeze in the shower drain. The holding tanks will be OK so long as you use a strong brine solution to keep them loose and slushy. Finally, you will need more heat tape for the holding tank drain valves and pipe assemblies to allow them to function when needed. If you were to just use bottled water and the bathhouses at the campground, you'd be fine as long as the coach was winterized. It will stay warm inside with the use of the electric space heaters or propane heaters and you'll be comfortable down to around -20. The windows are not thermopane, so they will get frosted up and generate alot of cold air unless you cover them with thin sheets of insulation board. Of course, then you have a dark coach all day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walmart24.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	13082   Click image for larger version

Name:	greenville1.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	13083   Click image for larger version

Name:	greenville2.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	13084  

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912

Last edited by sfedeli; 10-30-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2011

Dang Shane - you got it all dirty! Gladly take your word for it that taking the Bird out in snow and ice is not a good idea for lots-o-reasons.
Old 10-30-2011

Thanks, everyone. I've asked this question about the Tetons on several brand-specific forums, and so far no one has said that this is easily doable. IF we still decide to try this some day, it will probably be early or late winter, and maybe we'll just get fairly close with the coach and take the other vehicle in and stay in a hotel.
Build number 4371
Old 10-30-2011
Gardner

David,
As we passed through the Tetons this September, the campgrounds were closing up. We visited several of them in the car just to check them out. I think that in winter you will have difficulty finding a place to camp in the bird, even at the side of the road. I think I would park the bird and take the car into the Tetons. A nice warm cabin or other accomodation and no worries about freezing plumbing or sliding off the road would make for a much more enjoyable trip. The Tetons are so majestic, I think a winter visit would be something realy great, but not in the coach.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-30-2011

Leave the coach in a safe area such as SPI and check-in at one of Jackson's fine hotels. Be sure to visit the Mangy Moose Saloon and Restaurant and while at the bar look up the ski slopes and check for "sucker holes".

http://www.mangymoose.net/
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401