Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-26-2008

Default Do Not Shift light?

Hi All...

We're on the way home now and decided to stop in Rapid City for the weekend, while turning into the RV park the "Do Not Shift" light came on the transmission selector panel.

I couldnt shift out of drive so pulled into our spot and parked. The manual says do a reset by turning off the engine and waiting 10 seconds. That reset the light and it seems to work now... At least I can shift from drive to reverse.

SO, should I ignore it for now and see if it happens again or start looking for a Allison repair place??

'87 PT40
8v92ta
Allison HTB741

Thanks, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 07-26-2008

One more thing, while checking into this I found out the 'check trans' light was burnt out. I replaced it with a LED so at least I'll know if that comes on!

Thanks, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Old 07-26-2008
Former Bird Owner

Look in your Allison manual and see if you have some way to read the codes. (I know the DDEC module will flash various lights to let you read the codes then look them up in the book.) If it's possible, it will give you a hint about what the problem might be.

Also, check the fluid level ... it might just be low.

If there isn't a way to read the codes, then a precautionary stop at an Allison service center is probably wise. As a car dealer service manager once told me: "These things have a way of getting worse." (The next day my car failed in the toll plaza of the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge.)

So the lesson I learned is to check out things when they're not a serious problem, as it may save you from a very annoying, inconvenient situation.

On the road at Tualatin, OR (Near Portland).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 07-26-2008
Forum owner

check the ground on the tranny,or,run a new ground from the tranny to a buss bar.
Randy 93wb

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-27-2008

Thanks for the input...

I checked and there are 3 Allison delears in Rapid City, I'll call Monday and see if one can see me on Tuesday as we head out.

As for the codes, I think those are annunciated on the 'check trans' light and that was burnt out. It works now so I'll keep an eye on it. Probably been on for the last 4000 miles :{

BTW, what does the check trans switch next to the light do??

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Old 07-30-2008

I decided to drive around a bit today before getting on the highway and see if the trans faulted again... Everything seemed OK so we took off west. After over 500mi its still working OK.

I'll keep an eye on it but for now it looks like an anonmoly...

I did score a manual for the trans on ebay so now I'll be able to see whats going on in there... :}

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Old 07-30-2008
Former Bird Owner

It's always possible that it's an anomaly. I've had the "check engine" light come on a couple of times (then immediately go out) ... and a check of the codes with a computer turned up a couple of low-voltage warnings that the technician described as "normal."

So, it could be nothing serious.

---
On the road at Tualatin, OR

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 07-30-2008

Ha,

Happened again...

Both times this happened after going down a pretty steep hill using the retarder and then stopping at the bottom. The fault lights came on after stopping. Temps where OK according to the gauges.

Again it reset, but this time I got the code from the led I put in.
The code is 2-2, or 2 flashes, short pause, 2 flashes, long pause, repeat. Anyone know what that means??

As luck would have it this happened after pulling into a rest stop in remote NV with no phones and no cell service on any of the 3 providers we have phones for so I couldnt call and see what the fault was.

I'll make an appointment at the trans place in Oakland and have them look at it.

Thanks, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Old 11-04-2008

AND yet again I got the dredded DNS light...
On the way to Death Valley while going through Wasco the Do Not Shift light came on.

Took about 20 minutes for it to reset.

I had the DD Allison dealer in Oakland, CA check it, but they didnt find anything so I hoped it was going to be OK, but I guess not.
Im now in the parking lot of the DD Allison dealer in Bakersfield, CA. waiting for them to open tomorrow.

If you recall, the error I got was a 22, or speed sensor fault. Im going to ask them to replace it if they have one, might drive to get one if they dont and its not too far, or if I cant get one have them order it and replace it next week on the way home...

Anyhow just thought Id let you know it faulted again... :{

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Old 11-05-2008

Joe,
Have you looked at the brake drum where the sensor is? One of the rallies I was at, a fellow with a PT was having cruise problems and found that the vanes on the brake drum were filled with road dirt, so the sensor couldn't accurately read the vehicle speed. Maybe that's what you're seeing???

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support