Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 10-10-2013
GregBryantSr's Avatar
GregBryantSr GregBryantSr is offline
Tired and now Retired!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Default

Jim,
Here is a thread that John Flynn posted that has a lot of info and links about the gen.
What I am going to do is the "relay bypass cure" he mentions in the article.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=2617
__________________
Greg Bryant
2018 Roadtrek CS Adventurous (B-Hemoth)
Green Cove Springs, FL.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2013
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is offline
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port St Joe,Fl
Posts: 35,860
Default

Jim,on the drivers side of the engine theres a switch under the starter,its an oil pressure switch that runs the fuel pump.
Jump that switch with a wire and see if you can hear or feel the fuel pump click/run.
I use that switch to fill my filters when i change them by jumping it out.
I had that switch go bad before as well.

Also,there may be a low coolant switch in the curb side of the coolant tank on the front of the engine,i have had them go bad as well,jump it out and see if it will run.
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-2013
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,874
Default

Jim,
I have no real experience with the Kabota, just a basic understanding that all a diesel needs is fuel and air to run. The only electrical need is to hold the fuel solenoid open...

I don't know anything about the ECU (engine/electrical control unit or whatever they call it) so if it turns out the solenoid is not opening I can't help much. Perhaps there is someone who will be at WOG who has more experience? The old Kohler/Perkins was all mechanical using relays so I could dope it out.
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-10-2013
NealinNevada's Avatar
NealinNevada NealinNevada is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sea of Sage, NV
Posts: 1,126
Default

Jim, make sure that the pump is well grounded...the bolts that hold it to the Kubota are the ground. I had a tractor once that the fuel pump ground got sketchy (it would make and break randomly) and it drove me nuts for awhile. The symptoms you are having were much like I experienced.
__________________
Neal

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-10-2013
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
Jim,
Here is a thread that John Flynn posted that has a lot of info and links about the gen.
What I am going to do is the "relay bypass cure" he mentions in the article.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=2617
Thanks Greg. I have gone over that pretty well already. I have been thinking about your situation. You have been messing around the front driver's area a lot lately. That's what I was doing at Shenandoah Park a couple of years ago and my genie quit. When I got home I figured out it was the fuel pressure relay in the control box. Check out this link
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=10726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Jim,on the drivers side of the engine theres a switch under the starter,its an oil pressure switch that runs the fuel pump.
Jump that switch with a wire and see if you can hear or feel the fuel pump click/run.
I use that switch to fill my filters when i change them by jumping it out.
I had that switch go bad before as well.

Also,there may be a low coolant switch in the curb side of the coolant tank on the front of the engine,i have had them go bad as well,jump it out and see if it will run.
Randy, thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'm up to the task. When you start talking about taking wires and "jumping" I don't really have a clue. This 12 volt **** is more than I can get my mind around. I know it has to sound so stupid to somebody like you and most others that mess with this stuff, but I don't seem to get it. I messed with my old back up monitor switch a couple of years ago and sparks started flying and the next thing I know the generator quit working. I finally figured out I fried the fuel pressure relay in the control box. But the thing is when I mess with 12v stuff sparks always fly. The passenger seat on the coach didn't operate. I found a wire underneath that was loose. The next thing I know sparks were flying all over the place and so I just wrapped electrical tape around it and left it alone. So I'm pretty gun shy, when it comes to that stuff.
I will look at those things tomorrow, because I put the coach up for the night and I can't get to the genie unless I back it out of the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Jim,
I have no real experience with the Kabota, just a basic understanding that all a diesel needs is fuel and air to run. The only electrical need is to hold the fuel solenoid open...

I don't know anything about the ECU (engine/electrical control unit or whatever they call it) so if it turns out the solenoid is not opening I can't help much. Perhaps there is someone who will be at WOG who has more experience? The old Kohler/Perkins was all mechanical using relays so I could dope it out.
Thanks Gardner, Michele got home and the solenoid does go in when I hit the start button. She saw it go in when I hit it and release when I let go. So it must be getting power to work but I don't know if it works internally or not. I have been reading more stuff and of course I have an Automatic Start switch that throws a whole other set of circumstances into the mix. Not sure if there is something with that which is causing this problem. Bottom line it isn't going to keep me from going to Pine Mountain. I will stop at a campground on the way down for the night instead of doing the Wal-Mart thing.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-10-2013
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinNevada View Post
Jim, make sure that the pump is well grounded...the bolts that hold it to the Kubota are the ground. I had a tractor once that the ground got sketchy and it drove me nuts for awhile. The symptoms you are having were much like I experienced.
Thanks Neal, I will check that out tomorrow.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-10-2013
irmagoo's Avatar
irmagoo irmagoo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 2,569
Default

hi Jim
if all else fails we will use the collective brain trust at pine mountain to work on your generator !!!mike
__________________
mike mcgraugh
2003 LXI
"Blacktop Gyspy"
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-10-2013
GregBryantSr's Avatar
GregBryantSr GregBryantSr is offline
Tired and now Retired!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Default

Jim,
Thanks for the info on the fuel pressure relay.
I will check that as well.
Unfortunately, because I work I will not be able to check it till Saturday.
I may be coming to WOG 2013 without it working, but I am coming anyway!
The main thing I have to fix is the Fridge. I think it is the thermocouple.
But if it does not work, we will just empty the fridge and come.
See you there!!
__________________
Greg Bryant
2018 Roadtrek CS Adventurous (B-Hemoth)
Green Cove Springs, FL.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-10-2013
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
Jim,
Thanks for the info on the fuel pressure relay.
I will check that as well.
Unfortunately, because I work I will not be able to check it till Saturday.
I may be coming to WOG 2013 without it working, but I am coming anyway!
The main thing I have to fix is the Fridge. I think it is the thermocouple.
But if it does not work, we will just empty the fridge and come.
See you there!!
I take it that it works on 120v but not on gas? The thermocouple may only need to be moved a fraction of an inch further into the flame. John McGinnis gave me that info on mine and it works fine on gas now for a couple of years since I moved it. Try that to see if it works before you buy one or do anything that is going to cost you money.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-10-2013
GregBryantSr's Avatar
GregBryantSr GregBryantSr is offline
Tired and now Retired!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Default

Jim,
You are correct that it works on 120v and not on gas.
I will try moving it inwards tomorrow night!
You and the others on WOG that help are AWESOME!!
__________________
Greg Bryant
2018 Roadtrek CS Adventurous (B-Hemoth)
Green Cove Springs, FL.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.