Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 12-29-2016

Default 1993 WB questions

Hello people we are new owners. I have searched the threads like crazy and cannot find my answers. We bought a 1993 WB which needed a little TLC and well I missed a few things...lol the rad being the worst.
1) I am redoing the dash air, converting it over to 134a. Reason why instead of roof air (it has 3) is we travel south in winter and I can use dash heat to help keep front windows clear. So where is the evaporator located? I am guessing top dash (below roof) where dash ac vents are? I want to totally clean the system as I am putting a new compressor on , the lines looked very rusty so want to flush them well.
2) has anyone wired a Magnum auto start system into their coach? We do a look of boon docking and think this would be a good idea. We went with the Magnum ME AGS. I am thinking for the 12 volt battery we could use the coach 12 volt gauge?
I have more questions but do not know if I should ask them all at once or in separate threads....
once again, this is a awesome group and I have found lots of info!!!!
email: allan.mitchell@sasktel.net
Old 12-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwen View Post
Hello people we are new owners. I have searched the threads like crazy and cannot find my answers. We bought a 1993 WB which needed a little TLC and well I missed a few things...lol the rad being the worst.
1) I am redoing the dash air, converting it over to 134a. Reason why instead of roof air (it has 3) is we travel south in winter and I can use dash heat to help keep front windows clear. So where is the evaporator located? I am guessing top dash (below roof) where dash ac vents are? I want to totally clean the system as I am putting a new compressor on , the lines looked very rusty so want to flush them well.
2) has anyone wired a Magnum auto start system into their coach? We do a look of boon docking and think this would be a good idea. We went with the Magnum ME AGS. I am thinking for the 12 volt battery we could use the coach 12 volt gauge?
I have more questions but do not know if I should ask them all at once or in separate threads....
once again, this is a awesome group and I have found lots of info!!!!
Welcome to the group and to being an owner of a '93. Mine doesn't have working dash air, as most of them don't. Most owners have found it not worth fixing and keeping it fixed due to the long lines from the compressor. Some have fixed theirs very successfully, but they did a lot of work. Most of us run the generator and the roof airs to keep the coach cool. I have never heard of anyone using the dash air to keep the windshield warm, especially since you have heaters and defrosters up front. If that isn't enough I suppose it would be cheaper and more efficient to use fans, which some have recently installed. If you have the Primus heat on along with the dash heat and defrosters, you will be run out of the coach. There will be more than enough heat for your needs. The evaporator is in the lower dash on the passenger side.

Have you checked to see if you have an auto generator start? I have one and it is located on the front storage bay, front wall, driver's side. There is no panel inside that tells me it is on. I have controls on the box in the bay and it takes care of it. As far as the Magnum unit I don't know anything about it, but several have Magnum inverter/chargers and like them.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 12-29-2016

thank you Jim for prompt reply!!!! I own the parts to fix the dash air so I am going to follow that through. When we leave Canada to head south in winter it can be -20F and last year was -40 with wind chill. So given air conditioning is also a dehumidifier I thought it would help. I have drove the coach the last couple weeks working on it and the defrost, drivers & passenger heat were not keeping front windows clear.... fans will help also...
In reference to the auto start generator....
could you take pics of that? I have a Kubota diesel generator with a powtertec controls, it has since been switched out with a Marathon generator...still maintaining the power tech controls...
So I thought adding the auto start to maintain batteries when we are away for the day would be a good idea... I see remote starts, drivers cock pit, kitchen galley and rear bedroom but no auto start....that I can see...
Once again thank you for you reply...
Old 12-29-2016

Before you convert the air conditioner to R134 look into using R12A also called Duracool and a couple of other names. It runs lower pressures (easier on the compressor) , has larger molecules (leaks less) is compatible with both types of compressor oils, is cheaper and is more efficient.
Old 12-30-2016
Tired and now Retired!!

Welcome Allan!!
We too have a 93WB and love it.
Our Dash Air does work and is on R134A.
A few years ago we had Parliament add an auto-start for our generator.
It is programmable, so you can set two triggers. One is the battery voltage and the other is the inside temp.
This works great for us as we did have 2 dogs that stayed inside.
We are now down to 1, but like the secure feeling that they will not get too hot.
I have purchased a Magnum inverter, but have yet to get it installed.
We have had a lot of "improvements/maintenance" items done to ours to get it to our standards.
The WOG is the best place to be to get information that will get you comfortable with your new Bird!!!
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 12-30-2016

Quote:
thank you Jim for prompt reply!!!! I own the parts to fix the dash air so I am going to follow that through. When we leave Canada to head south in winter it can be -20F and last year was -40 with wind chill. So given air conditioning is also a dehumidifier I thought it would help. I have drove the coach the last couple weeks working on it and the defrost, drivers & passenger heat were not keeping front windows clear.... fans will help also...
In reference to the auto start generator....
could you take pics of that? I have a Kubota diesel generator with a powtertec controls, it has since been switched out with a Marathon generator...still maintaining the power tech controls...
So I thought adding the auto start to maintain batteries when we are away for the day would be a good idea... I see remote starts, drivers cock pit, kitchen galley and rear bedroom but no auto start....that I can see...
Once again thank you for you reply...
I understand A/C is a good dehumidifier, but I never considered it for heat. Just don't know how warm it will be, but what do I know? You sound like you have your stuff and know what you are doing, so good luck. Here is the pic of my auto/start controller. When the top switch is set to Monitor it is set to work. The bottom switch selects 110v or 12v, your choice for your particular situation. 110v if hooked up to shore power or 12v if boon docking. Mine comes on if it drops to just below 12v and of course if shore power is disconnected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001 (7).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	46622

I would still put my money on two of these to do the job

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Dash-T...words=dash+fan

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 12-31-2016

thank you Jim for the reply with pictures.... I have 2 fans I installed also...
Canadian winters suck!!!!! (I am a ole bull hauler) had a 379 long nose..lol
I do not have one of those auto starts, wished I did though....
I am putting in a programable auto start basis battery voltage like Greg did, as I am not changing the inverter....
using a after market auto start (Magnum Energy), to monitor battery voltage in house batteries.
thank you Harold Kading on the Duracool but I am doing this in a shop and by Canadian laws I cannot use R12a, wished I could though as it is much more efficient, R134a is 25% less efficient as R12 or R12a (Duracool & Red
tech)
Greg Bryant do you know what kind of auto start they put in your coach?
I am trying to figure wiring out and looks like mine is a 3 wire start (due to diesel and glow plugs)....
Old 12-31-2016
Tired and now Retired!!

Quote:
...Greg Bryant do you know what kind of auto start they put in your coach?
I am trying to figure wiring out and looks like mine is a 3 wire start (due to diesel and glow plugs)....
They wired mine inside the coach above the driver. You can call them and ask what type of system they used. It was $400 for the unit and installation. If I recall correctly. I am not near my coach and will not be until the middle of next week. When I do get there I will add pictures if you do not have a solution by then.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks