Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-11-2008
Donny Goodwin

Default Stainless Steel Cover For Light Bar

Does anyone have a source for the the Stainless Steel replacement
of the plastic light strip on the generator slide out. I have seen some 91 to 94
Bluebirds who replaced the plastic light cover with a piece of SS.

Thanks Donny Goodwin
Montgomery, AL
Old 11-12-2008

I'll second that request. I know of a 95 that has it done and it really looks pretty good!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 11-12-2008
Former Bird Owner

I'm afraid that I may have gotten one of the last ones. A fellow in the Lone Star Birds who lives in Seguin, TX made up a bunch of them. When I arrived at one of their rallies, I discovered that my plastic cover had fallen off (well, more likely blown off, as I had encountered some truly horrific winds enroute). After the rally, since I was going that way, I stopped by the guy's shop in Seguin and bought one of two he had left ... and that was about 18 months ago.

He'd done a run of 100 -- stainless, bent to the right shape and exactly the right length -- but he'd sold out and the last two had (very minor) visual flaws.

Perhaps someone not in midst of a senior moment may be able to remind me of the gentleman's name -- and perhaps he's since decided to run off another batch...

====
On the road at Lockhart, TX

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 11-12-2008
Forum owner

Billy Dawson is his name.
his website is the www.corvettecorrection.com
i don't know if he has anymore of the stainless sheet.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-12-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Thanks Donny, John, Pete and Randy,

After reading Randy's post on this I sent an Email to http://www.corvettecorrection.com/ to ask if they had them or plan to make any more. If they answer I'll post it here.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 11-13-2008

Billy used to have an insert for the filler necks for the tanks, to stop the dreaded BB Fuel Shower. They work well, not perfect but 95% better than without.

On a fast pump, full flow, it will shut off with just a bit of splash on the fuel pump handle , not at all if the pump is set on the first notch.

The first experience with the BB Fuel Shower I got covered head to toe. Second time it missed me but got the trucker next to me, He wasn't none to happy.

I bought two, one for each side of the coach.

I would like a SS cover for the Genny tray myself. I would like to engrave it.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 11-13-2008

Default Stainless Steel Light Cover

I'll take one if Billy decides to make more.
Old 11-13-2008
Former Bird Owner

Default Fuel back splash - solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpersbird View Post
[B][I][COLOR=navy][B][I][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080]Billy used to have an insert for the filler necks for the tanks, to stop the dreaded BB Fuel Shower. They work well, not perfect but 95% better than without.

[COLOR=navy]On a fast pump, full flow, it will shut off with just a bit of splash on the fuel pump handle , not at all if the pump is set on the first notch.
<snip>
I'll have to check with him on the fuel filler thing... I'd seen some designed for the 3" fillers on older 'Birds, but didn't know there was one out there for the 2" filler on the later year coaches.

Through experience I've learned to wrap a rag around the nozzle while fueling -- it stops the "burp" from going too far. (I also wear disposable vinyl gloves.) Often the rag is so soaked, I'll drop it in the nearby trash can instead of trying to reuse it...

Previously I read of a suggestion to use a "fuel collar" (often used with boats). I got a couple of these -- they're a kind of absorbent paper doughnut that you place around the filler nozzle. They work fairly well at controlling the back splash, but the copious amount of fuel that the BB filler pipe delivers tends to soak the doughnut rather completely. The suggestion was to store the (soaked) doughnut in a plastic bag for reuse ... but at $1 each, I soon just replicated the idea with a rag (salvaged from old terry cloth towels) so I could be comfortable with just throwing the soaked rag out and not have to deal with a fuel-soaked item that might represent a fire problem in the basement compartments -- and it eliminates the fuel-stink from permeating nearby items in the basement.

I've also discovered that the dread fuel burp can be reduced by holding the filler nozzle up, so that the fuel runs down the bottom of the filler pipe -- generally with the slower pump setting on the auto-shut-off. Admittedly, with a fairly empty tank, this can be somewhat fatiguing.

For whatever reason, the amount of foaming of the fuel as it enters the filler pipe significantly affects the amount of backsplash. Some stations appear to have much more foaming than others -- I've had (perhaps 10%) of my fill-ups have no significant backsplash, while at other stations, I can't get more than 10 gallons in without a "burp" and a shut off... I've been unable to correlate any conditions (time of day, temperature, etc.) to the foaming behavior, so that remains an "unknown" factor.

Earlier, when I was trying to find a solution, one remedy suggested was to get some white plastic pipe, large enough to accommodate the filler nozzle, but small enough to leave air space around it. Once you've shoved the pipe down the filler pipe, and have determined that it's well wedged into the tank, then you mark the length, pull out the pipe, and cut it to fit just inside the top of the filler pipe so that you can put the cap on. In addition, I would suggest drilling holes in the last 18 to 24" of the pipe in the tank so that fuel can exit without an algae and water stirring stream at the bottom of the pipe. The solution suggested using Schedule 20 pipe with an inside diameter of 1.5" so that there is plenty of room for venting fuel. Unfortunately, I've only been able to find Schedule 40 pipe that, in the 1.5" size is very nearly 2" in diameter, so it barely fits the 2" diameter filler pipe -- and that would defeat the idea -- in the newer coaches with the 2" filler but will work fine in the older coaches with the 3" filler. I suppose that this could be done with copper pipe (though more expensive). I've always meant to measure the actual outside diameter of the filler nozzles at the truck stop (they're larger than those at "normal" fuel dispensers) -- but I've never had my measuring tool in hand while doing a fill up....

Finally, I note that the slower pumps in the "RV" lanes at Flying J tend to have less splash back, due, if for no other reason, to the lower delivery speed. I rarely find the RV lanes easy to get into -- and the slower delivery makes the fill-up take a loooong time.

===
On the road at Lockhart, TX

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 11-13-2008
jcoop0001

I was concerned about Diesel and PVC compatibility and did a quick search.

Looks like it is ok with each other.

I was thinking about a short pipe that would be just long enough to reach just inside the top of the tank. That way you could have a vent at the top and not worring about stirring up whatever is at the bottom of the tank.

Just a simple pipe that could be inserted to fuel up then removed.

Just a thought?

Thx
Old 11-13-2008

I just spoke to Bill Dawson at http://www.corvettecorrection.com/

Seguin Speed Shop, Inc. 4570 Barbarossa Rd, Seguin, Texas 78155 e-mail:corvettecorrection@gvec.net
phone (830) 303-7496 mobile (830) 305-7496 fax(830) 401-4625
he has a few of the filler necks available, and can build more if needed and if you make an appointment he can make the SS light strip covers, but you need to bring him your coach to have it fitted.

He doesn't have any left on hand so he will need your old plastic unit for a model then for a good install will need to tweak it to get a good fit on your coach. He sold his PT and now has an LX or he could have used his old coach for the model.

I think if we had enough interest and someone is willing to send him their plastic lens cover he might consider a short production run.

He Pete if your in Lockhart, Seguin is only 37 miles away, maybe we could talk you into going over to Billy's place with your SS light cover, so he could copy it????

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC