Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 03-04-2012

Default RV show

So this weekend the local convention center was holding the Boat and RV show, in adjacent buildings. As we were looking for ideas to help us finalize the remodel of the interior of our Bird, we decided to go. Quite crowded which surprised me, for starters. Then we got in and started looking around. I was reminded of the cheaper quality of these newer coaches as I walked in and out of them, many creaking, moving, groaning, etc. Yes, they have flat screens, ceiling fans, LED lights, outside kitchens and TVs and all kinds of fancy looking features. Basements, lofts, faux fireplaces, etc. Even my wife said "this is disappointing. I want to see our bus again, I miss it. Makes you appreciate what we have". Amen!
VB 1570
Old 03-04-2012

I agree Markus! I went to a show in Mississippi a couple of weeks ago and saw the same thing. I've owned several other brands over the years and never realized the difference until I bought our bird. It's hard to speak of the two in the same breath. Also....out of all the coaches they had there, only two sold according to one of the salesman. Hundreds of lookers ... but no buyers ...wonder why? economy, fuel, the cost of them ....
Old 03-04-2012

We just got back from the Springfield show. Far more vehicles in the parking lot than previous years, and we saw a couple of coaches with SOLD signs on them and two more deals were going.

Unfortunately, most of what was there was not worth dragging home. With the exception of the two Mobile Suites and the two Class C coaches, most of the rest were under $40,000.

An older 'Bird is looking better all the time.
Build number 4371
Old 03-05-2012

At the show I went to there were actually several sold. I did notice that there were hardly any Class A's there at all. Most were towables, the driveables that were there were conversions, Class B's and some Class C's. A handful of Class A's and that was it.

One thing I did notice (unfortunately) was how many of them had the "wood" floors in them, similar to what I am going to install in mine soon. Almost made me want to choose something different but I already have all the parts ready to go. Not much carpeting to be found anymore except for in the bedrooms.
VB 1570
Old 03-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
At the show I went to there were actually several sold. I did notice that there were hardly any Class A's there at all. Most were towables, the driveables that were there were conversions, Class B's and some Class C's. A handful of Class A's and that was it.

One thing I did notice (unfortunately) was how many of them had the "wood" floors in them, similar to what I am going to install in mine soon. Almost made me want to choose something different but I already have all the parts ready to go. Not much carpeting to be found anymore except for in the bedrooms.
The difference between your coach & the RVs at the show is what is under your bird's floor. The floors in most of the SOB's I've been in seem to have been constructed by the same folks that make ping pong tables.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 03-05-2012

Buddy of mine has a late model SOB with 4 slides. All glitz and no substance. He will have it at the factory for around 6-8 weeks this spring because one of the slides (the largest one, the kitchen slide) has totally destroyed the veneer flooring he has. Something out of whack and the process of the kitchen sliding in and out has carved a significant groove through the flooring. The refrigerator, cooktop/oven, and sink all slide out. I would be very nervous about the gas line flexing every time he opens that slide. He has a ton of room with all of the slides open, not much stability, though.
Maybe I am old-fashioned, but I like the solid feel and substance of a Bird-even without all the glitz.
Old 03-05-2012
prone to wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTarrier View Post
Buddy of mine has a late model SOB with 4 slides. All glitz and no substance. He will have it at the factory for around 6-8 weeks this spring because one of the slides (the largest one, the kitchen slide) has totally destroyed the veneer flooring he has. Something out of whack and the process of the kitchen sliding in and out has carved a significant groove through the flooring. The refrigerator, cooktop/oven, and sink all slide out. I would be very nervous about the gas line flexing every time he opens that slide. He has a ton of room with all of the slides open, not much stability, though.
Maybe I am old-fashioned, but I like the solid feel and substance of a Bird-even without all the glitz.
Bill, I had concerns about the Kitchen/Living room slide on Bluebirds for the same reasons that you state. While the refrigerator does not slide in a Bird, the rest of it certainly does. After talking to people that have them, Randy included, it seems with Bluebird, that there are no issues with these slides, moving gas and water lines etc. I was a little surprised to hear it but maybe not so much.
The other issues you mention with SOB slides, no surprise there. I have a friend with a 4 slide coach and while there is a ton of room in it while all slides are open, there is very little inside storage and even less aisle room in the coach with the slides closed.
Jim
jimdoel@me.com
Old 03-05-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
Markus,

I think you're doing the right thing. Wood floors are very much in style right now, and they're timeless. The difference now is the wide array of high quality engineered wood floors available. All the high-end converters, Marathon, Liberty, etc are using them. The other thing that's made them suddenly very appealing is the wide planks that are now available. It'll look great!

I agree with the others about the kitchen slides. Just my preference, but I like the lack of articulating plumbing in my dinette slide. Folks don't seem to be having problems in their slide-equipped BB's.
Old 03-05-2012
Gardner

I too attended a recent RV show. The report is the same. I looked at a couple of class A's, don't remember the brand. Two slides, gas engine, juice brakes all for $125k. I just have to believe some corners may have been cut to get it down to that price. But hey, if you only go out two or three weeks a year or just tailgate at local sports venues, it might be the right choice.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-05-2012
Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
But hey, if you only go out two or three weeks a year or just tailgate at local sports venues, it might be the right choice.
Gardner, this thought, I believe, is worthy of expansion. About 10 years ago, DFW (dear former wife) and I owned a 38' Dutch Star by Newmar. At the time we were a family of 6, and the Newmar was possibly even over-kill for the way we used it. (Long weekends, tailgating, single week vacations).
For that purpose it was adequate.

Now, however, I am about to embark on a whole new chapter of my life. I will be living 24/7 (except for when in for repair) in my motorhome. It will be truly my HOME with a motor. The Newmar, in my mind, was never intended or designed to be used like that. (Some sales person may have said otherwise, but they were trying to make a sale, not covey usable information).

So while there are some fairly shoddy units for sale, keep in mind that they were designed, built and intended to spend 95% of their useful life under a cover along side some garage somewhere in suburbia.

I would never attempt to use a D9-Catapillar tractor to till my back yard garden, but it would be equally foolish to try and till 40 or 80 acres of farmland with my Mantis 2-tine tiller.

As Blue Bird owners, (and wannabes) we have just done a better job of matching the motorhome to the mission.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com