Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 05-22-2017

Default BMC40 ABS, etc.

I searched WOG for info on the 1997 BMC ABS. Some posts mention ABS but not specifics. And I could only find generic drawings on Midland-Grau and related sites. My ABS is broken: the light comes on and stays on. Of course, its a safety issue and I need to check connections and supply voltage, etc., if accessible.
Could anyone please tell me where the component locations are: the front and rear axle sensors, control modules, etc. Has anyone had success with getting parts from Spartan or Midland-Grau/Haldex?
Is anyone using two 6-ton jack stands from Harbor freight under the front axle to give more creeper room underneath? I can't look or work under it if any of the underparts are even close to a squeeze . . . Are the jacks ok to lift to place the stands? Can't have this 21T bus get away from me. . .
Thank you all in advance!
2015 GMC Acadia Toad, AF One Brake
Midland, NC
dj.obrien@att.net
Preferred to PM

"A Bird in the barn is worth all the Birds on the web."
Old 05-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRovers View Post
I searched WOG for info on the 1997 BMC ABS. Some posts mention ABS but not specifics. And I could only find generic drawings on Midland-Grau and related sites. My ABS is broken: the light comes on and stays on. Of course, its a safety issue and I need to check connections and supply voltage, etc., if accessible.
Could anyone please tell me where the component locations are: the front and rear axle sensors, control modules, etc. Has anyone had success with getting parts from Spartan or Midland-Grau/Haldex?
Is anyone using two 6-ton jack stands from Harbor freight under the front axle to give more creeper room underneath? I can't look or work under it if any of the underparts are even close to a squeeze . . . Are the jacks ok to lift to place the stands? Can't have this 21T bus get away from me. . .
Thank you all in advance!
The only thing I can answer for sure is the Jack Stands you have in mind are way to small. I think You need 12 ton stands and a good base to place them on. Do not rely on the ground or a piece of wood. I use a 18" square steel plate under my stands.

ABS brakes will be a problem. Each hub has a sensor. They fail and the light come on. You still have very good brakes but they can now lock up and slide a tire. You might be able to talk with Spartan but I doubt they know where BB

put the controls.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-22-2017

Hi Dan, I found these schematics in the download section. http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...Schematics.pdf. I didn't read or look at them so what you need might or might not be here. Also Spartan is usually very helpful if you have the last , I think, seven numbers of your vin number. They also have an online store, rvchassisparts.com. Good luck
F110660
Old 05-22-2017

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-1522-22...on+jack+stands

Read the relay threads on ABS. It may, or may not apply to the Spartan Chassis.
Basicly, on my LX, I simply removed a relay and now everything works as it is suppose to.

Once the unit is "tripped" you have to use a magnet to reset it. Most times mud gets in a sensor and trips it. ONce it falls out it can be reset with a magnet. You do still have to find it. Mine is on the left side in the compartment right in front of the rear wheels and is easily seen once you open that bay door.
87 FC35 "Old School"
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 05-22-2017

Build yourself some wooden ramps. Under the bus is a scary place!
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 05-22-2017

Here's what I'm using but will be constructing some ramps this fall. My front end weight is right at the limit for these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1495484924886-1598409772.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	49023  
fmca 200288
eglider03@gmail.com
Old 05-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaker View Post
Here's what I'm using but will be constructing some ramps this fall. My front end weight is right at the limit for these.
I use wooden ramps and black tape. The ramps are for my belly to clear while on the creeper and the black tape is for the ABS light that I have given up on fixing.
Old 05-22-2017

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys! Please clarify: Are 12 ton stands rated as 12 tons individually, or rated for 12 tons only if a pair of 12 tons stands are used? I'm beginning to think I would be safer with a pair of 22 ton stands. I'm reading the ratings now on OTC, Omega, and Sunex truck stands.

And, are the leveling jacks useful to put the front end on and off the stands?

I'd seen the schematics. Mike gave me a set of large prints with the coach; not useful for my ABS problem.
I am interested in wood ramp designs. Would they not have to be capable of 12 tons plus 100% safety factor, or 24 tons total? I would have to get it made as I'm something of a wood butcher...
Are faulty ABS common to Birds? or BMC in particular? The WOG posts I found did not leave me with this impression. I better start looking around for that roll of black tape!
Thanks again!
2015 GMC Acadia Toad, AF One Brake
Midland, NC
dj.obrien@att.net
Preferred to PM

"A Bird in the barn is worth all the Birds on the web."
Old 05-23-2017

Dan,
Jack stand ratings are very confusing ie, very dangerous. Generally they are rated in pairs. Sometimes they are rated individualy, and are not marked as to how rated.
Old 05-23-2017

I have never checked out the sensors however I have seen what appears to be the main "brain" while under the coach. If memory serves it is on a forward bulkhead above the front axle in front of the fuel tank. There were cables that ran to each wheel location from there.

Sorry I don't have more.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad