Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > How To Protect Your RV Investment.

How To Protect Your RV Investment. This forum is set up to discuss insurance needs, terminology & where to go to get the best possible coverage for your needs. From time to time we will discuss the issues and differences in insurance coverage. When would an appraisal be in your best interest & how often should you have an appraisal and where one could obtain a certified appraisal.

Site Search:

Old 03-17-2012

Default Insurance

Who insures your Wanderlodge?
Do you share your info??? Cost?
Do you have a stated value?
Deductible?

Roadside assistance?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipline View Post
Deductible?

Roadside assistance?

Thanks
Definitely shop insurance. Premiums all over the place like horse dung. I got quotes this year varying as much as $1200 for the same coverage. I think specialty RV insurers are your best bet. I have a stated value policy.
Coach Net or Good Sam's is the only way to go with roadside assistance. Most others are not familiar with the HD requirements of a Bluebird.
Randy is the man when it comes to finding the right Bird
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 03-18-2012
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipline View Post
Deductible?

Roadside assistance?

Thanks
You are in the right area for the answers to your questions. Go to the bottom of this page and there are several links to past questions on insurance. In this section of the forum "How to Protect Your RV Investment" there are several threads on the subject as well. Also on the blue tool bar above the Search option can save you time in future searches for info. Welcome aboard and good luck in finding the right bird for your family's needs.

I will touch on one of your questions. Stated value in the insurance industry for most part is this. 'I bought a bus today for $100K and I need to get it insured.' Your insurance agent writes you a policy and you pay premiums for that “Stated Value”. When it comes time file a total loss claim you get paid on the book value which could be several thousand less. What you really wanted was an “Agreed Value Policy” meaning you pay premiums for an agreed value and when time comes to pay on a total loss claim you get the value you insured the bus for initially, less deductibles. There are several postings in this section of the forum touching on this topic. I believe KC meant to say he had an "Agreed Value Policy". There is a big difference. If I can help you send me a message.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Last edited by birds_first; 03-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2012

John,
Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't your policy state Agreed Value along with an actual numerical number, ie $50,000, $100,000 and so on. Whatever value you "agreed" to at the time you purchased the policy? At leat that is what my policy does. I would think with the way things can get twisted, if you don't have the actual dollars in black and white they will try to give you less for it than what you think they should give you.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-18-2012
Former Bird Owner

During the time I owned my 'bird I had 3 insurance carriers. All had specialty RV policies. Do not cover the coach with an "automotive' policy as it won't provide much protection for the contents and "house" systems. The first policy was expensive because I was a "first time" RV owner. I was not able to find the payment record to see who it was place with.

The 2nd year, I had a policy issued by Progressive.

The 3rd (and successive) years I got smart, and used an insurance broker associated with FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assn.) That was "National Interstate Ins. Co." It was a good policy and had the lowest rates.

Note that not all insurance carriers are available in all states. So your choice may depend on the state you're located in.

With the RoadTrek, I have a policy purchased in connection with my Northern California AAA. I have my auto policies and homeowners with NCAAA. I was (mildly) surprised that they did not write the RV policy themselves, but brokered the policy to American Modern Home Insurance Company.

When time for policy renewal comes up. I'll shop the coverage against the FMCA broker to see if I can get a better deal.

The coverage cost between $900 to $1200 per year for the 'bird, depending on the year of ownership and other details surrounding the coverage.

I originally registered my coach through a family corporation in Montana (as I planned to full-time), when that fell through I re-registered the coach in California directly in my own name. I had expected the insurance cost to increase (as a lot of things in CA are just more expensive than elsewhere) -- but oddly it significantly became less expensive (in part because I was in my 2nd year of RV ownership). The explanation was that Montana registrations "often mean more travel by full-timers" while the CA registration "was more likely not used as much" -- even though I provided exactly the same use profile for both years. (Go figure.)

When I purchased the RoadTrek, I called my NCAAA agent as I had assumed I'd add it to my auto policy (where I'd get a multi-car discount), but was informed that they had to give RV policies to an "affiliate." Since the quote was for $544 for the year, I took it without further shopping (I'd already bought the RV and wanted coverage on it without any ambiguity). I'll "shop" the policy at the next renewal. I note that this annual rate is slightly more than 1/2 the rate I pay for one of the two autos I have covered.

I have somewhat higher coverage limits than most may have -- but I also have deductibles of $1000 on most portions of the coverage (comprehensive has a lower deductible based on the standard policy limits).

Some of this is a little vague, as it's been many months since I sifted through the policies and memory may be sketchy.

As for Emergency Road Service, Either Good Sam ERS (extra after you have a Good Sam membership) or Coach Net. These are the ONLY choices for RVs. There are other options (e.g. most general RV policies either include (without specific extra charge) or offer and extra charge ERS coverage. BUT that kind of coverage does not provide any telephone assistance with a problem at the side of the road. You make your own arrangements then file a claim for reimbursement of expenses (subject to policy limits).

The REAL value of the GSERS or CoachNet is the assistance at the end of the phone. They find the suitable service provided in your area -- and then ensure that you receive the service you need. (BUT, watch out for "special deals" on tires. I overpaid for a replacement tire after a blowout by accepting the Good Sam "national price" on a replacement tire -- then there was a lot of back-and-forth with the service provider because they didn't understand that I'd pre-paid for the tire through G.S. ... (Eventually, it was resolved, but it was a hassle I could have done without.)

Currently my ERS is through Coach Net as the first year was paid by the RV Mfg as part of their warranty coverage. I have not needed to call for service. I will probably renew the Coach Net through FMCA (as there is a modest discount).

Previously, I had Good Sam ERS (with my 'Bird). I had 3 service calls -- 2 on one day (and it was a bad day). All were handled promptly (considering reasonable expectations) and satisfactorily. The longest wait was a couple hours for the tire blowout near the TX-LA state line just off I-10. There were multiple call-backs giving me status. It was a very busy day for the tire service and they took awhile to get a truck with the right-size tire on board to my location.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-18-2012
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
John,
Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't your policy state Agreed Value along with an actual numerical number, ie $50,000, $100,000 and so on. Whatever value you "agreed" to at the time you purchased the policy? At leat that is what my policy does. I would think with the way things can get twisted, if you don't have the actual dollars in black and white they will try to give you less for it than what you think they should give you.
Ditto there Jim, you are correct. Unless it is mentioned in Black & White it may be something other than what you expect. Your policy must actually state "Agreed Value" in the documents and if it don't then don't buy it. When making a new to you purchase you MAY be able to get an agree value coverage policy with a purchase agreement stating the actual purchase price of your new coach. If you do not have a written purchase agreement the insurance company may require a written appraisal for the value of the coach, that is where I come into play. Don't settle for anything less than a certified appraisal, an appraisal written to Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practices (USPAP). You should be able to find a vehicle or equipment appraiser in your area. If not give me a call or drop me a line.
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location

502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-18-2012
cmillsap

The market (NADA) value of the coach (model & year) that you intend to purchase or presently own compared to the purchase price (or your perceived value) of the coach should dictate whether you should pay extra for an “Agreed Value Policy” or just opt for a standard “Stated Value Policy” or “Replacement Cost Policy”

If the NADA Value is less than the amount that you believe your coach is worth, you should get an appraisal from a licensed appraiser (like John McGinnis) to support your perceived value of the coach. Use the official appraisal to negotiate the agreed value of your coach with your insurance company.

Nowadays, there are many Wanderlodges being sold for much less than their NADA value. So if you were fortunate enough to buy or will be purchasing a coach at less than it’s NADA stated value; an “Agreed Value Policy” is unnecessary until your coach’s market NADA value falls (over time) below what you paid for it.

The insurance co will not pay you more than you paid for the coach simply because the NADA value is higher. In essence, the price you paid actually becomes the agreed value of your coach no matter that NADA value is higher. The insurance company’s position will be: “the coach is only worth what you were willing to pay for it” and they will write you a check for the lesser of the two values.
Old 03-19-2012
RV Appraiser

Sorry Chuck but I can only agree with about 95% of what you expressed. If I read you correctly, your saying if a 100,000 coach was FREE the insurance would pay $0 or nothing in case of a loss. You stated they would only pay what you paid for the coach. I don't think that is a correct statement. I would think the insurance company would have to pay the amount of the agreed coverage, if it was a stated value policy you may get NADA or less, but if it was an Agreed Value Policy the insurance would pay the $100,000, less deductibles. That's how my policy reads at the time of my coverage.
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location

502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-19-2012
Administrator

Search NADA, Agreed Value, or Insurance, Lots of good info. on this Forum.
Or get an appraisal from McGinnis, use it to get Agreed Value coverage & piece of mind.
We use BlueSky, Appraisal may also help with a loan.

Last edited by Bill Pape; 03-19-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Keep your receipts for tire, batteries and any repairs and upgrades. I would hope the insurance company would recognize a buyer spending 10k on new tires and batteries.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com