Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 05-12-2013

Default Happy Mother's Day

I just wanted to say Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. I can't say that to my mom anymore. We buried her yesterday. She was 93 yrs. old so it was her time. It was quick also, which was important. She was in pretty good shape until Monday, when she woke up with some severe pain. My brother ended up calling an ambulance for her and then called me. I told him I would be on the way. I got there a few hours later but not until after she was doped up enough that she was unconscious. She apparently had a kidney stone that backed up her urine into the kidney and got it infected, which ended up in her blood stream. They did emergency surgery at about 10 p.m. on Monday to get the stone out and put in a catheter between the kidney and bladder. But within a little over 24 hrs. she was gone. She was an amazing woman but of course I'm a little prejudiced.

Mom was born in Germany in 1920 and her mother died when she was 4 an her father when she was 8. She was raised by a sister and an aunt. Both of which used her as a servant. This ended up being what turned her into the workaholic that she was. She never quit working. The last time I saw mom was when a friend of mine and I took a ride on our Harleys and we stopped by to see her. Here she was 93 years old, outside in her flower garden, on her knees, digging. My buddy Larry said does she do that often and I said all the time. She could never sit still. She didn't weigh 90 lbs. when she died and never weighed more than 105 lbs. at any time in her life. She was barely 5 ft. tall. The funeral director said that he had never seen "such strong hands" on any woman. Her physical strength was only matched by her inner strength.

I thank my mom for giving me that strength. I like to think she passed it along to me. She married my biological father before the war and they had a daughter. Mom said that she was "bombed out" about a dozen times during the war and she had to somehow survive and take care of her daughter while dodging bombs. My sister died and mom somehow survived. My biological father, who was captured by the Russians, was released after the war and was all but dead. Mom was told he would not survive but he wanted another child and she couldn't say no. He died right after I was born and again mom was left alone with another child to take care of. We lived in a bombed out building for the first 6 years of my life. No running water, no bathroom. I recall we had one room with a stove and my bed was next to the stove so I could stay warm. She divided the room with a sheet and her bed area was probably cold as blazes. One of my favorite treats was to get a loaf of "black bread" and cover it with bacon grease then sprinkle salt on it. I can still taste it more than 60 years later.

Mom got a job at a beer garden. I was probably about four. I think some neighbors watched over me but not like a baby sitter. They just checked on me occasionally. We lived in a pretty small town and most everybody knew me. I recall getting on the horse drawn beer wagon going up to the beer garden, when it passed our home. The driver would pick me up and take me to see mom at work. Then the horse drawn ice wagon would take me back home. On the way home the driver would take his icepick and chunk off a piece for me to suck on, on hot days. God I was happy! But I didn't realize that I would be even happier.

Mom met a GI who was with the American Occupational Forces in Butzbach. It was love at first sight. I think he kind of liked me too. I know I adored him! He wanted to marry mom. She said she would under one condition. That he go home tell his family and "take care of any loose ends" he might have. So, he left Germany in early 1951 and came back before the year was over. His mother and father sent him back and sent him money every month to live on, because there weren't any jobs for Germans let alone for American civilians. Mom and dad got married on Sept. 6th 1952. I have a photo of the wedding and I was standing there. Proud as any human being was entitled to be. Then dad started adoption proceedings for me. He had to wait another year to get it finalized. So he waited and on August 14th 1953 we arrived in Dublin, IN. I can vividly recall the faces of those that greeted us at Grandpa and Grandma's house. Grandpa and Grandma of course, Great Grandma Hall, Uncle Harry and Aunt Lucile, Aunt Nancy, Great Aunt Inez and Great Uncle Everett. I couldn't understand one word they said but the look of love in their faces said all that a 6 year old boy needed to know. I started school two weeks later not knowing any English. Mom and Dad wanted to hold be back a year but the teacher, Francis Gollier, said no and that she would help me get by. And she did just that. By the time the second grade started I went to a different school a couple of miles away, when mom and dad got their own house, and the teacher had no idea that I was German.

Mom not only loved me but she loved my dad and my grandparents more than any human being could possibly imagine. She knew the debt of gratitude she owed them, especially. She would clean grandma's house every week. Grandma would try to get her to stop and told her she didn't have to do that but mom insisted. She was so grateful she just had to do it. This went on until grandma died in 1982. Mom would work at home to take care of dad, and my brother (who was born in 1955), and myself, then she would work cleaning other peoples homes and some offices, then she would go to grandma's and clean that too. After grandma and grandpa died I know she missed them more than her own mother and father, because they were the only parents she ever really knew.

Then dad passed away in 1996. Mom was devastated. I don't know how many times she said she wished she could die and be with dad. She finally got her wish. A well deserved rest, in the arms of the one she loved so very much, again. God bless both of you, but especially you mom and Happy Mother's Day.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 05-12-2013

Thank You Jim for sharing your love for your Mother with us. She must have been a splendid lady.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-12-2013
Forum owner

Man.
I'm speechless.
Thats an incredible story,of an incredible women.
Thanks for sharing.
I hope she finds your dad..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-12-2013

Jim, Dawn and I send our condolences. We were lucky enough to be able to visit with my parents today, but you never know at that age if that might be the last time you get to visit. Look forward to seeing you this summer.
F110660
Old 05-12-2013

Emma and I send our condolences. I wish I could say more but ...............
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 05-12-2013

Jim, A great story of a mothers love , devotion, perservence and appreciation of the help offered by others. May we all take time to reflect and remember. God bless you and your family and may we all meet on the other side. Your story brought tears to my eyes.
1983 PT 35 (sold)
2011 Honda CRV Toad
Ed, Nina and Abbi
Old 05-12-2013

An exceptional story. Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-12-2013
95 WB 42

Jim

Thats a very heart warming testimonial.
Cannot see to type anymore.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 05-13-2013

Sorry for your loss Jim, and thank you for sharing your moms story.
Old 05-13-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

All I can say is thank you Jim, you had a remarkable Mother indeed and it helped me recall some memories of my Mom's love too.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11