Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 02-09-2015

Default 1983 PT36 No Reverse

Hello All, I was recently contacted by someone who saw my listing to sell my Bird last fall and made a deal. Today I took it over to General RV in White Lake, MI to have it detailed prior to my buyer coming on Wednesday to pick it up. It drove and shifted perfectly as always. At 4:00 PM I got a call from General telling me that they can't get it in reverse, but it will move forward. They added that in addition, when they turn the ignition key off it won't shut down. Okay, so they obviously didn't allow the air pressure to build up before trying to move it. When I finally arrived and got the air pressure up enough to release the brakes, it would go into drive, but when I put it in reverse it will only move if I rev the motor and then it grabs. So the question is: If they were essentially brake torqueing it in reverse, due to not enough air to release the brakes, did they cook my transmission, or is there something else that could be going on here that would cause it not to fully engage? The fluid is fine and does not appear to be burnt. Also, if the trans does need to be replaced/rebuilt, does anyone have any idea what the cost of that repair would be?

Kevin Crane
Waterford, MI
1983 PT36
Old 02-09-2015

The issue may be related to its recent detail. Over zealous use of a pressure washer may have gotten some electronic comments wet.

Jeff Mark
Mt. Vernon, MO
1995 WB42 S-60
Old 02-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm470 View Post
The issue may be related to its recent detail. Over zealous use of a pressure washer may have gotten some electronic comments wet.
Ditto...... What did they wash?
FMCA 387867
Old 02-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ditto...... What did they wash?
Just an exterior wash. They didn't go into the engine house at all. What type of electronic part if wet could cause it to not fully engage?

Kevin Crane
Waterford, MI
1983 PT36
Old 02-09-2015

Reverse is "All the way up" on the shifter, right? If you go back on the curb side of the transmission, you will see where the shifter cable (all 50' of it!) terminates at the side of the trans. It's right above the flange where the square pan bolts to the bottom. My guess is that your cable end has a bunch of crud on it, and is not fully engaging in reverse. Clean the end of the cable with a rag and some paint thinner or diesel. (NOT GUMOUT) Then have a helper move the shift lever back and forth (ENGINE OFF) and lubricate the end of the shift cable with some graphite or dry teflon lube. I'm not promising anything, but that's where I'd start. The shift cable should move back and forth easily.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 02-09-2015

Cable or touch pad?
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Reverse is "All the way up" on the shifter, right? If you go back on the curb side of the transmission, you will see where the shifter cable (all 50' of it!) terminates at the side of the trans. It's right above the flange where the square pan bolts to the bottom. My guess is that your cable end has a bunch of crud on it, and is not fully engaging in reverse. Clean the end of the cable with a rag and some paint thinner or diesel. (NOT GUMOUT) Then have a helper move the shift lever back and forth (ENGINE OFF) and lubricate the end of the shift cable with some graphite or dry teflon lube. I'm not promising anything, but that's where I'd start. The shift cable should move back and forth easily.
Thanks Shane, I'll do it! I sure hope you're right... Sometimes I feel if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. In any case, if I'm understanding, it is possible to open the reverse part of the valve body just enough to get a little flow, unlike an automotive transmission that has solid detents where the linkage snaps into position? On our PTs it is truly a matter of where the shift cable's throw ends. Does that make sense?

Kevin Crane
Waterford, MI
1983 PT36

Last edited by Dirty Birdie; 02-09-2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Reverse is all the way up!
Old 02-09-2015

Also, Reverse is all the way up.

Kevin Crane
Waterford, MI
1983 PT36
Old 02-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Cable or touch pad?
Cable

Kevin Crane
Waterford, MI