Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 09-19-2014

Default Hydraulic fan motor

Yesterday I got the good news that the hydraulic fan motor in my 92 pusher was leaking and that I needed a new one. The research that I did on the WOG said that it might be a Webster model # 44970.33 which I am not sure of. Also very expensive so I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if this is the right motor and if it is, is there another motor out there which is less expensive?
Old 09-19-2014

Butch:

These are the people and the contact person who have the Webster line of hydraulic pumps/fans:

Clay Pettit
Inside Sales
Hydraulic & Pneumatic Sales, Inc.
11100 Park Charlotte Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28273
Phone: 704-588-3234
Fax: 704-588-1569
Email: cpettit@hpsalesinc.com

I'll see if I can find the number for my hydraulic fan motor that I replaced last summer.
Old 09-19-2014

Butch:

This is the part number for my hydraulic fan motor that I purchased last year.

Contact the person (Clay Pettit) I gave you and I think he can give you the cross indexed number for your motor.

Part Number 237KB1ARX-24R
Old 09-20-2014

Can't it have new seals put in it instead of replacing the whole motor?? I don't know your model year but when mine was leaking had it rebuilt by local shop. Was a Webster and only $225.
Kansas, Il
Old 09-20-2014
95 WB 42

Ed
Yes sometimes they can be rebuilt "IF" it's just a bad seal. There are gears inside that can wear along with side porting plates sometimes if the oil gets dirty it will wear these plates causing loss of power. No way to really tell until you crack it open.
Had this problem with a mower not the Bird thankfully.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 09-20-2014
Forum owner

the first thing i would do if i had a fan motor seal leaking on the WB coachs would be to remove the filter in the black housing up near the tag axle wheel.

I don't know why that filter is in place,when we have 3 more filters in the reservoir.

So,we have 3 filters stacked in the reservoir,the fluid is sucked through those filters by the pump,then the fluid goes to the fan motor and then from the fan motor its filtered before going back to the reservoir.
Really?

Of course theres a cooler and some switching involved,but i have never seen fluid filtered after the motor.

We are talking about 20 feet of hose,and one fan motor,of course on the 2 stroke engines the fluid also goes to the power steering.

I think the filter after the fan motor gets a little plugged up and the fluid has no where to go,the pump is driven by a huge engine,350hp to 500hp and the pump is not going to stall.
Whats the weak link in that system?
The hoses,which blow out sometimes,and the fan motor,which blows out the seal and in a case i know about the fan motors them selves blow the sides out.

The recent case of the fan motors blowing the sides out,the guy has blown 3 up in a week.
with the engine running (8V92) and with a tech watching the fan blade he would turn the fan over ride switch on and it would lock the motor tight,they use a broom handle to try and turn the fan,to no avail.

Then they reved up the engine and the side blew out of the motor.
3 times in a week (slow to learn techs).

Some hoses have been replaced as well,i have no info on if they blew out or?

The coach owner called me,looking for a new motor (after blowing up 3).
I told him he had a blockage,asked if he had changed the return line filter.
He had not changed it.
I told him to change it,but he never did.
I asked to speak to the techs,but never did.

That return line filter is very restrictive,if a hose starts to come apart inside it can plug that filter fast.
If you take the filter out,the oil will return to the res. and be filtered before returning to the pump.

Now heres an interesting tibit for you,the series 60 WB's don't have that return line filter,nor does the LX or LXI.

If i had that filter on a 2 stroke PT or WB i would be removing it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-20-2014
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
the first thing i would do if i had a fan motor seal leaking on the WB coachs would be to remove the filter in the black housing up near the tag axle wheel.

I don't know why that filter is in place,when we have 3 more filters in the reservoir.

So,we have 3 filters stacked in the reservoir,the fluid is sucked through those filters by the pump,then the fluid goes to the fan motor and then from the fan motor its filtered before going back to the reservoir.
Really?

Of course theres a cooler and some switching involved,but i have never seen fluid filtered after the motor.

We are talking about 20 feet of hose,and one fan motor,of course on the 2 stroke engines the fluid also goes to the power steering.

I think the filter after the fan motor gets a little plugged up and the fluid has no where to go,the pump is driven by a huge engine,350hp to 500hp and the pump is not going to stall.
Whats the weak link in that system?
The hoses,which blow out sometimes,and the fan motor,which blows out the seal and in a case i know about the fan motors them selves blow the sides out.

The recent case of the fan motors blowing the sides out,the guy has blown 3 up in a week.
with the engine running (8V92) and with a tech watching the fan blade he would turn the fan over ride switch on and it would lock the motor tight,they use a broom handle to try and turn the fan,to no avail.

Then they reved up the engine and the side blew out of the motor.
3 times in a week (slow to learn techs).

Some hoses have been replaced as well,i have no info on if they blew out or?

The coach owner called me,looking for a new motor (after blowing up 3).
I told him he had a blockage,asked if he had changed the return line filter.
He had not changed it.
I told him to change it,but he never did.
I asked to speak to the techs,but never did.

That return line filter is very restrictive,if a hose starts to come apart inside it can plug that filter fast.
If you take the filter out,the oil will return to the res. and be filtered before returning to the pump.

Now heres an interesting tibit for you,the series 60 WB's don't have that return line filter,nor does the LX or LXI.

If i had that filter on a 2 stroke PT or WB i would be removing it.
Ohh,i forgot to add that if the pump gets really loaded up,if the filter is plugged,the pump drive can shear off,which is a real PITA.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Ohh,i forgot to add that if the pump gets really loaded up,if the filter is plugged,the pump drive can shear off,which is a real PITA.

No way to compress fluid is there. Something has to move somewhere.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-20-2014
Forum owner

Our good friend Tommy Roundtree has had some of these issues.
I think his return line filter has been removed.

Heres the deal,even if the fan is idling,the fluid is being filtered by the res. filters and the return line filter,which means the pump has almost the same load on it at idle,as it does when the fan is working.

Maybe this is why the 2 stroke engines get the same mileage with the fan engaged,as it does with the fan at idle.

This info was well documented by Leroy E. on his 1990 WB.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-20-2014

Well of course it's the weekend now, so no one is around at the hydraulic places. But here is the problem' I am not sure exactly what motor is in there and I am no longer able to remove it myself' to find out. So I guess what I need is, if anyone knows what fan motor B.B. put in the 92 Birds. So far my best guess is a Webster model # 44970-33, but I am not sure that's what is in there.