Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-20-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Shane was down yesterday and we had a party after doing some "procedures" on CowDoc's BMC. Shane's the man. Everything worked first try no problems. Never happens for the Heck Man.
What Procedures? Do you have pictures?
Old 01-20-2013

Zantrex inverter/charger hook up. Finally finished up what we started at the Hershey Rally. Tail light repairs (just loose dirty bulbs Heck Man actually did that one) and then Shane and CowDoc took the mirrors off the BMC to ship them back to remco to have motors replaced so that they can be functional with electronic adjustments.

NO PICTURES. Nothing interesting to show. We could have taken a couple pictures at the after party. I cooked. It was great fun and great food and SUPER friends. I had to think to my self how many days do I get to spend with three of my best buddies at one time. (I had another friend over who doesn't own a BB but needs to but never will) Took me 4 or 5 years to get the CowDoc into it and I don't have enough years left for what it would take to get Allen into a bus. Lots of reasons some of them legit but I know it would never happen.

Not to hijack Markus's thread.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-20-2013

So today I went back to drain some fluids. First I used my MityVac to extract the 10/30 oil from the hydraulic reservoir. Then I moved on to draining the coolant. I thought it would be fun to join the "coolant shower club". Didn't realize how fast coolant would shoot out, straight sideways, with the petcock open! I did not have the cap off the overflow tank so thought it would be a lighter flow. In trying to get the petcock back in to slow the flow, coolant went all down my arm and soaked my sweatshirt and shirt. Oh well, had another jacket along luckily, got changed, then scoured around the farm for something I could use. Found a 3 foot 4" PVC tube, held that under the petcock and then aimed it into the various tubs I had underneath. Who would have figured its hard to get a baby pool this time of year?!

Not too many pictures today, don't need to remember how I drained fluids or got myself wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0871a.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	19824  
VB 1570
Old 01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
...The plan is to do a lot.....take out radiator and send out, all hoses, belts, rebuild kits for hydraulic fan, water pump, fuel pump, replace those all valve handles with ball valves, scrape off what's left of the old insulation and replace with new, replace sensors, thermostats, gaskets, I'm sure I'm missing something. Lots of work, I know. Oh yeah and engine block heater!...
Hey Markus, Am still into the project -seems like one project leads to another once you get that rad out-makes access soo much easier! Might want to inspect the exhaust manifolds and maybe change out that metal gasket-lot easier access with the rad out on that side of engine. Pretty straight forward and the gasket with studs is cheap cost approx $20. Make sure to inspect the hoses coming off the hydraulic pump under the alternator-you'll never get easier access. If your kids are old enough scraping that old insulation off is a great job for them!-it's a messy job! It doesn't seem to bother them hanging upside down. Highly recommend Stephen's insulation product. Please take lot's of pics-esp on whatever you do to the fuel system. Have fun-it's great knowing what's been done has been done right and should last many years!
Kansas, Il
Old 01-28-2013

So today some of my fellow "Bird friends" stopped by to lend a hand. It was "taking out the radiator" day. Shane, Steve and his brother Pete, John P and one of his friends, my son and I tackled this today. Pictures will come later, have to get them off the camera. We first got the bottom brace out of the way, had to drill out one rivet, bend back another tab to access some bolts and that came out. Had to deal with a stubborn overflow hose from the overflow tank to top of radiator. Go figure, this one was a metal reinforced hose! Now why didn't they use something like that for the compressor coolant lines? We tried to hacksaw and cut through it, no luck. John P finally was able to get the barb fitting out and we got the radiator out. Found some evidence of a leak as well as some blockage, hope to show that in pictures. Loosened up the trans cooler, will take that out later this week. Took the fan and fan motor off. Evidence of leakage around fan shaft. Plenty of dirt and grime to clean off. Evidence of leakage around valve cover. Evidence of leakage around hydraulic pump where it attaches to front of engine (gasket there). Time to get it all fixed up now. Next step is to get that trans cooler completely out and off to the radiator guy along with the radiator. Then lots of cleaning to do, start labeling hoses, take pictures, draw diagrams, and start taking things apart. That will take some time for sure. Overall a good day, made easier by friends who have done this before and know what they are doing and willing to take an afternoon to lend a hand.
VB 1570
Old 01-28-2013

Pictures from yesterday.

So lets start with removing the lower body cross member/brace to help make room to get the radiator out. First drilling out the rivet, then bending the tab and removing the other bolts, then its outta there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0075a.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	19921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0076a.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	19922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0077a.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	19923   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0079a.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	19924  
VB 1570
Old 01-28-2013

Next we removed the hydraulic oil radiator/cooler hoses and the unit itself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0080a.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	19925   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0081a.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	19926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0082a.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	19927  
VB 1570
Old 01-28-2013

Then it was time to get out the radiator and the fan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0083a.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	19928   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0112a.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	19929   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0113a.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	19930   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0114a.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	19931  
VB 1570
Old 01-28-2013
Forum owner

i see the engine data plate on the valve cover,i take it off the cover and keep it in my blue box.
That way if you need to see engine data you can read the plate.
Just sayin..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
i see the engine data plate on the valve cover,i take it off the cover and keep it in my blue box.
That way if you need to see engine data you can read the plate.
Just sayin..
Great idea Randy! I had read posts about swapping the plates over to the other valve cover, or maybe even just swapping valve covers (didn't look yet to see if they are identical or not) but your idea is even better, and easier. Its on the list....

Thanks.
VB 1570