Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 10-25-2013

Default need Help Understanding Outback Inv/charger

I have an Outback FX2012T with a Mate II remote and I need to talk to some one who can walk me through the operation and programing.

I by accident let the batteries get real low and I had problems with the charger staying on this morning. Talked to tech support and they said the trouble was due to input voltage being too low or the frequency of the voltage. This was the only thing they said which would shut the unit down. Ether that or a loose wire. I checked for loose wires and found nothing and I don't think that was the problem. I believe I have something programed wrong. I've never had problems before charging off the generator or the sure plug that I have at the house. I am puzzled.

So I need some help from some one who knows these units. I'll study up this evening and maybe tomorrow some one would call me and walk me down the path. Heck Man 717 816 1836

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-26-2013
Senior

frank I do not want to rain on your parade but is this a unit you found yourself or did someone advise you to buy this kind of inverter charger? It is designed specifically for off grid use and is far more complicated than what you need. I quickly downloaded the two manuals and they are quite complicated.
But as starters how far are the batteries from the charger-inverter and what size wire did you use from the batteries to it? Are you running the AC outputs from the inverter to a subpanel and what fauge wire are you using? Hope there is someone on WOG that is familiar with this installation. Good luck
PS You are the second person today that I have seen buy and attempt to install a inverter-charger designed for off grid use.
6V92
Old 10-26-2013

This inverter/charger is correctly installed and is used in RV and boat applications as well as off grid . My problem is due to its wider application the program and instructions ARE complex. If the company had written a RV specific manual it would be a slam dunk. Not a thing wrong with the car it's the driver can't understand the owners manual. And tech support doesn't know RV I had one tech that was helping but when I called back I couldn't get back with her. I just need some drivers lessons Tom lets NOT rain on the parade :-)

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-26-2013

Default An example

Here is an example of my issues in the manual it says.

The ac2/gen input limit is the maximum current the FX can draw from the generator. When this limit is reached the FX reduces its battery charging function to prevent overloading the the generator. If the generator exceeds this limit the FX will start blinking the red error led as a warning. This setting ranges from 2.0AAC to 30.0AAC.

I can set this and it may be related to my problems but I have searched for what AAC means in the application and I have no idea what value to use. My generator is a 12.5 KW

OK I guess it's ac amps. Seems like it should be ac-a. Then my calculation is the generator would produce at it's maximum about 140 amps?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 10-26-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2013

Id guess Amps AC. Would also guess its the rating of the breaker that supplies the charger. On my 93 its 20A.

Anything from 15 to 20 would probably work.

YMMV!!

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 10-26-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Here is an example of my issues in the manual it says.

The ac2/gen input limit is the maximum current the FX can draw from the generator. When this limit is reached the FX reduces its battery charging function to prevent overloading the the generator. If the generator exceeds this limit the FX will start blinking the red error led as a warning. This setting ranges from 2.0AAC to 30.0AAC.

I can set this and it may be related to my problems but I have searched for what AAC means in the application and I have no idea what value to use. My generator is a 12.5 KW

OK I guess it's ac amps. Seems like it should be ac-a. Then my calculation is the generator would produce at it's maximum about 140 amps?
John,
My bet is Amps Alternating Current. so all you are setting is the maximum current you want the unit to draw from the generator when charging. My Xantrex is set to 30 amps normally. It is on a 30 amp breaker in the power panel as well. It is a power management setting in case you are running other stuff that might exceed the generator capability. When I am on my Honda 2000 watt generator I lower my Xantrex to 5 or 10 amp max.

The 12.5 KW generator is 50 amps per side, so you have two 50 amp circuits. The max a single 110 volt unit can draw is 50 amps. The main panel breakers are 50 amp per side.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-26-2013

John,

I believe you are correct. AAC means AC amps. We have the same function on the xantrex. It allows you to select the input amps from 5 to 30. Since you are just using one leg of 120 volts, you would max out your generator at about 50 amps on each leg. That would be 6 KW on each leg or 12 KW total.
Old 10-26-2013

I think mine is set at 7 and that might be the problem. Problem developed when the batteries got real low I am going to rise it from 7 to 20. (And try not to let the batteries get discharged again)

I am guessing the charger was drawing too many amps with this setting at 7. Like I said if they had a little better RV friendly manual it would be a big help.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 10-26-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I think mine is set at 7 and that might be the problem. Problem developed when the batteries got real low I am going to rise it from 7 to 10. (And try not to let the batteries get discharged again)

I am guessing the charger was drawing too many amps with this setting at 7. Like I said if they had a little better RV friendly manual it would be a big help.
John,
Is the 7 and 10 number amps? Your charger will pull a lot of amps trying to charge low batteries. 20 to 30 would be a better setting. At 7 to 10 amps you will take a very long time to charge the batteries. Like Jim and I said, our chargers are set to 30 normally.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-26-2013

Ok well while this may or may not be the solution to my problem there is no reason to have the unit set at 7. I'll raise it to 20 and see what happens.

There is an RV forum at the Outback site but no one is talking. One message last year so no point going there.

Looks like I am leading the charge on this one. I think 7 is the factory default setting and that's too low when the batteries are down.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold